Does the Muppet store in New York still exist?

Rugby

Reaction score
Did it close down? I tried to do a search on the internet for it and nothing came up. My brother is going out to New York tomorrow for a week and I asked him to stop by the store if he saw it and pick something up for me. Sorry if this is in the wrong topic. :confused:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Did it close down? I tried to do a search on the internet for it and nothing came up. My brother is going out to New York tomorrow for a week and I asked him to stop by the store if he saw it and pick something up for me. Sorry if this is in the wrong topic. :confused:
Muppet Stuff closed many years ago back in the late 80s I believe. I remember taking a trip there every year and all of a sudden it was a flower shop. That was it. Unfortunately they didn't open a new location. :sympathy:

There was also a chain of Sesame Street General Stores that opened and folded in the mid-90s. :frown:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard of such a store, do you have any more information, like what they sold?

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
Wow indeed! I've never heard of Muppet Stuff either, but I believe there was a Sesame Street store out here on Long Island at the Roosevelt Field mall. That was years ago, though!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This link for Muppet Stuff explains the history. It was a great little store where you could find everything from wind-up marching Doozers to Ludo plushes, Pigs in Space stationery to Muppet Babies puffy stickers. Anything and everything a Muppet fan could want at the time was there. It was a magical place that I never wanted to leave. The window displays were usually fun. The inside trim was painted with Kermits as I remember. However small it was there was a lot of care taken to make it a Muppety experience. :smile:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Awww, I never heard of it either, but I would have been too young to appreciate it, assuming it was even still around when I was born. It's a shame it's gone!
:frown:
:sympathy:

Rugby

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Jamie. I can't believe I forgot it was called Muppet Stuff and can't believe I didn't know it shut down years ago. That's too bad. To the time machine, Marty!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Awww, I never heard of it either, but I would have been too young to appreciate it, assuming it was even still around when I was born. It's a shame it's gone!
:frown:
:sympathy:

I remembber seeing ads for it in the back of Muppet Magazine, but never knew it was an actual store. As it was mail order, I think I thought it was just a storage warehouse that had these items in stock... or at least an adress you write to and order, like a catelogue.

But I DID see the SS store once out of the corner of my eye years and years ago. I really wish I went in to see what it was, but I assumed it was just SS based kiddy clothing.