Does Threepio know his family?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I won't see Episode III until Memorial Day weekend. (I'm waiting until I can see it with my family). In the meantime, I had a question for all you Star Wars buffs out there that has a friend of mine and I rather puzzled...

Why hasn't C-3PO made the name "Skywalker" connection with both Anakin and Luke? Now think about this:

Both R2-D2 and C-3PO have never had a memory flush. Owen told Luke to take them to Anchorhead to do that, but it never got done. Both droids have had their memories intact since Episode I.

Now, Threepio, as we all know, was built by Anakin. Obviously, he would have heard the name "Skywalker" at home, not to mention when he was carrying Anakin's flag at the Podrace. The announcer says "Young Anakin Skywalker!" The crowd cheers, and Threepio is right there at the race.

Okay, now fast forward to Episode II, where he recognizes "the maker!" right off the bat "and Miss Padme, oh my!" Threepio knows Anakin there as well.

Now...let's fast forward to Episode IV: A New Hope. Sure, Threepio doesn't know Luke's last name right off the bat...but he sure would have heard it later in at LEAST The Empire Strikes Back...at the beginning of the movie on Hoth. Threepio is RIGHT THERE when the Rebel Commander is saying "still no word from Commander SKYWALKER or Captain Solo". They close the doors and Luke is out in the snow, and Han keeps him warm with a hollowed out Tauntaun.

So, with hearing both those "Skywalker" names, why wouldn't have Threepio made that connection? He would've thought that Luke and Anakin were connected in some way...and with Episode II, Threepio would've seen Anakin in action with his lightsaber on Geonosis. Yes, his head was on a battle droid, but he did see a lot of slicing and dicing going on. That adds to the mystery.

We all know that Threepio CAN'T keep a secret! He's a blabbermouth, as we saw in Return of the Jedi. "Oh! Master Luke's come to rescue us!" In Jabba's palace, Threepio was completely in the dark about what was going on. So, why wouldn't he have said something like "Master Anakin was skilled with a lightsaber, just like you, Master Luke! Wait...he was a Skywalker, too...HEY!" (Threepio was there on the Falcon watching Chewie and R2 playing chess). He saw Luke using the saber there.

The only reason that Threepio didn't know about what happened to Luke's father when Obi-Wan explained it was that Threepio was turned off. "Sir, if you'll not be needing me, I'll close down for a while."

Some have also brought up Threepio's unfamilarity with Tatooine in Episode IV when he was there before. Could be that there are many desert planets along the Outer Rim with moisture farming communities like the Lars's had. What do you think?

Annnd...some say that Darth Vader recognized the dismantled Threepio on Chewie's back in Episode V. That's why he didn't let Boba Fett shoot him. (He pushed Fett's arm down). But some argue that Vader didn't let him shoot because either:

a) Vader's the boss, and no one shoots unless he says so.
b) Fett might miss and hit Han and they wanted him intact for the carbonite. This could be true. Stormtroopers are cloned from Boba's dad, and if we've learned anything about Stormtroopers, we've learned that:

a) they can't hit the broad side of a barn (or a Wookie) with their blasters
b) they smack their foreheads on opening doors (as we saw in Episode IV).
c) they get beat up by Ewoks (no wonder Vader's so grouchy...it's so hard to get good cloned help nowadays).

But back to Threepio...why didn't Threepio make the "Skywalker" connection between Anakin and Luke? He's seen both of them use lightsabers, he knows both their full names...and he's never had a memory flush.

If R2 knew all this, I think that R2 could keep a secret...but Threepio? What do you Star Wars buffs think?

I could just see Threepio jabbering to some psychologist...
"Darth Vader is my father! Oh dear!"

Convincing John

practicecactus

Reaction score
Why?..because Lucas is a p!$$ poor director and even $#!++ier writer.

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
I don't claim to be a die hard SW fan, but my (probably wrong) guess is that... Skywalker was a really common name back then? *Shrug*

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
Why hasn't C-3PO made the name "Skywalker" connection with both Anakin and Luke?
Watch Ep 3, it gets answered, everything is very nicely tied together.
Convincing John said:
Annnd...some say that Darth Vader recognized the dismantled Threepio on Chewie's back in Episode V. That's why he didn't let Boba Fett shoot him. (He pushed Fett's arm down).
I've always heard that too, and over the week I'm going to watch the original trilogy again very closely and see.

I do know that if you watch a New Hope, Obi Wan clearly reacts to seeing R2D2 when he comes to the side of an unconscious Luke. The great thing about Ep. III is it explains:
* Why Obi Wan lives on Tatooine.
* Why Threepio doesn't remember anything.
* Why Luke and Lea are seperated and why she's royalty.
* And if you think about it; why Chewie gives Han such a hard time everytime he wants to leave the rebellion.

It's worth seeing, it is freakin' amazing. Visually the most stunning movie I've ever seen.