Doesn't it seem like Richard Hunt was underused?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
golden teeth said:
On way you know he was underused and not appreciated enough is that not one of his characters was recast!
That's not true. The Two-Headed Monster, Sonny friendly (a minor character who I'm surprised was recast) and Gladys The Cow were all recast. Sure, Gladys wasn't recast untill 2003, I've read that the to-headed monster wasn't recast untill 1997, and I don't know when Sonny friendly was recast, but they were. I have also read that Osvaldo was recast, but I don't know if that was before or after Richard Hunt died. Sully was also occassionally used after Richard Hunts death. I don't know who performed him or if Sully even had a regular replacement performer (Sully never spoke, so anybody could have performed him, although even though he didn't talk, Sully still didn't make too many appearances). Also, Forgetful Jones often appeared in non-speaking roles after Richard Hunts death (in Sesame Streets 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration, Elmo Saves Christmas, and Elmopalooza), and Gladys was occassionally used in non-speaking parts before she was recast.

golden teeth

Reaction score
But even if they now have no lines, then they're not technically recast. Gladys, thinking about it, has been on the show every once in a while recently. Everyone else has no lines and is used very infrequently.

Same with the Muppets. He had a big role in the Muppets, but until 1999, his character Scooter didn't even appear(he didn't even appear in MTI or MCC). He had one line in MFS and is now back. Janice didn't even get lines until 2002!

BEAR

Reaction score
golden teeth said:
But even if they now have no lines, then they're not technically recast. Gladys, thinking about it, has been on the show every once in a while recently. Everyone else has no lines and is used very infrequently.

Same with the Muppets. He had a big role in the Muppets, but until 1999, his character Scooter didn't even appear(he didn't even appear in MTI or MCC). He had one line in MFS and is now back. Janice didn't even get lines until 2002!

Maybe they needed to take enough time before bringing back those characters more regularly. They didn't want to just give anyone the character they had to think about it. Also, maybe they weren't prepared to have anyone take over his characters yet the way they are doing now with Big Bird. Hunt's characters were not like Kermit the Frog where they needed a replacement right away.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In a way it seems like Richard Hunt and Jerry nelson were kidn of the opposites regarding The Muppet Show and Sesame Street. On The Muppet Show, Richard Hunt had an A-list character, Scooter, while Jerry Nelson didn't really have any A-list characters (I think Floyd would be a very high B-list character, while Robin would either be a high B-list or C-list character, and Lew Zeland, Dr. Strangepork, and Pops were also very high C-list characters). On Sesame Street, Jerry Nelson has an A-list character, The Count, but Richard Hunt didn't really have any A-list characters.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
In a way it seems like Richard Hunt and Jerry nelson were kidn of the opposites regarding The Muppet Show and Sesame Street. On The Muppet Show, Richard Hunt had an A-list character, Scooter, while Jerry Nelson didn't really have any A-list characters (I think Floyd would be a very high B-list character, while Robin would either be a high B-list or C-list character, and Lew Zeland, Dr. Strangepork, and Pops were also very high C-list characters). On Sesame Street, Jerry Nelson has an A-list character, The Count, but Richard Hunt didn't really have any A-list characters.

Excellent point. And also remember that Richard and Jerry were teamed up quite a bit. They were very close.