1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dog City: Miss Belle's accent

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by mupcollector1, Oct 13, 2012.

1. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Just curious, what kind of New York accent is that? Brooklyn, Bronx? For some reason, her voice reminds me of Batman's Harley Quinn a little bit :) I always enjoy the classic 40s new york accent about as much as I enjoy the British accent. :) They are my two favorite accents.
    Cory Stoczynski likes this.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I could probably answer that, but is it the TV special or is it an episode of the cartoon series you're looking for? I could help you if you're a little specific.
  3. mupcollector1

The Jim Henson Hour episode.
  4. mupcollector1

I think it might be sort of a Brooklin accent from the 30s or 40s something like that. It's kind of like Harley Quinn's accent from Batman the Animated Series. Like I mentioned, there's something about the old New York accents I really admire. Plus the puppeteer Camille Bonora, she's one of my favorite performers :)
  5. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

My guess is that it could be a homage to Betty boop!
  6. mupcollector1

Hmm, I don't know. The voice is simular but I think Betty's voice is more high pitched. And I don't remember Betty having an accent. Though I do love those Betty Boop cartoons. Minnie the Moocher is probably my favorite. Those Flecture cartoons are super weird, even the black and white Popeye cartoons. lol

I really like the slang that was even used in the 40s and 30s and possibly swinging 20s like"Cut a slice of rug" meaning dancing on the dance floor. Stuff like that. I've always been kind of old school with stuff like that. Dead End Kids, Three Stooges, Marx Brothers, and of course the Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker cartoons of the 1940s. :)

I love Miss Belle's line "Oh My Dog, I broke a claw! Oh Bugsy.(wimpering)" lol And Jim as Bugsy Them, amazing performance. :) Kind of like a Harley Quinn / Joker sort of situation basically about 3 or 4 years a head of it's time :)

I love the Jim Henson Hour, I can't for it to come to a complete DVD boxset someday.
  7. Kuriboh Man

Well Considering that they released the Dog City Movie as well song of the Cloud Forest on DVD it might be a possibility!
  8. mupcollector1

I think it's in the matter of some kind of deal with the Jim Henson Company and Disney (since they own The Muppets now).
  9. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that the JHC still have the rights to the Dog City TV show, actually.
  10. mupcollector1

Right. You know, I rarely seen the TV series. All I know about it was the live action segments, the puppets are recycled like Ace U is a new character that's a cartoonist, Bugsy Them is performed by Brian Mueal. (Anyone know how to spell his last name? And is it pernounced like meal or other) and the animation half. But one of the weird things I've always noticed was when ever Jim's creations are transformed to an animated format (Muppet Babies, Animated Fraggle Rock, Little Muppet Monsters segments, etc), none of the original Muppeteers ever do the voices. But I suppose that's just for another thread. lol

Anyway, back to Miss Belle's accent. Won't anyone say it's more on the Brooklyn side, kind of 1930s / 1940s?
  11. Kuriboh Man

someone has episodes of that show on youtube and I heard you can watch them from Amazon!
  12. mupcollector1

I remember seeing some also for Netflix, the streaming video selection they have on their site. Monster Maker is on there too I believe, even Dinosaurs. :) I remember having a video release of the show, I found it at Burlington Coat Factory around the time when VHS was disappearing.
  13. Kuriboh Man

interesting!
  14. mupcollector1

Anyway back to my original question, what does everyone think Miss Belles accent is?
  15. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Who is Miss Belle? I watched Dog City not too long ago, but I'm not able to recall who exactly Mis Bell is...
  16. mupcollector1

Bugsy Them's (Jim's lead character) girlfriend.
  17. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Ah, alright. I couldn't remember who that was off hand.

As for her accent, I'd have to rewatch a clip of her or something, and even then, I'm not the greatest at anything involving accents, so I probably won't be much help there... :p