Duncan Kenworthy to produce "My Fair Lady" remake

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Duncan Kenworthy, producer of The Storyteller and co-creator of Fraggle Rock, is producing a remake of the classic musical "My Fair Lady."

A few articles about this production:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117986985.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
http://www.fusedfilm.com/2009/12/john-madden-set-to-direct-my-fair-lady-remake/

Sounds interesting. I'm a fan of the original film, and it's certainly one of the best adaptations of a musical play ever put on film. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it. They definitely have a lot of talent attached. Hopefully it will be good!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... The 1 thing that comes to mind they could do to distinguish this remake from the original movie is restore the original ending from the novel.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well... The 1 thing that comes to mind they could do to distinguish this remake from the original movie is restore the original ending from the novel.
That would be interesting. I've always had a hard time choosing a favorite ending. Higgins' "Where the devil are my slippers?" line is a great ending, but so is the idea of Higgins going a bit coo-coo when Eliza marries Freddy (but of course they end up living with Higgins, so everyone gets to be miserable).

There are a few things from Pygmallion which could be added. Pickering is much more involved in Pygmallion, even joining Higgins in the speech to Higgins' mother about how much fun they're having. And, actually, there is some small bits from Pygmallion that were added to the film version of My Fair Lady (I don't believe Zolton Karpathy is actually in the stage musical).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
They ended up living with Higgins? I've always remembered the novel ending with Freddy and Eliza opening their own flower shop away from Prof H.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Just looked it up. They don't live with Higgins. Initially, the play ended with Higgins simply laughing about the fact that Eliza and Freddy would get married. It really doesn't show what would happen afterward. But there are so many other endings for various productions and printings.

Beauregard

Reaction score
*stunned beyond stunning* (Sorry...I'll put down these jellyfish) Okay, what oh what is the point of this? Unless it's being modernised, I cannot imagine the point in remaking this AT ALL. How can it be made better? How! I mean HOW! *is rather passionate about the original movie, sorry*

I'd only think this was worth watching, if it had something to add...something to recreate, something to continue or distinguish...Making it for the sake of it, or to showcase certain actors just seems such a waste...

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I'm passionate about the original as well (even though I believe it's a crime what they did to Audrey Hephburn. If you didn't like her voice, why'd ya hire her?). But I do think it sounds like a worthwhile endeavor. I wouldn't like a modernization, but I like their idea of setting it in reality, rather than have the entire thing on a soundstage. Also mixing it more with Pygmallion would be nice to see.

Though... who on earth could ever fill Rex Harrison's shoes? That's a bit of casting I look forward to seeing... as well as dread seeing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is the same film that's been in pre-production for a while. Keira Knightley will star in a un updated version of the classic musical. I don't quite know what to think of that.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm with you Scooter (literally...check behind you...), I'm worried more than anything about the Rex Harrison part -- mostly because no one speaks like that anymore, and secondly, if they were to...it would probably just sound forced and fake. He's left some huge shoes (slippers?) to fill.