Dyeing antron fleece

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
So, I'm about to buy my first piece of antron fleece to begin making my first puppet.. but it only comes in white, and I have no clue (literally, no idea) how to go about dyeing it. I wanted to make either a frog type puppet or a Fraggle type puppet (I already have a pattern, foam, the filling for the arms, and the pieces for the mouthpiece and stuff) so I want either green or pink.. but I don't know how to go about dyeing antron fleece..

Could anyone help? :smirk:

wes

Reaction score
Project puppets Glorious Sock pattern makes a good Fraggle-esk looking puppet

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one I bought. It's great! Or.. will be, when I get the fleece and dye it properly. If I dye it properly..

wes

Reaction score
it's not hard at all, I just dyed a yard a couple of days ago in the kitchen sink.

I use rite dye from my local grocery store. I heat up some water to disolve the granules ( I also add salt, they say that helps) in a mason jar. then i fill a tub with very hot water, i add the mason jar filled with the liquid dye to the tub of hot water. have your antron pre soaked with hot water then add it to the dye bath and let it soak for 5-10 minutes keeping the antron submerged. I occasionally pull a end out and test to see how it's soaking up.

then I wring out the excess and let in spinn out in the washer and let air dry.

Doesn't take long at all, BOBS YOUR UNcle, well mine is atleast!

RomanaFraggle

Reaction score
That sounds so easy! I can't wait to start trying it! ^_^ thanks for all your help!

spcglider

Reaction score
I recommend RIT dye over most others. And I have to caution you STRONGLY away from the brand called Dyelon or Dylon or whatever it is. It sucks.

The other thing I suggest is that after you've dyed the fabric, rinsed it thoroughly and wrung out as much moisture as you can, that you lay it out flat to air dry. Don't hang dry... that can possibly cause the ends to drip-dry into a darker shade than the part at the top. If you put it in the dryer it will change the nap A LOT. And it can get pretty ugly. I usually let it air dry over night and it comes out pretty good.

-Gordon