Early Camera Bert and Ernie Skit - help!

ponamytrail

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have this posted in the 'episodes that scared you' thread, but thought I would post separate as well.
Memory is a funny thing; and perhaps my earliest,(to an extent) is a Bert and Ernie skit, that I haven't seen or read of since. Perhaps it is a disjointed combination of a few skits. Maybe it's all in my head. Can someone help?

The skit had to have been from one of the earliest seasons. It went something like this, and I may very well have parts wrong.
Bert accuses Ernie of taking cookies off a plate in the apartment whenever the lights go out. Ernie inisists that he is innocent.
To prove this, somehow a camera is rigged up with a flashbulb. (I think it is Bert's and I think it was one of those old cameras with the accordion thing)
When the lights go out, the camera will take a picture, and they will get to the bottom of this.
They turn out the lights, and the TV screen is black. You hear some noise, and then there is a white flash (the bulb), and then its black again.
They turn the lights on, and sure enough, there are cookies missing, but they go to the camera to see their proof (I think it develops then and there somehow, but I may be wrong)
They look at the photo and both shudder.
THEN, the POV changes to over their shoulders, and you see the picture!
It is a glossy black and white photo of a monster (I believe the Beautiful Day Monster, as offered to me in the other thread), caught in the act, with his eyes wide and his mouth open in surprise.
I don't know what happens after this, or how the skit resolves.
And the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure. But I do know that something like this was in an early skit, and that it scared me as a kid (seeing the photo), and I hid under the kitchen table.

Could anyone provide insight? I would be very interested to hear, see, or reconstruct this one.

Thanks!

Splurge

Reaction score
ponamytrail said:
Memory is a funny thing; and perhaps my earliest,(to an extent) is a Bert and Ernie skit, that I haven't seen or read of since. Perhaps it is a disjointed combination of a few skits. Maybe it's all in my head. Can someone help?
Well, I won't jump to the conclusion that there was no such skit.

But I will say that it sounds to me like a few other skits. There was one with that old fashioned camera of which you described, where Ernie wanted to take a picture of 7 cupcakes on a plate. When he takes the picture it causes a brief flashing of light and when the smoke clears the 7 cupcakes are now 6. Soon the picture develops and Ernie produces a large photo of Cookie Monster next to the plate with one cupcake in his mouth. (This skit is on the video "Learning to Add and Subtract" and the photo is in the Time Magazine article from 1970.)

The other possible skit is the one where Bert believes that Ernie took his cookies, after having seen a fella with black hair and an Ernie shirt take them and give an Ernie laugh. As it turns out, it was Cookie Monster in an Ernie disguise.

Do these sound familiar to you?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
ponamytrail said:
Hey all,
I have this posted in the 'episodes that scared you' thread, but thought I would post separate as well.

The skit had to have been from one of the earliest seasons. It went something like this, and I may very well have parts wrong.
Bert accuses Ernie of taking cookies off a plate in the apartment whenever the lights go out. Ernie inisists that he is innocent.
To prove this, somehow a camera is rigged up with a flashbulb. (I think it is Bert's and I think it was one of those old cameras with the accordion thing)
When the lights go out, the camera will take a picture, and they will get to the bottom of this.
They turn out the lights, and the TV screen is black. You hear some noise, and then there is a white flash (the bulb), and then its black again.
They turn the lights on, and sure enough, there are cookies missing, but they go to the camera to see their proof (I think it develops then and there somehow, but I may be wrong)
They look at the photo and both shudder.
THEN, the POV changes to over their shoulders, and you see the picture!
It is a glossy black and white photo of a monster (I believe the Beautiful Day Monster, as offered to me in the other thread), caught in the act, with his eyes wide and his mouth open in surprise.
I don't know what happens after this, or how the skit resolves.
And the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure. But I do know that something like this was in an early skit, and that it scared me as a kid (seeing the photo), and I hid under the kitchen table.

Could anyone provide insight? I would be very interested to hear, see, or reconstruct this one.

Thanks!
i think this skit was mentioned quite a number of pages back.

ponamytrail

Reaction score
thanks for the insight. I read as many of the 86 pages as I could muster, before I posted this one, and couldn't find a match, although I remember just about every other one.

Sadly, I think the nail may have been hit on the head as this being an amalgam of two different skits, that of the cookie monster and the cupcakes skit mentioned, and the earliest one with beautiful day monster learning about the letter "B". (His eyes widening as it faded to white, as recalled by mokeystar in another post)

It's funny, as my remembered version seems quite precise in my mind, but the points you have brought up are quite valid. I'd love to see these two skits again.

Thanks!