Eisner confirms Disney could buy Henson and Muppets soon

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The King went home.

Hey, did you know Disney's going through financial troubles? (at least the Disney Store is) If the whoe company is, though, imagin what could have happened to the Muppets if they had bought them!

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
park attendance is down 18% and they have a new offer 7 nights for the price of 4

Sarah

if only airlines weren't so high.....

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Hey, did you know Disney's going through financial troubles? (at least the Disney Store is) If the whoe company is, though, imagin what could have happened to the Muppets if they had bought them!
Yes, they'd be better off than they are now. I'm not bashing the Henson family and I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to jump-start the franchise (they'd have to), but the Muppets need all the help they can get and need a money-rich conglomerate behind them. Disney's finances are kinda tight, but they ain't poor. And seeing how they came close to getting Henson, what, two or three times, maybe there's something there (OK, I don't even know what that meant).

But hey, we'll see how this new era of strategic partnerships goes. I'm just grateful Classic and Sesame didn't get it. :grouchy:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
If the whoe company is, though, imagin what could have happened to the Muppets if they had bought them!
I had actually meant that in a bad way. If Disney bought them, and started going through financial roubles, the Muppets'd be the first to go (not literaly, but, you can bet we would have been seeing a whole lot less of them).

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
the Muppets'd be the first to go (not literaly, but, you can bet we would have been seeing a whole lot less of them).
Well, it's not like we're seeing a bunch of them now, thought it looks like we may. Once again, I'm glad Classic and Sesame didn't get them.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by BoyRaisin2
Well, it's not like we're seeing a bunch of them now, thought it looks like we may. Once again, I'm glad Classic and Sesame didn't get them.
We've been seeing a ton of the Muppets on TV lately! Either in interviews, on Hollywood Squares, etc. The month of May was quite a big month for the Muppets on TV.

And as far as them actually doing alot, 2002 was a god year for that. They made the TV movie, Kermit's Swamp Years, and several TV commercials. It was probably a better year than some times during the 1960s!

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yes, 2002 was a good year for the Muppets (heck, they were in a music video!). But can it continue? I think it can, but the Hensons will need to work hard to achieve that. I'm not talking about toys and obscure game show appearances, I mean well, first and foremost, a new show! We're not even sure how the Fox show is progressing, though I guess those plans are still going forward.

By the time Henson was sold to EM.TV in 2000, it needed help from a greater power to keep the franchise going. They can't live on Hollywood Squares forever.

The Muppets need to be working on a regular basis or they will be considered and remain a deteriorating franchise, though the recent Muppet events are a good sign, none moreso than the NBC movie.

So we'll see how it all goes.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
They are making 2 TV movies that are coming up.

And, yes, I agree with you. The Muppets can't stick only to H2 forever. Muppets live not by Hollywood Squares alone!

And, you're right, they really do need that TV show. And so do we. :smile:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
So they ARE doing more TV movies for sure is that a rumor? I keep hearing about the 2 theatrical films (Haunted House, Time Travel) and possibly another NBC movie, but I don't know which is true.

Yes, we NEED the TV show. Recently, I've just craved a new weekly Muppet show. After watching the Odyssey Muppetisms on the 'net and watching the NBC movie, I just want to see the characters do something new and funny week after week. I want to know what they're up to and how they have changed and see the new gang (Pepe, Fiamma, etc) increase in popularity and the older guys to be in the spotlight as well. I don't even care if the show's short-lived (OK I do care). I don't even care if it's on basic cable, just give us something. Heck, make more Muppetisms, those were some of the best things Henson has done since Jim died IMO.

I just need more stuff to watch. The 1st, 2nd, or 3rd thing I want the Hensons to do is sign some deal with Nickelodeon, Disney, or whoever and get the series and specials from the Henson library and put them on TV. I ain't going to the Museum of TV & Radio in New York anytime soon.

Huhhh, it's not easy bein' a hardcore Muppet fan.
:smirk:

Luke

Reaction score
It doesn't look good for the Fox show at all, and i think it is suggested they could be doing one new TV movie for NBC with another possibly to follow - but thats nowhere near official. If any of this is happening we'll know very shortly.

There are apparently new projects yet to be announced though - not sure what they are.