Elmo Fur

eing6888

Reaction score
Hi,

I am working on my first puppet , which is Elmo replica. I've been Searching red faux fu, but still not sure which one to go with. A fur from this website looks pretty good to me http://www.bigzfabric.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_254_252&products_id=1320 ,but I don't know how accurate the picture represent the actual fur. Also I have heard about boiling technique from this website, but I don't have an access to kitchen at all (I am a college student);would soaking in very hot water do the job?

Thank you so much

Animal31

Reaction score
I just throw it in scalding hot water for about 5-6 minutes and then put it in the dryer. The thing with Mongolian furs is that they are very thin, so try a test piece in the water and dryer first to see if it falls out or not....and good luck with the build!

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've boiled fur, and I've always used water brought to boiling on the stove, then dumped it into a bucket with the fur in it and swirled it around for a minute or so. Hot tap water doesn't do the job. I've never tried putting the fur through the dryer, so that may work too.

Animal31

Reaction score
Hot tap water is what I use, highest setting, never had a problem with it. But I honestly think the dryer is what has the most effect...

Slackbot

Reaction score
Either it's the dryer, or your tap water is much hotter than mine.

Animal31

Reaction score
It could be, honestly, I thought the same as you until I tried it...

Muppetlab

Reaction score
I tried with hot tap water.. But it didnt really have the effect i wanted..

Animal31

Reaction score
All I can say is try it, I've haven't had that happen to me but the first time when I didn't leave it in long enough and let it air dry. Also, he is looking at using Mongolian which is a different type of fur, so I'm not really sure what it will do...

eing6888

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you so much for your suggestions. Any input on the fur type or supplier?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I buy luxury shag fur from fabric.com. That's what I've used on all my puppets, and it gets a lovely woolly texture when you boil it. I've used it on all my puppets.

It's the same fur that you can buy on mendels.com as "Punky Muppet" fur, but Mendels' prices are higher.