Elmo Toy in Sex And The City 2?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Okay, so, it's actually not Elmo himself but rather an Elmo toy that appeared in the trailer for Sex and the City 2.

I was actually wondering, because I've seen Muppet merch appear in movies and tv-series before (such as a Tutter toy in Dr Who), do they have to pay royalties for using these Muppet likenesses in movies?

For example, the Elmo toy appearing in SATC 2 may suggest to some that Sesame Workshop support the kind of goings on seen in the series (it doesn't suggest it to me, but there are zealous mothers and fathers out there). Would they have to pay for using these characters in such a throw-away moment?

Anyway...heaven help us if Samantha were to get hold of Elmo's Tickle Hands...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
She already has. But then again, you haven't seen the celebrity Word of the Day bits with SJP from this year nor Katrell from last either. Pffeh.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I actually recently read a report about this - not Elmo's appearance in SATC2 specifically but about the increased use of product placement in tv and movies. Expect to see much more of this due to the reality of more shows being viewed online with limited commercials and more people skipping over commercials with dvrs, tivo, etc.

I don't mind product placement when it's done well and not that obtrusive/obvious. When done well, it makes a program more realistic seeing characters use products that exist in the real world and not some obvious generic "we're avoiding naming a company" prop. And of course if it means seeing Muppet toys, posters, Halloween costumes in the background of ABC shows, Disney movies and elsewhere, i'm not gonna be complaining too loudly!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate when they have to blur something out when it comes to that case, myself. After all, they reportedly blurred out references to the Muppet Show Muppets (and once instance of Carol Spinney wearing a Mickey shirt) in the 40th anniversary DVD.

I don't see how an SS product cameo in a movie for adults (as opposed to an "adult movie"- the confusing euphemism for X-rated features) is bad at all, nor do I see how SJP (who was welcomed on SS's Israeli Co-production special years before) and Katrell is any different than having the likes of Richard Pryor (who had a history of problems and a very controversial comedy routine) and Robin Williams (who has done provocative stuff and kid's stuff at the same time in cases).

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Next week on "Sex and the Street..."

What will Zoe do when her friendship with Abby is strained by her interest in Elmo? Will Rosita ever meet the right guy? Will Prairie Dawn finally marry Cookie Monster?

Stay tuned!