EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes but it tries to get that audience by bringing out kiddy movies like *I hate to say this AGAIN* Kermit's Swamp Years.

Sorry guys to keep bringing it up.

But maybe the Muppet's are meant for the older ones, SS is for little ones, BIBBH is for slightly older ones, Moppotop's Shop is for slightly older, Muppet's are for teens and adults.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
A Muppet show dealing with real life would be cool, i don't know if the boarding house would have anything to do with it but it would be fun to see a show were the muppet do things in there daily life, Pepe going to nightclubs, Fozzie going food shoping, Miss Piggy ridingaround in a limo, they could add many guest stars in the show maybe?

As for the Jetsons movie, i just heard of the idea, never really known one could be produced, i hope it is thought!

Zack

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
I'm not sure if the Muppets would perform well after American Idol. A few years back, Fox premiered a funny, smart, exciting sci-fi show called Sliders. Because Fox had respect for the show, they gave it a time slot behind their hottest show: Beverly Hills 90210. That crowd couldn't follow Sliders, and so the show was plagued with bad ratings for the rest of its life. (The story's much more complicated than that, but that's the short version.) I fear putting a savvy Muppet series behind bubbly-headed Idol, even if Idol is the top show, can only spell problems.
I loved Sliders, it was one of my favorite shows. And I agree about American Idol. It's obviously one of the most popular shows but for the most part, I don't think the audience is the right one for the Muppets. Don't get me wrong, I watch and enjoy American Idol but I think for the most part, it's too comprised of teenybopper types. I think a better time slot would be with the Simpsons as someone previously mentioned.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

Here's my thoughts on a few things.

JHC does need to worry about the promotional aspect of things, but as merchandise is on the rise, and word of mouth is working, there is a need for promotion, but even if it is minimalistic it will work. There is a mass appeal for the Muppets from all ages, and they draw attention. Word of mouth is working because I have a friend who is at least getting the Palisades EM Band together, and another who is getting the main characters, but still they're buying! If they get the buzz out by means of online newsletters and emails, or press releases/conferences, that will get the buzz rolling too.

MF2: SS Theme? It would be nice, but JHC doesn't own those characters anymore, so it would be highly unlikely. Now that Elmo belongs to Sesame Workshop, what is the liklihood of him appearing at another MFest anyways? Not too likely, I wouldn't imagine. Kevin Clash is now performing other classic TMS characters, right? I don't remember which ones, though.

Also, regarding MF2, I just want one, I don't care where!! They HAD to let me off last time to go, because I was going to quit if they didn't and then beg for the position back later if I had to. I was SERIOUS about going, huh? LOL!

merchandise: I don't want to be over-saturated with Muppet stuff, because then you get cheesy, low-quality products. Pooh was mentioned earlier, and after working at The Disney Store, I have become a very big un-fan of the bear.

SHOWS/MOVIES: Yes. Bring 'em on. ABC, FOX, I don't care. We need these things in production YESTERDAY!! I hope they get into the best time slot on the best day because they need it, and so do we. They for the attention, us because..well, I'm going through Muppet withdrawals.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
There is a mass appeal for the Muppets from all ages, and they draw attention.
Are we watching the same Muppets here ? :stick_out_tongue:

You are bang on the money about Sesame Street being featured at a Muppetfest. The event made them little money as it was - they aren't likely to use time in a showcase event to promote some other companies characters. Clash doesn't puppeteer other Muppet characters now besides Clifford - he just looped one voice for Sam. I think he was probably able to do Elmo before because Sesame would have just seen it as a promotional appearance. I tend to agree that Spring/Summer 2004 is most likely to be the next Muppetfest and it does seem to be something Hensons want to do again. The only way they can afford to do it is if they use it as a marketing/promotion event too so near to the start of the new show would be perfect and i highly doubt that will air until next March at the earliest. I'm not so sure there will be another 'Muppet Show Live' to go with a Muppetfest, there were rumors that the first one was a one-off and there didn't seem to be one planned for the 2003 fest that didn't happen. I think NY is a fantastic idea and celebrating the Muppets connection with the place but i also like the original cheaper idea for the Muppetfest's where they would have been held at Chaplin and included some kind of a show staged there.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
There was a TMTM exhibit in Central Park? How cool is that? Do give details, please!
Yup. Back in 84 or 85 they had a mini exhibit inside a small building in Central Park. There was a making-of featurette that included extensive Muppet Baby footage. They also had puppets on display - mainly Kermit and Miss Piggy at the alter. I was really young so I don't remember too much, but know I stayed there for 90 minutes! Very cool stuff. I wish Henson would do these mini exhibits in major cities around the time their films opened. It would be good PR, but might be too expensive. I don't know how much it would cost to transport a couple of puppets and set up a monitor to show behind the scenes footage, but it would be worth it. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke

C'mon Scooby is just as well recognised and welcomed as the Muppets are nowdays, and whether Scooby looks dated or not - it sells. That's all that matters - Henson would KILL for Scoobys younger audience.
Eh, you cant *meet* anyone from Scooby Do:wink:(or anyone from Disney or Looney Tunes canon:wink:

Muppetfest: Oh heck yeah I hope it comes this December...no matter where. Im guessing NYC tho. And dear goodness there *better* be a Sesame Street theme, a strong presence there. Spinney, Brill, you name it. I also hope for more of a Fraggle Rock acknowlegement, maybe even a refurbished Uncle Matt?

New Fox Show...please, oh please let it be this Fall! I just hope too it isnt some variety show...talk about dated.

A new movie...I hope JHC can rexamine what didnt work so well with their last decade of Muppet/Sesame films...and go from there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Eh, you cant *meet* anyone from Scooby Do:wink:(or anyone from Disney or Looney Tunes canon:wink:
Yeah... you can meet the voice over actors, but that's about it!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Sorry, Kev and Luke. I disagree that a Sesame presence at MF is that unlikely. It's like people saying that no more Sesame/TMS crossovers are possible now that EM.TV sold off the characters. But the Sesame sale came in early 2001, I believe, and Elmo appeared with them in MF later that year. The reason we don't see many crossovers is because they weren't all that common anymore before the sale anyway. But come on -- would they really have a MF in New York WITHOUT the most famous NY Muppets? It's not like "oh, that's a different company now; we don't talk about THEM anymore" -- all the same puppeteers are working on both productions. If it's that big a deal legality-wise, JHC can ask Sesame Workshop to be the co-sponsors of the event. Obviously, if the Workshop was willing to buy the Muppets just two weeks ago, they still have an appreciation for and a desire to work with these people.

And if Henson doesn't have a second TMS Live at the next MF, they're fools, because that was the highlight of the whole event. I think everyone knew how wonderful it was. I don't think they weren't planning on having it for the next MF so much as plans have never gotten far enough along for them to really talk about it. Even if it doesn't have everything I mentioned, there ought to be some kind of performance to end the Fest on a high note.

All that, of course, is just my opinion. :smile:

Jamie: The display sounds awesome. Reminds me of the touring shows they'd have for SS going through J.C. Penney every year, with the mechanical figures....of course, that's a discussion for a whole different thread! :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
No you are right on target Chilly.

It would be aggregious not to have a huge Sesame presence. Me personally, I could give a flying frick about the fact EMTV sold off CTW from JHC completely...to me and a lot of folks Sesame Workshop and Sesame Street will always be JHC forever.
This 'shhh, we cant talk about a Sesame crossover anymore...they are no longer part of JHC". What, were gonna let some corrupt German company revision history?

We saw Elmo click and mingle so well with the classic Muppet characters at MF, so it would be a real treat to see Telly, Oscar, etc. in there as well.

I would love nothing more than to see future Sesame corssovers with Muppet Show guys, be it in a movie, film, etc.

Speaking of fillms, in the late 70's/80's the Muppet films had original fun/inspirational music, Sesame cameos, heart, and real life locations. Thats all gone now, and Im hoping JHC can bring that back.

We never though Hensons buying back JHC was a likely scenario...so this kind of changes the rules...anything seems possible now. I really would not be surprised if we are reading through MC this summer and do a spit take at news of a confirmed Muppetfest for late this year.