Empire acquires rights to Jim Henson screenplay

What do you think of Empire acquiring the rights to the Henson screenplay?

• The movie is a great idea. I hope that it gets produced.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • I'm concerned that it can be done well and will honor Jim.

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • It's not worth doing if either Disney or Sesame don't support the movie.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I don't want to see it. Hollywood will likely misrepresent Jim’s life.

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Red Green needs to play Jim Henson hands down he almost even sounds like Jim when he talks in his normal voice and has a beard like Jim and everything!
But seriously Penny Marshall they lady from the old k-mart commercials who used to hang out with Rosie...she's a well known director? since when..?
This is all very exciting though!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Everything Buck has said has also crossed my mind. A cohesive, comprehensive film about Jim's life would require nothing short of huge alliances not seen since Disney, Warners, MGM and whoever holds sway over Fleischer's cartoons allowed their characters to cohabitate in Roger Rabbit. I can't see Disney just offering the Muppets up for a bio pic that they weren't producing, and if they did have a hand in it, the movie would end up being so sanitized and void of any possible so-called negative aspects (Jim and Jane were separated? That ain't Disney!) that it could barely be considered a bio pic. If Sesame Workshop, The Henson family and Disney can shake hands and play nice, everything else would fall into place for a movie like this. But without absolute agreement and involvement, the odds are stacked against such a film becoming a reality, let alone a success. However, if Jim taught me anything, it's optimism. If the rights have been granted, it's a step in the right direction. Get a good recognizable actor on board to placate the studios and the scales might just tip, and the three property holders might be more inclined to join forces. I would like to see this film happen. Finally, a bio pick for ME, I thought when reading this news. But beyond blind faith and a whole lotta hope, I have to just sit back and see what happens before I can get too excited.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
On Laverne...

LOL! She's not just the shrill lady with Rosie in the old K-Mart ads.:big_grin:

Women directors in Hollywood are scarce. My film student alter-ego could provide many theories on why that is, but I'll spare you. Trust me, it's better that way. It should be noted that Penny Marshall (aka Laverne) has been well-known for helming high-profile, well-received projects with star-power. Some are better than others in my opinion. Some aren't good at all.

"Awakenings" with Robert De Niro and Robin Williams (critically acclaimed), "Big" with Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" with Gina Davis, Tom Hanks and Madonna, "The Preacher's Wife" with Whitney Houston (back when she was popular) and Denzel Washington, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" with Whoopi Golberg.

ploobis

Reaction score
I hope Frank Oz gets to direct this movie! Either him or Brian Henson, Who do you think should direct this movie?

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I would LOVE Jess Daniels to play Jim. The only concern might be the age, He's almost the age Jim was when he died. Still, there's no denying that when it comes to resemblance, Daniels is as close as we could get... and their voices are even remarkably similar. And, heck, age shouldn't be any concern, I guess. Kevin Spacey was an amazing Bobby Darin in "Beyond the Sea" and he was a full six years older than Darin was when he died when the movie was released. Jeff Daniels would be perfect.

And, this is sort of out there, but David Cross for Frank Oz, anybody? The resemblance between him and Frank is uncanny, and if you saw him in his brief role as Allen Ginsberg in "I'm Not There" you know he's capable of shredding his loudmouth image in favor of real performances (not to knock against Cross, man's one of the funniest and truest comics out there).

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Oh, and I did a bit of research on the guy who wrote the screenplay, Robert D. Slane. He wrote some movie called "Come Away Home" a few years ago which didn't get much of a release, and he wrote and directed a short film called "The Fine Line Between Cute and Creepy" which is an amusing little title.

And does anyone think the title "Henson" is just so... impersonal? I think just "Jim" would be the best title. It's just... Jim was such an open and accepting guy about everything, including himself. I've heard a lot of stories about how people would meet him, call him "Mr. Henson", and he would just ask them to call him "Jim". The point of this movie should be to convey that aspect of the man among the many others. I really hope "Henson" is just a tentative title.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/filmpix/02_Jeff_Laura_filingcbts.jpg

That picture alone convinces me that Jeff Daniels could play this part.
ok I've still got my heart set on jolly mr. red green but Jeff Daniels looks very good there and would fit the look well but could he play jims voice well enough.
this is steve smith aka red green
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/smith_st_gg_cp_9527797.jpg
http://geekent.com/blog/archives/pics/playhouse_pic.jpg

I hope Frank Oz gets to direct this movie! Either him or Brian Henson, Who do you think should direct this movie?
Frank Oz might be a little biased about how things should be...that could either be really amazing or really bad.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
And does anyone think the title "Henson" is just so... impersonal? I think just "Jim" would be the best title. It's just... Jim was such an open and accepting guy about everything, including himself. I've heard a lot of stories about how people would meet him, call him "Mr. Henson", and he would just ask them to call him "Jim". The point of this movie should be to convey that aspect of the man among the many others. I really hope "Henson" is just a tentative title.
I concur; it gives a better vibe.