Eren Ozker's Singing

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There have been many sources that mention certain performers either thinking that their singing voices weren't good or that the performers had terriffic singing voices. Among those known to have had good singing voices include Richard Hunt, Jerry Nelson, and Louise Gold (the Muppet Central guide for The Muppet Show also mentions that John Lovelady was a good singer, though he didn't really sing very much). Among those known for not being very confident about their singing include Jim Henson, Frank Oz, and especially Dave Goelz.

But what about Eren Ozker? Was she uncomfortable singing? I've noticed that on The Muppet Show she rarely sang as characters other than Wanda, who was supposed to be an off-key singer. She sang the whatnots last few lines in You Do Something to Me, but most of that characteers lines wer eperformed by Cynthia Addler. Most of Ozker's other singing roles were back-up. When she performed Janice, the only time she got a solo line was in the song Caberet, which was more of a speak-singing line. Hilda never sang at all. Eren Ozker was the only main performer to not sing a verse in the medley of Ethel Merman songs.

Another thing evident about her possibly not feeling good about her singing is the fact that many female performers who weren't regulars on the show were brougth in for musical numbers. Aside from Cynthia Addler, Fran Brill sang in two episodes, and Rollin Krewson sang in one. Other singing female characters in the first season were performed by the male performers.

Tim

Reaction score
That's the one thing I would have LOVED to discuss with her. I remebering complimenting her on her character voices (Hilda's is still my favorite.), but I didn't get to ask her about her singing abilities (or possible lack of), since I was curious about that too. I would imagine that she probably didn't have a trained singer's voice, although her characters did "sing" in group backups behind some of the guest stars (Lena Horne, for example.).

Jim was always quick to utilize performer's aditional side talents, and it would seem that if she could sing, he would have encouraged it in her.

As kind of a side note, I did discuss this at length with June Foray. She too would NOT sing, and really had no "singer's voince". She was respectfully envious of Mel Blanc and others who could pull it off with out training, but she will never even try (Look at "Mulan"). Interesting.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Jim did comment once, I can't remember where but will try to find out, about how he thought that singing was a very important quality in puppeteers.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Dil said:
Hilda sang only in a chorus and no solo lines.
I know. I mean tthat she never sang any numbers of her own. Come to think of it, neither did George (except for in the Valentines special). I am not sure if Mildred sang in Dance the Old Fashioned Way, but it seems like the old characters from the first season never got any chances to sing (Statler and Waldorf didn't sing any numbers untill the second season).

D

Dil

Mildred neither sang nor even spoke in the Old Fashioned Way. You weren't sure, because that song was completely cut from the Season 1 DVD release. At least, during the balcony shot after th Hugga Wugg Number, Waldorf was singing this line, "You are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine", then Statler responds by speaking this line, "I'm not you're son, and my name's not Shine".
Yes, I think S & W's number debut was in the Steve Martin Episode.

Skye

Reaction score
Punch'n'Judy said:
Jim did comment once, I can't remember where but will try to find out, about how he thought that singing was a very important quality in puppeteers.
I definitely would believe that. Listening to the muppeteers sing amazes me sometimes because, for the most part, they are all really impressive singers. I'd imagine Jim recognized that and really encouraged them to bring it out and really show it off. I never thought about it with Eren, though. Maybe she just really didn't feel comfortable with singing often, although I'd imagine she had a very nice singing voice, as well.

D

Dil

Mildred neither sang nor even spoke in the Old Fashioned Way. You weren't sure, because that song was completely cut from the Season 1 DVD release. At least, during the balcony shot after th Hugga Wugg Number, Waldorf was singing this line, "You are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine", then Statler responds by speaking this line, "I'm not you're son, and my name's not Shine".
Yes, I think S & W's number debut was in the Steve Martin Episode.
You were about to post the same thing, weren't you, someone else than Minor Muppetz?