Eric Jacobson vs. Frank Oz?

dabauckham

Reaction score
Hi,

I've never started a new thread, but I found myself wondering about Eric Jacobson, who has taken over most of Frank Oz's puppeteering duties. First off, he seems quite talented, as I had no idea he was doing Piggy and Fozzie in AVMMM until I read about it on MuppetWikki! (guess I should listen more closely).

Anyway, I read that Eric started doing Bert in '97 and Grover in '02, but that Frank occasionally does a sketch here and there. I was wondering if there was a list of which bits Frank Oz has been involved in as Bert and Grover since he semi-retired from puppeteering.

Anyone who can help out, thank you kindly! :halo:

Princeton

Reaction score
I personally say Frank Oz, but let me just give you a little warning: don't be surprised if this thread gets deleted. The people on this forum LOVE Eric Jacobson (for God knows what reason) and when I started a thread similar to this, it got deleted. Don't make the same mistake I did, don't insult Eric Jacobson. I hate him with a passion, but that's apparently the rules at this forum.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
You know, I love Frank Oz and all, but Frank Oz's current Grover doesn't even sound like Grover anymore.

A good example is "Elmo's Potty Time" DVD. The Grover in there sounds very different, almost a strain on Frank's vocal chords from the old 1970's version.

Frank more often does new Bert in Ernie and Bert sketches now. So on a daily basis, when they show the usual B and E sketch on the show, it very well be Frank with Steve Whitmire playing Ernie.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think Eric is great and very talented. But I have to go with Frank all the way. There is nothing like the original.

wiley207

Reaction score
Frank Oz will always be the best, but Eric Jacobson provides an incredible simulation. At first in the Pizza Hut ads with Miss Piggy, I didn't know it wasn't Frank Oz playing her until I read about it online!

Also, they've recast Guy Smiley to Eric Jacobson. This results in Guy sounding like a cross between Jim Henson's Guy Smiley and Frank Oz's Prince Charming, but it sounds good enough. I think they should've hired gotteb Steve Whitmire or John Kennedy to imitate Henson's Guy.

I am also sure that if they ever brought back Harvey Kneeslapper (which will probably be never), they would recast him to Eric Jacobson, too. I can imagine him doing a good Harvey.

Also, when Eric performed the Tiger in "Elmo's World: Cats" and one of the seven dwarves last season, did he use a Frank Oz-style voice? I imagine he would.

dabauckham

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Eric does a good job of filling in some tough shoes.
That is my impression as well. 'Course, no one can completely and unequivocally replace Frank Oz. How could they? But does anyone know which bits Frank Oz is involved in currently? For example, does he ever do Grover now (like Global Grover for example), or has it switched over totally to Eric?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
He did some of them the first year they made there debute. But he does most of the moments where grover talks to kids and ask them what there favorite vegtable is or something. He did two new fat blue skits last season. You really can't tell who's preforming Franks Characters? That really say's something about Eric's preformance. In less you just did not have a chance to whach the show or you just didn't chatch him or something.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I agree, thank God for Eric Jacobsen, for allowing Frank's characters live on.

Here's how I'd rank Eric's performances:

Grover (his best)
Miss Piggy (also great)
Fozzie Bear (good)
Bert (good but not perfect)

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
Grover (his best)
Miss Piggy (also great)
Fozzie Bear (good)
Bert (good but not perfect)
I think