Ernie tries to buy a scale from Lefty

Ziffel

Reaction score
Been so long since I've seen it too (probably about 28 years). I forgot a lot of the specific food items that were mentioned but one I recall in addition to the ones you cited is broccoli. "Broccoli fresh" was actually how Ernie put it.
And that was a pretty nice observation about the scale, GeeBee (CM breaking Ernie's scale but Ernie saying he and Bert have a scale in this one. So if only Lefty had hit Ernie up at the right time. He could have been a whole nickel wealthier. :smile: ).
By the way, does anyone know if Noggin had aired any episodes that had Lefty and Ernie skits? Seems like I haven't seen them brought up whenever SS Unpaved shows have been discussed. Just wondering if any of the people born after the 70's have had the pleasure of seeing any of these (and hearing that great music of Lefty sneaking up on Ernie. Boy I crave hearing that again!)

Dantecat

Reaction score
Nope.Just the one where Lefty tries to sell Ernie a number 8.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ah well at least that's one that shouild have the whole sneaking up on Ernie bit. I think the only Lefty/Ernie one that didn't was the letter o song one. It actually had a real brief sneaking up scene but it lasted about 3 seconds and had different music. Then Lefty gets into the o song. But the number 8 skit should have the typical "dum dum dumdumdumdum dum dum dum" sneaking up bit that lasted more like 30 seconds. And Ernie would often give a very funny scream of surprise (in the o song he just says, "Who me?"). But the o song was still a great sketch.

Censored

Reaction score
I believe Noggin also showed the one where Lefty sells Ernie the picture of four elephants and then Ernie tries to trick Bert. This skit was different in several ways. For one thing, it's one of the few times Lefty successfully makes a sale to Ernie, Ernie unsuccessfully tries to trick Bert, and most bizarre of all, Lefty has ears, but they vanish in the very last shot of him.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Lefty the con artist salesman

why is it that on every show they always have a character who is left-handed and untrustworthy, even on a kid's show where the main puppeteer is left-handed. Why can't the tricky salesman be nicknamed "righty?"

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah I never took a "left-handed" conotation for the name Lefty. I thought Lefty is kind of a typical nickname for a kind of tricky or shady character like this. Sort of like the names Butch and Spike for tough guys. I'm left handed myself and don't mind either way what the significance of the selection of that name was. They were indeed very fun skits. :smile:

Heyyyyyy bud
Shhhhhhhhhh
Riiiiiiiiight

abiraniriba

Reaction score
This is all in fun guys lighten up

Pssssst,
Hey Bud
Would you like to buy a joke?
this was all in fun, while I am lefty I happen to like those skits. I just wanted to have some fun and by the way i'm not a shady character. :wink:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh I was lightened up. :smile: But it did look like you were serious. Either way's okie dokes with me, I just thought I'd weigh in. Classic SS is one topic I enjoy expounding on endlessly. And I see that you, like me, are one of the original SS viewers. Were you in New York back then? My early SS days were in Maryland. We moved to New York in '76.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does anybody know what year the last lefty sketch was made? were ther eany made in the 1980s?

I was born in 1984, and I remember seeing lefty sketches a lot. there aren't very many specific ones that I recall seeing, but I remember lefty well. I think skits with him were shown on television right up untill 1998. I recall seeign the sketch where he says the alphabet to his boss on a season 29 show. The sketch wehre lefty sold Ernie a painting of elephants was included on the video Play-Along Games & Songs.