Ernie's nonsense and tricks

dinoboy

Reaction score
Have any of you laughed at all the nonsense and tricks he plays on poor Bert. Like when he tricks Bert by drinking his soda by innocently saying he doesn't know how to use the drinking straw. Or after an argument of who has the bigger slice of pizza and more grapedrink, Ernie decides to even it out only in resulting that Ernie eats the pizza and drinks the juice. Not to mention when Ernie has trouble sleeping, he counts fire engines that has a loud siren to awake the whole neighborhood, as well as counting a balloon that shakes the bedroom upon it popping from being inflatated too much.
Now I know why Bert feels the way he does, and at times, he may be tempted to just toss Ernie's rubber duckie out the window, since the squeek probably drives him crazy. :frown:
But Ernie's laugh is something memorable and funny.

ISNorden

Reaction score
As a girl I laughed at the way Ernie could usually trick Bert (especially when Ernie tried to get him involved in a game; Bert would get carried away himself at the end). As a grown woman, though, I'm surprised that their friendship has lasted so long; poor Bert has the patience of a saint, since few real-life people would consider a greedy prankster like Ernie their best friend.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Have any of you laughed at all the nonsense and tricks he plays on poor Bert. Like when he tricks Bert by drinking his soda by innocently saying he doesn't know how to use the drinking straw. Or after an argument of who has the bigger slice of pizza and more grapedrink, Ernie decides to even it out only in resulting that Ernie eats the pizza and drinks the juice. Not to mention when Ernie has trouble sleeping, he counts fire engines that has a loud siren to awake the whole neighborhood, as well as counting a balloon that shakes the bedroom upon it popping from being inflatated too much.
Now I know why Bert feels the way he does, and at times, he may be tempted to just toss Ernie's rubber duckie out the window, since the squeek probably drives him crazy. :frown:

Why would anyone not laugh at E&B's stuff and where did you get the idea That Bert would wanna toss the rubber duckie out the window?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bert would NEVER do anything like that to Ernie's duck, much like Ernie would never do that with Bert's paperclips and Bottle caps. They both have an understanding about each other's posessions... even though Ernie did use various items to fill the void left by a broken Cookie Jar....

I think the newer skits are kind of a stretch. Like how Ernie has a frog jump into Bert's oatmeal... or how he sings Bert a song about waking up to practice waking up. But they still have that old feel to them. Ernie is the prankster, Bert the victim.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I was little Ernie was my favorite for how silly he was. Nowadays I'm more sympathetic and amused by Bert. Guess that means I'm old, lol.

Redsonga

Reaction score
For the time I was little I always liked Bert a bit more, but I never thought of Ernie as truly bad or greedy because of it. They are just roomates and roomates get on each others nerves all the time....Of course in my mind B&E are really brothers :smile:.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Bert would NEVER do anything like that to Ernie's duck, much like Ernie would never do that with Bert's paperclips and Bottle caps. They both have an understanding about each other's posessions... even though Ernie did use various items to fill the void left by a broken Cookie Jar....

I think the newer skits are kind of a stretch. Like how Ernie has a frog jump into Bert's oatmeal... or how he sings Bert a song about waking up to practice waking up. But they still have that old feel to them. Ernie is the prankster, Bert the victim.
Actually, in an early skit (circa 1971) Ernie wanted to see what Bert looked like when he was mad. He made Bert imagine what would happen if his paper clips were dumped down the sewer and lost forever. Bert's face got all wrinkled, his brow furrowed, and he let out a long scream. He actually got Bert to do this twice, with Bert admitting being angry took a lot out of him. Then Ernie confesses "You know Bert, I really did lose your paper clips down the sewer". This prompts Bert to faint.

Yes, Ernie's mission in life, especially in the early days, was to trick Bert and get him emotionally unhinged. But there were a few times Bert evened the score:

Getting Ernie to throw out his R collection, so Bert can use the empty box to store his J collection.

Winning Ernie's banana in a bet since Ernie couldn't think of ten things to do with his fingers.

I'm sure there were others, but skits like these show enough of the dynamics between these two, so Ernie wasn't always the trickster, and Bert wasn't always the fall guy.

One final note, I'm sure Bert may have been TEMPTED at times to get even with Ernie for being the brunt of so many jokes, but I doubt he would ever go through with it. Their friendship stood stronger than anything Ernie could do to Bert.:stick_out_tongue::frown: