Ernie's own bedroom?

SesameMike

Reaction score
Most Ernie and Bert skits take place in the contemporary apartment living room, easily recognizable by the picture of them on the wall. The sleeping/night time skits take place in their bedroom (with twin beds and that familiar "E" and "B" customization on the headboards), and a handful of "bathtub scenes" take place in the bathroom. Yet there was one other room in which at least two skits were set.

This room was more detailed and "busier" than the other sets. It had shelves (?), a banner or two on the wall, and, in the skit NOT associated with laundry, had a loaded clothesline hanging overhead. The room always looked disheveled, and indeed Bert did complain how messy it was in the skits. I'd heard this was supposed to be Ernie's own bedroom, but then why would he sleep in the other room? Maybe this was their den or study.

These are the two sketches that took place in this unknown room. (Quotes are not exact)

Sketch 1: banana fingers

(Bert walks into that unknown room. Ernie is twiddling his fingers on the wall in front )
BERT: Oh Ernie, look at this mess. Look at all the paper on the floor, and all the coloring books. Ernie, when are you gonna clean this mess up?
ERNIE: Later, Bert.
B: What are you doing?
E: I was just thinking of all the neat things I can do with my fingers. In fact, I'll bet you, if I can't think of ten things I can do with my fingers, I'll give you this banana, that I was saving for my dessert.
B: Oh, I LOVE bananas, and I'm hungry too. OK, that's a bet.
E: I just picked up this banana, that's one thing. (a numeral 1 is superimposed in the upper middle of the screen.

Among the other items, making "little men" by "walking on the wall, holding his nose (by the sound of his voice, I bet Henson did the same on this take). After number nine, Ernie's mind went blank, and Bert went:

B: You can't think of it! <insert Bert's trademarked machine-gun laugh> The banana's mine! (B keeps laughing, and makes off with banana booty).
E: Goodbye Bert. (waves goodbye, then realizes "what the heck am I doing") Wave. Wave is number ten Bert! (10 appears onscreen) Bert! Bert? (E walks off camera towards B)
E: (Walks glumly back into camera range, with peel in hand) Number eleven (11 onscreen) is pick up a banana peel. After someone has eaten the banana.
(Sad closing music as Ernie looks at the peel with a downright depressed look.)

Sketch 2: the laundry basket

(Bert walks into that unknown room. Ernie is by the wall in front)
BERT: Oh Ernie, look at this mess. Hey, Ernie? It's your turn to go down to the laundromat and do our laundry.
ERNIE: (produces a laundry basket) OK, but I'm taking my rubber ducky. You wanna come with me to the laundromat, Rubber Ducky? <squeak-squeak> You do? All right. (puts RD in the basket).

Ernie then proceeds to put several items in the laundry basket, each in response to Bert informing him there's one more thing he forgot. Among the items:

• A radio: to listen to music while waiting for the laundry to finish
  • A trombone: to play some music while waiting
  • A box of cookies: in case he and RD get hungry while waiting
  • A few coloring books and a box of (Crayola?) crayons.
By the time Ernie is done, the laundry basket is filled to capacity with "things". The sketch ended thus:

B: Ernie, there's one more thing you forgot to put in the laundry basket. You forgot the LAUNDRY! And now that the laundry basket is all filled with junk, you have no room, for the LAUNDRY! NOW what are you gonna do?
E: (picks up a horsehide) Go play baseball, Bert.
(Closing music. Bert had one of his usual reactions, though I'm not sure which -- faint, cry, sigh, etc.)

Censored

Reaction score
One time a Sesame Street fan theorized that Ernie kept his room so messy, he must have had to move into Bert's room. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i get a feeling that was probably his playroom. though i could be wrong. i get a feeling they might of slept in separate room the 1st season partly because of those 2 indavidual skits of them taking naps. Ernie getting waked by cookie Monster for his pillow and Bert being awaken by Ernie to tell Bert it's nap time > those 2 might of been more mid 70s clips than early 70s because the video tape quality seems to be better and in the SSU shows seasons 2 and 3 you have those 2 E&B skits where Enie rather turn on the radio and vacum clear than turn off the bathroom faucet completely and where after deciding that counting sheep is boring decideds to count fire engines and balloons. otherwise those 2 SM mentioned are a mystery to me.

dustinrn

Reaction score
wasn't there also a skit that took place in their kitchen, as well? didn't "shola" star in this one? or am i hallucinating??

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Ernie's laundry basket

This skit opens with Bert complaining on the huge mess in the room asking Ernie "When are you gonna clean this up??!!!"
Ernie: "Tuesday after next, Bert!"

Some other things Ernie packs:

Some storybooks, so he can read to Rubber Duckie

His ukelele, (not the same one Cookie Monster ate)

His yo-yo

His basketball
Bert: "There's a basketball court down there?"
Ernie: "Well, there might be a few of us waiting..."
Bert:"ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!"

At the end, when Ernie finds out he's got too much crap in the basket and no room for the laundry, and decides to play baseball, the camera just zooms in on Bert's face, and he just raises his eyebrows. No scrunched-up face, no yelling, no chasing Ernie, no faint.

I just love the way in this skit Ernie just keeps on doing his own thing, while totally ignoring Bert's complaints and growng frustration :stick_out_tongue: :frown:
Tony Randall and Jack Klugman couldn't have done it better.

ceecee

Reaction score
dustinrn said:
wasn't there also a skit that took place in their kitchen, as well? didn't "shola" star in this one? or am i hallucinating??
I was thinking there was one in the kitchen too. Was it the one where they are balancing cherries on a scale? Ernie keeps eating the cherries to make the scale even. Anyone remember?

Dantecat

Reaction score
I Remember That Skit But It Took Place At Their Living Room.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
This skit opens with Bert complaining on the huge mess in the room asking Ernie "When are you gonna clean this up??!!!"
Ernie: "Tuesday after next, Bert!"

Some other things Ernie packs:

Some storybooks, so he can read to Rubber Duckie

His ukelele, (not the same one Cookie Monster ate)

His yo-yo

His basketball
Bert: "There's a basketball court down there?"
Ernie: "Well, there might be a few of us waiting..."
Bert:"ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!"

At the end, when Ernie finds out he's got too much crap in the basket and no room for the laundry, and decides to play baseball, the camera just zooms in on Bert's face, and he just raises his eyebrows. No scrunched-up face, no yelling, no chasing Ernie, no faint.

I just love the way in this skit Ernie just keeps on doing his own thing, while totally ignoring Bert's complaints and growng frustration :stick_out_tongue: :frown:
Tony Randall and Jack Klugman couldn't have done it better.
bet Ernie did all that on purpose to get out of going to the laundry matt.

SesameMike

Reaction score
ceecee said:
I was thinking there was one in the kitchen too.
Where did the skit take place when Ernie sang to Cookie Monster "If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake" while doing just that? On one hand, the kitchen sounds likely since an oven was needed to do the actual baking, not to mention easy access to the ingredients and utensils. OTOH, the living room has an uncanny knack for producing just what they need when they need it. I've seen: TVs, an electric fan, a mixer, etc...

There was one skit taped in the living room where E+B were about to eat dinner, which consisted of: a slice of "cheese, sausage, anchovy, pepperoni pizza", and a glass of grape soda. Again, Ernie kept eating and drinking both items to even them out, much to Bert's frustration. (That's almost dated too: how many people do you know who order anchovies on their pizza anymore? This generation seems to shun them, and most Domino's don't even offer them on their menu.)

Now then, does anyone know the E+B sketch in which this line was spoken:

"Hey you guys. A dinosaur escaped from the museum, and ran right into your bedroom!"

Dantecat

Reaction score
Well SesameMike,The Skit That Ernie Sang If I Knew You Were Coming I've Baked A Cake To Cookie Monster Took Place In Ernie And Bert's Kitchen.