Even more 'snippets' (this time with Muppets)

clipjj27

Reaction score
Hi again:

Here are some more 'snippets.' These ones, however, DO contain muppets:

1. Drumrolls can be heard in the background as Cookie Monster says 'E...egg' then takes an egg with an 'E' printed on it, tosses it up, gulps it down, and then faints right after the drumroll stops.

2. The song about 'up and down' featuring Herry and Cookie. I like the tune - it's very uplifting. 'I look up and see the sky, I look down and see the ground, I look at you and sing a song about up and down!' are the main lines to the song.

3. Ernie has to clean his room before Bert comes back and he categorizes things to determine what should be put away first. For each category, however, the only item in the bunch that meets the criteria is his toy fire engine. First Ernie says 'I'll put away things that are red,' then 'things with wheels,' then 'things with ladders' (or something like that). Poor Ernie!

4. Grover demonstrates forward and backward by directing a bunch of other muppets to come on the screen walking either forward or backward - 'OK, everybody, forwards!' However, each time he does it, they approach him from the back side and knock him over. He then notices hats and tops of heads go by and sees that the people 'sneak' from one end to the other so that they can 'surprise-attack' him all the time. I forgot how the skit ends up, so fellow members, please help me here!

5. Three short clips feature Grover and other monsters getting into a boat while a foghorn sounds in the distance. The first time they all pile into one end of the boat and sink. The second time brings the same results as they all climb into the other end of the boat. The third time, though, they learn a lesson about balance and distribute themselves evenly in the boat. Happy rowing!

6. Kermit the Frog tries to demonstrate the word 'through' by putting up a big sheet of tissue paper in a frame and hoping that Cookie Monster will crash through it while running towards Kermit. Things backfire, though, as Cookie ends up demonstrating 'through' by saying 'This is through!,' picking up the tissue paper frame, and then smashing it over Kermit's head.

7. Two muppets sing about 'first' and 'last.' It goes like this...'I'm first, I'm last, he's slow, he's fast, and whether we walk or run or jump or swim, I'm always there before he is (x2) and I'm always there after him.' The 'first' muppet always beats the 'last' muppet to the punch until he sees a box, opens it up, and is 'freaked out' as he watches a monster come out. The 'last' muppet then says 'Sometimes it pays to be last,' but I forget how the scene ends up. Again, can anyone please help me here? Thanks in advance.

8. Kermit the Frog demonstrates the letter 'B' by making the analogy of 'a fat man with his belt too tight.' (No offense intended) Cookie Monster then comes on to the screen and gradually devours the letter. Another instance of Kermit demonstrating 'B' involves another monster (Harold?) and they each practice making the 'B' sound. When Harold does it, however, he bellows so hard, the whole screen blacks out - 'BAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!'

9. Ernie asks Bert to hold still while he traces around Bert's head. A line forms on the screen as Ernie does this and Bert grows increasingly impatient as Ernie apparently 'drags things out.' When Ernie is done, Bert moves his head, and one can see the outline on the screen. Bert, however, as he is with many things, doesn't seem too amused.

10. Last but not least, who can forget the salesman? Wearing a raincoat and hat, he goes around trying to connive people into buying 'instant fixes.' I like the music that is played when he approaches somebody, to be followed by the exchange 'Hey, kid!' 'Who, me?' 'SHHH, not so loud!'

Again, I love those 'snippets,' but decided to 'change gears' this time to give credit to the real 'stars of the show,' the Muppets of Jim Henson!

Frodis

Reaction score
> 2. The song about 'up and down' featuring Herry and Cookie. I like the tune -> it's very uplifting. 'I look up and see the sky, I look down and see the ground, >I look at you and sing a song about up and down!' are the main lines to the >song.

I've only seen the remake of this. I've never seen the original 1969 version.

> 4. Grover demonstrates forward and backward by directing a bunch of other >muppets to come on the screen walking either forward or backward - 'OK, >everybody, forwards!' However, each time he does it, they approach him from >the back side and knock him over. He then notices hats and tops of heads go >by and sees that the people 'sneak' from one end to the other so that they >can 'surprise-attack' him all the time. I forgot how the skit ends up, so fellow >members, please help me here!

I have this clip on vhs. This was actually an Anything Muppet, not Grover. Oddly enough, the brown Grover appears as one of the tramplers. What happens at the end is, the AM thinks he's figured out what the other muppets are doing, and he faces accordingly, but they magically appear from the other side. He gets up from the floor and his eyes are now crossed. One of Little Jerry's Monotones (the bearded hippie) comes up and says "No more?" and the AM faints.

> 5. Three short clips feature Grover and other monsters getting into a boat >while a foghorn sounds in the distance. The first time they all pile into one >end of the boat and sink. The second time brings the same results as they all >climb into the other end of the boat. The third time, though, they learn a >lesson about balance and distribute themselves evenly in the boat. Happy >rowing!

I remember this, altho' I wish I remembered more about it.

Frodis

gbrobeck

Reaction score
The original verson of "Up and Down" was actually with Cookie (who was still nameless) and Beautiful Day Monster.

Greg

camillachick

Reaction score
clipjj27:
I'm so glad we finally remember some of the same skits. I knew they had to replay them during the years I was watching. I do remember 3,5,9, and 10 of those you mentioned. I guess I liked the muppet skits best, especially Ernie and Bert. Maybe that's why I remember those. Nice to talking to you!

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yeah, the Ernie draws Bert's face was a classic, though at the end Bert wasn't what i would call unamused - he was actually quite impressed when he finally gets to move again and sees what Ernie has done..."How did you DO that?" to which Ernie just laughs.