Everything is Racist

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Sometimes I don't know what's worse. Internet News Stories or the wider television and print media. Except of course for that fact that these so called "trusted" and "real" news sources read the blurbs of these non-news stories posted on random blogs and present them as actual news. That would have the internet slightly ahead if it didn't mean that the news media was clearly seeking for troll stories that get reactions out of people.
I remember a local news station had a story a couple months ago about a senior housing complex threatening to evict a veteran, and they were like "how could they do this to someone who served our country". Turns out they had a strict no-smoking policy and he refused to stop smoking, so they had no choice but to evict him. Did it have anything to do with his veteran status? No. But if you add "veteran" to the story, people will get up in arms and start getting mad. He didn't get evicted after all, which probably made all the other residents in his building annoyed at seeing him get to break the rules because of the news.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Way back in the 90's when Phil Donahue still had a talk show, once he brought on members of the Ku Klux Klan (usually this is Jerry Springer's department). After one of the hooded crusaders got in a few colorful words with some blacks, Hispanics, and Jews in the audience, he attempted to educate us ignorant folks. The Klan doesn't BURN crosses, they LIGHT them! Wow, how could have we misjudged that?! Unfortunately he didn't get to explain the lynching side of things.

Racism basically boils down to fear and ignorance. It's just a shame that after all this time, society still hasn't moved too far away from this.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's just a shame that after all this time, society still hasn't moved too far away from this.
That's what I'm saying; we're supposed to be living in a time of racial harmony aren't we (well, Canada is, but that's besides the point)? Why are we STILL obsessive over what should considered racist?

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject of racist, check out this McDonald's ad from the 80's

It's just hilariously bad. On the one thing, it's another case of not knowing the difference between China and Japan since apparently they're the same country. The music is clearly Japanese sounding, even the guy eating it looks like the 1980's Japanese businessman stereotype (remember, before their economy collapsed, we were all afraid of them owning the world). But the gong, chopsticks, and McFortune Cookie really hit it over the edge. It's not like they were trying to be offensive, which makes it worse. And by worse, it's so bad it' funny as heck.

And I betcha "Szechuan Sweet and Sour Sauce" is the same darn Sweet and Sour Sauce with a random Chinese province thrown in. And Oriental Hot Mustard? Really?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, I just remembered something that I was somewhat on the receiving end of this once.

I did a vlog about egg nog a couple of years ago (it's private now, so yeah), and made a remark about some people apparently liking to mix alcohol in egg nog to make it, "Taste better", by saying there's only two kinds of people I know of who would do that: alcoholics who are looking to get buzzed, and Canadians. A Canadian guy actually repremended me for saying that, saying that he found my comment about Canadians doing that to be unnecessary... but you know what? MrsPepper, and another Canadian friend of mine told me that Canadians traditionally do mix alcohol (particularly rum) in their egg nog, which is why I made the comment in the first place, because I figured if Canadians told me Canadians do that, how could it be offensive? But then again, that's almost kind of like the time I saw this white lady go on a talk show and talk about how if the N-word is so offensive, then why would black people call (still) each other that?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Racism exists, but this isn't it. In fact, this sort of sandwich debate belittles real prejudice still present in America. Most managers of local stores where I've worked will not look twice at a resume from an African American applicant. Most of the tenants in my building are white and this isn't even the best part of town. If this is common practice in San Francisco, arguably the most diverse and liberal city in America, I can only imagine how it is in the rest of the country. That's real racism. Sandwiches are not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Racism exists, but this isn't it. In fact, this sort of sandwich debate belittles real prejudice still present in America. Most managers of local stores where I've worked will not look twice at a resume from an African American applicant. Most of the tenants in my building are white and this isn't even the best part of town. If this is common practice in San Francisco, arguably the most diverse and liberal city in America, I can only imagine how it is in the rest of the country. That's real racism. Sandwiches are not.
THAT's what I've been saying.

These Trojan Horse stories that are posted by actual racists or Godwin's law loving right wingers who want to make sure their base is all angry and fired up over nothing.

Again, this story about racist peanut butter is hokum, hooey, hogwash, bullcrap, bullplop, pure bull, fictitious phooey fooferah spread by a right wing blog to make the school unions look bad, all while spreading the whole "Political correctness has gone too far" delusion that racist twats like to spread around to slowly edge us back into all being racist. It's meant to get really stupid people angry so they can galvanize their backwards beliefs and let said backwards beliefs ooze their way into the minds of more intelligent, sane people. The story has been debunked hard by Politifact.

Real racism exists. Petty telephone stories fabricated by political blogs (again, to anger their base into hating the other unconditionally and voting for horrible people) are not. They're to mask real racism and justify it at the same time. So that way, we we take the wrong side of the debate when a drunken, violent, spouse and girl friend abusing gun nut shoots down a teenager.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly I think a lot of what people call racism are really issues of poverty and class, which we're terrified to talk about.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A lot of racism stems from that. And say what you will about Star Wars episode 1, there IS one thing they got right... Yoda's line about anger leading to fear and fear leading to hate. The whole thing about illegal immigrants boils down to down on their luck people being envious of the jobs that they wouldn't want in the first place.

Then of course, there are those who just don't like races for absolutely no reason.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And say what you will about Star Wars episode 1, there IS one thing they got right... Yoda's line about anger leading to fear and fear leading to hate.
Actually it was fear leads to anger and anger leads to hate. But the fact that it's so interchangeable proves how utterly vapid the line really is, lol. :wink: