Eyes...ping pongs are too small....

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Re: Buck,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
Hey,
Hmmm... i never heard of that before.
Could you give me some more details, Like if there is a specific type ?
You should be able to find them in any fishing supply store - they are usually half red / half white and can be sanded and painted quite successfully. Wal-Mart carries them as well I believe. They come in a wide variety of sizes.

I don't suggest styrofoam balls because of their rough surface and the face that they can be easily crushed, but if that's all you have to work with go for it!

BorkBork

Reaction score
i guess i'll go looking for fishing floates then. Just have to find a fiching store around :wink:

Hey Buck, there's some pics online on my puppetbuilding, if you want to see. I have made a topic for it in this forum :wink:

/Anders

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
re: Hobbits Find Other Uses For Ping Pong Balls

On the subject of ping pong balls, I was just reading that most of the domes on buildings you see in the "Lord of the Rings" movies are actually painted ping pong balls. Apparently, WETA workshop (who built the minatures for "Lord of the Rings") loves detailing minatures with Ping Pong balls. They cut them in half to use them for bowls and other round objects too.

Kinda cool, huh?

*Remember: "The Two Towers" opens December 18th.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by BorkBork
Hey Buck, there's some pics online on my puppetbuilding, if you want to see. I have made a topic for it in this forum :wink:
That's pretty good Bork Bork - I think you have all the basics down. My only suggestion would be to consider sewing the fabric "skin" for the head and the mouth together first, then turning them inside out so you can glue the mouth lining down to the mouth plate. You'll find you get much better results that way. Also, you may want to consider making the mouth opening a little narrower on the foam "skull" next time so you can fold the mouth edges over and glue it to the inside of the mouthplate instead of the outside edges like you did in the picture. I hope this makes sense.

These two techniques are just little finishing touches but usually result in a much nicer looking puppet mouth.

Great stuff - I can't wait to see the finished puppet!

BorkBork

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver
That's pretty good Bork Bork - I think you have all the basics down. My only suggestion would be to consider sewing the fabric "skin" for the head and the mouth together first, then turning them inside out so you can glue the mouth lining down to the mouth plate. You'll find you get much better results that way. Also, you may want to consider making the mouth opening a little narrower on the foam "skull" next time so you can fold the mouth edges over and glue it to the inside of the mouthplate instead of the outside edges like you did in the picture. I hope this makes sense.

These two techniques are just little finishing touches but usually result in a much nicer looking puppet mouth.

Great stuff - I can't wait to see the finished puppet!
So, do i insert the mouthplate in the fleece before i full it over the foam? Or did i just missunderstand?

/Anders

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
No, the mouth plate is still glued to the foam "skull" of the puppet, but you can cut out a liner (like black felt) the same size as the mouthplate which can be then sewn to the rest of the fabric used to cover the puppet's head. Once all the fabric to cover the mouthplate and the foam skull are sewn together you turn the fabric inside out and carefully glue the felt (or other material) to cover the mouthplate down to the mouthplate itself and then pull the rest of the material over the puppet's head.

I hope this (now) makes sense!

BorkBork

Reaction score
i think i get it, yeah, great trick. Thanks!! I'll try it next time perhaps :wink:

/Anders