Faerie Tale Theatre

MrsWembly

Reaction score
Does anyone remember Faerie Tale Theatre where actors would play in different fairy tales? I remember Robin Williams played the Frog Prince and Matthew Broderick played the prince in Cinderella.

“Read my lips....ALLLEEEGGAAATORRS” :smile:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh wow, I loved that show! I would watch it all the time, and I absolutely loved the Frog Prince! I know it was released on DVD. Can anyone tell me if they've seen it anywhere, or post a link to it if there is a set online?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I've seen many episodes on rented VHS in the past. One day I would love to have it in my own DVD library

MrsWembly

Reaction score

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Thanks. And while we're on the subject, who was Shelley Duvall anyway? She just seems to be this random woman who popped up in the 80's and did a few offbeat kids shows. Does she have a website?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I think she may still be alive. I mostly remember her as the creator and hostess of the Faerie Tale Theater series and before that she starred in Disney's live-action musical movie of Popeye the Sailor Man.
She played Olive Oyl next to Robin William's Popeye.

MrsWembly

Reaction score
Actually, Devall has been around since the early 70's. She was in Annie Hall, which won four oscars that year. She was also in The Shining with Jack Nicholson. :big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahem... Me thinks the actress's name is Shelly DuVall.
Her most iconic movie role has and always will be Olive Oyl from the movie version of Popeye, starring Robin Williams as Popeye (one of Robin's first and most enduring characters/roles).

She went on to host and produce a series called Tall Tales and Legends about characters from popular folklore legends, followed by Fairie Tale Theater.

I remember the one about Juan Ponce de Leon starring Michael York as the Spanish conquistador searching for the Fountain of Youth, Paul Rodríguez as his faithful squire, and Sally Kellerman as the pirate woman challenging his quest.
There was another one about the Headless Horseman starring Ed Beagley Jr. as Ichabod Crane.
And of course, the one about Darlin' Clementine starring Ms. DuVall as the titular character.

After that, she produced and starred in a Disney Channel movie titled Mother Goose Rock & Rhyme with a host of celebrities portraying famous nursery rhyme characters in a land where everything was disappearing after Mother Goose's kidnapping.
The cast included Cyndi Lauper as Mary and Woody Harrelson as her Little Lamb (the prosthetics hiding his face are comparable to Ringo Starr when he portrayed the Mockturtle in a live TV telemovie of Alice in Wonderland, you'd almost not know who was playing the role), Ben Vereen as Itsy Bitsy Spider, Pia Zadora as Little Miss Muffet, Howie Mandel as Humpty Dumpty, Little Richard as Old King Cole, Cheech Marin as the carnival barker where Hey Diddle Diddle was taking place, and Paul Simon as Simple Simon (identified by the big white peace symbol on his black T-shirt) among others.
Hope this helps, have a good day you guys.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Alright, thanks. I think I saw the Mother Goose mogve a couple of times when it was on Disney. Never heard of the Popeye one though; I'll have to look into it.
Ed, I seriously have to ask you, is there anything about anything you don't know?
:crazy:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... That is, there is anything about anything that I do not currently know.

Like the Confucian saying goes: He who pretends to know everything knows nothing, when he who knows nothing knows that he at least knows something.

Never claimed to know everything and I probably don't... But when you chaulk up my TV watching craze and fanaticism of certain franchises... Well, it just adds up over the years.