Fan Fic-Sesame Street Sleeping Beauty

dietrich

Reaction score
This is my idea of an episode set around the 2000-2001 season. The only difference is the addition of Celina. The theme of the episode is a Sleeping Beauty contest where 12 Sleeping Beauties wait for Prince Charming to wake up the winner. The main plot revolves around Gabriela not being able to fall asleep to enter. I hope you all like it. I really want to hear feedback from you all

Opening scene:
Maria and Gabriella walking out of the apartment door

Maria: (looking to the camera) Hola, welcome to Sesame Street! It's a nice day and Gabi and I thought we would listen to the birds sing.

Maria and Gabriela try to listen for birdcalls. Instead hear loud snoring.

Gabriela: Uh mom that sounds like somebody snoring.

Maria: Where’s that coming from anyway?

Maria and Gabriela turn to see a Pink AM dressed like a princess asleep on the railing next to the steps.

Maria: What's going on here?

Fairy Godmother (FG): I can answer that question.

Gabriela: Who are you?

FG: I'm the Fairy Godmother and this is the 1st Annual Sesame Street Sleeping Beauty Pageant.

Maria: What's a Sleeping Beauty Pageant?

FG: It's a contest where 12 sleeping lovelies go to sleep in 12 different ways. Whoever is crowned by Prince Charming as the most original way to fall asleep is the winner of a new bed.

Gabriela: Sounds neat. Can I enter mom?

Maria: Sure, Gabi your father and I were thinking of getting you a new bed.

Gabriela: There's just one problem I'm not very tired.

FG: Well you better hurry. There are only 11 slots left and this sleeper here got the easiest way to fall asleep with the wave of my magic wand

Green AM princess w/ a pillow walks in.

Princess: Hi is this the Sleeping Beauty Pageant?

FG: Yes and you are?

Princess: I'm the princess from the Princess and the Pea. This is my pea and this my pillow that I put the pea under. (She puts the pea under her pillow and immediately falls asleep)

FG: Oops better make that 10 slots.

Cut b/w street scene. Maria and Gabriela are sitting on the steps w/Gabriela’s eyes closed.

Maria: Gabi, if you want to enter the contest you need to go to sleep.

Gabriela: I know mom, but I'm not sleepy.

Zoe, Rosita, and Elizabeth walk in.

Rosita: Hola Maria, Gabi

Maria: Hi Rosita, Zoe, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth: Hey, What's with all the snoozin' going around?

Gabriela: This is the Sleeping Beauty Pageant.

Zoe: Sleeping Beauty Pageant? Don't joke me.

Gabriela: I'm not joking you Zoe. I want to enter but I just can't fall asleep.

Elizabeth: Not sleepy huh? Well when I can't sleep I get my kitty Little Murray Sparkles to meow near to me to send me to dreamland. Hey Murray! (Murray Sparkles comes in and starts meowing.)

Zoe: When I'm tired I just say the alphabet. (Starts to sing the alphabet)

Rosita: No, no. Gabi what you need is my Siesta song (starts to sing her song. All three go at the same time)

Cut the Gabriela: Thanks guys but I only need one of your ideas. Rosita, Zoe, Elizabeth?

Zoe, Rosita, and Elizabeth all fall asleep at the same time leaning against the perch.

FG: That's three more. And you can't use the alphabet, cat meows or that singing to sleep. You better hurry.

Cut b/w street scene.

Maria: Uh oh Gabi here come three new entrants. (Pointing to three new girls. One of them is Prairie Dawn.) Hi Prairie, how are you trying to get to sleep?

Prairie Dawn: Well Maria, I brought a glass of warm of milk to help me sleep. (Drinks the milk) That should help me fall right to- (suddenly falls asleep)

Purple AM in a sweat suit panting: I just ran around the block four times to tire myself out. I’ll just lie next to this blue monster and go to sleep (falls asleep)

Maria (to Green AM dressed like a belly dancer): And you are?

Crystal: The names Crystal and I’m a magician’s assistant. I’m just going to hypnotize myself to sleep. I am getting sleepy, very sleepy (yawns and falls asleep floating in mid-air)

Maria: I wonder how she did that.

FG: Hey it’s magic. You got to keep the secrets.

Gabriela: Oh no. There are only 4 more slots left.

Celina enters

Celina: Hi Maria, Gabi.

Maria: Celina it's good to see you. What brings you here?

Celina: I heard about the Sleeping Beauty Pageant and thought I'd enter it. (to FG:smile: Can I dance myself to sleep?

FG: Let me check. (Looks at her clipboard) Yes that's still an option.

Celina: Great. (Celina starts dancing and singing to "Dance Myself to Sleep" with four sheep joining in)

At the end on the song, Celina falls asleep on the steps with the sheep.

FG: Only three slots remain. You better hurry kid

Little Bo Peep enters.

Peep: Excuse I'm Little Bo Peep. Have you seen my sheep?

Gabriela: Is that them? (pointing to Celina.)

Peep: I think so but I better count them to be sure. Let’s see one sheep, two sheep, (yawns), three sheep (yawns again), four (suddenly falls asleep on Celina’s lap)

FG: Better make that two. You could have used the counting sheep trick but not now. We're at the home stretch.

Cut b/w street scene.

Maria: Well Gabi's still hasn't been able to fall asleep.

Gabriela: It's hopeless mom.

Maria: Now don't give up yet honey. Miracles can happen.

Suddenly a puff of smoke brings for the Sandwoman (played by Sandra Bullock wearing pajamas and carrying a bag of sand).

Sandwoman: Did someone say miracle?

Sandwoman: I'm the Sandwoman. I'm like the Sandman only I'm a woman who gets people to sleep.

Gabriela: Can you put me to sleep? Please?

Sandwoman: You bet. One sprinkle of my Sleep Sand and you’ll be in dreamland in no time.

FG: This is your lucky day kiddo. No one has used Sleep Sand in the contest yet.

Sandwoman: Contest? (Noticing all the sleeping girls) Wait a minute is this the 1st Annual Sesame Street Sleeping Beauty Pageant.

FG: Yes indeedy.

Sandwoman: Omigosh are there any positions left?

FG: As a matter of fact there are two left.

Sandwoman: Has anyone used Sleep Sand yet?

FG: (slightly annoyed) I just said no one has.

Sandwoman: All right. (Pours some sand out) Sorry kid but this is my big shot
(Sprinkles sand on herself and snores loudly while standing up.)

FG: Bad luck Gabi. You have only one chance left.

Cut b/w street scene. Barkley is sleeping next to Oscar’s trashcan.

Gabriela: Even Barkley is able to fall asleep. I guess I won’t be able to get in the Pageant.

Maria: That’s okay honey. You tried your best.

FG: Yeah you had some bad luck, but why don’t you sit here and watch the Pageant.

Gabriela: OK I’ll just sit here (yawns) listening and watching to everyone sleep. (yawns)

Maria: Gabi. (Gabriela finally falls asleep). She made it.

FG: And Gabriela makes 12. Once Prince Charming arrives we can begin.

Cut b/w street scene.

All twelve girls (Sleeping Beauty, Princess & the Pea, Zoe, Rosita, Elizabeth, Belly Dancer, Exerciser, Prairie Dawn, Celina, Little Bo Peep, Sandwoman, and Gabriela) are fast asleep and snoring. So is Barkley

Maria: Well Gabi finally fell asleep.

FG: All that's left to do is to wait for Prince Charming to come and pick the winner. Hark I think I hear him now.

Prince Charming: It is I Prince Charming. Here to pick the Sleeping Beauty.

FG: Welcome Prince. Let me show you the contestants.

Charming: Super, who do we got?

FG points to each contestant with the Prince giving his critique.

FG: First up is Sleeping Beauty. She used the old fashioned magic wand. (Charming: Huh that’s a little too easy.)

FG: Number 2 is the Princess and the Pea. Three guesses what she used. (Charming: You got to stick with what works.)

FG: This is Rosita Monster who used her Siesta song. (Charming: Very multi-cultural)

FG: Next is Zoe Monster who said the alphabet. (Charming: Educational)

FG: Here is Elizabeth who used her cat to meow her to sleep. (Charming: Oh that’s cute)

FG: Prairie Dawn had a glass of milk to make her sleep. (Charming: That’s nutritious)

FG: Marilyn ran around the block to tire herself.(Charming: That’s good exercise )

FG: Crystal hypnotized herself. (Charming: How’d she do that?)

FG: Celina danced herself to sleep (Charming: I always liked that song.)

FG: Bo Peep counted sheep. (Charming: That’s always a classic)

FG: Here we have the Sandwoman who used her Sleep Sand (Charming: Boy is she sawing logs)

FG: And finally we have Gabriela who worked to hardest to fall asleep (Charming: What a trooper.)

Maria: Well your highness, who do you pick?

Charming: I choose. (looks to Barkley) Who’s that?

FG: Well Prince that’s just some dog who fell asleep near the contest.

Charming: He just fell asleep? That’s so cute. He wins.

FG: The dog? Are you sure prince?

Charming: Absolutely. Give him the bed. Better make that a dog bed. Bye bye. (exits)

FG: Well that’s that. Do you mind keeping an eye on these Sleeping Beauties?

Maria: No problem. (yawns)

Cut to Elmo's World

Ending Scene:
All the contestants are fast asleep with the Sesame Street night theme playing

Maria: Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter Z (yawns) and the number 12.

(Yawns again and puts her head next to Gabriela).
Sesame Street is a production of the CTW. Buenos Noches. (Falls asleep)

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
That was terrific! I could just imagine Jim Henson as the prince.

dietrich

Reaction score
I'm glad for the feedback. I was wondering if anyone might want to add some artwork to the story? I thought of something like a long panel showing all of the Sleeping Beauty contestants and the Prince judging. Thanks

dietrich

Reaction score
I thought I would also rewrite the story as if it were for the current incarnation. I really want to hear feedback to see which one is better. If enough people think it's good I might send to Sesame Workshop to see if it's good.

Opening scene:
Maria and Gabriella walking out of the apartment door

Maria: (looking to the camera) Hola, welcome to Sesame Street! It's a nice day and Gabi and I thought we would listen to the birds sing.

Maria and Gabriela try to listen for birdcalls. Instead hear loud snoring.

Gabriela: Uh mom that sounds like somebody snoring.

Maria: Where’s that coming from anyway?

Maria and Gabriela turn to see a Pink AM dressed like a princess asleep on the railing next to the steps.

Maria: What's going on here?

Fairy Godmother (FG): I can answer that question.

FG: I'm the Fairy Godmother and this is the 1st Annual Sesame Street Sleeping Beauty Pageant.

Maria: What's a Sleeping Beauty Pageant?

FG: It's a contest where 12 sleeping lovelies go to sleep in 12 different ways. Whoever is crowned by Prince Charming as the most original way to fall asleep is the winner of a new bed.

Gabriela: Sounds neat. Can I enter mom?

Maria: Sure, Gabi your father and I were thinking of getting you a new bed.

Gabriela: There's just one problem I'm not very tired.

FG: Well you better hurry. There are only 11 slots left and this sleeper here got the easiest way to fall asleep with the wave of my magic wand

Green AM princess w/ a pillow walks in.

Princess: Hi is this the Sleeping Beauty Pageant?

FG: Yes and you are?

Princess: I'm the princess from the Princess and the Pea. This is my pea and this my pillow that I put the pea under. (She puts the pea under her pillow and immediately falls asleep)

FG: Oops better make that 10 slots.

Maria and Gabriela go to sit on the steps and Gabriela closes her eyes.

Maria: Gabi, if you want to enter the contest you need to go to sleep.

Gabriela: I know mom, but I'm not sleepy.

Zoe, Rosita, and Elizabeth walk in.

Rosita: Hola Maria, Gabi

Maria: Hi Rosita, Zoe, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth: Hey, What's with all the snoozin' going around?

Gabriela: This is the Sleeping Beauty Pageant.

Zoe: Sleeping Beauty Pageant? Don't joke me.

Gabriela: I'm not joking you Zoe. I want to enter but I just can't fall asleep.

Elizabeth: Not sleepy huh? Well when I can't sleep I get my kitty Little Murray Sparkles to meow near to me to send me to dreamland. Hey Murray! (Murray Sparkles comes in and starts meowing.)

Zoe: When I'm tired I just say the alphabet. (Starts to sing the alphabet)

Rosita: No, no. Gabi what you need is my Siesta song (starts to sing her song. All three go at the same time)

Cut the Gabriela: Thanks guys but I only need one of your ideas. Rosita, Zoe, Elizabeth?

Zoe, Rosita, and Elizabeth all fall asleep at the same time leaning against the perch.

FG: That's three more. And you can't use the alphabet, cat meows or that singing to sleep. You better hurry.

Maria: Uh oh Gabi here come three new entrants. (Pointing to three new girls. One of them is Prairie Dawn.) Hi Prairie, how are you trying to get to sleep?

Prairie Dawn: Well Maria, I brought a glass of warm of milk to help me sleep. (Drinks the milk) That should help me fall right to- (suddenly falls asleep)

Purple AM in a sweat suit panting: I just ran around the block four times to tire myself out. I’ll just lie next to this blue monster and go to sleep (falls asleep)

Maria (to Green AM dressed like a belly dancer): And you are?

Crystal: The names Crystal and I’m a magician’s assistant. I’m just going to hypnotize myself to sleep. I am getting sleepy, very sleepy (yawns and falls asleep floating in mid-air)

Maria: I wonder how she did that.

FG: Hey it’s magic. You got to keep the secrets.

Gabriela: Oh no. There are only 4 more slots left.

Guest celebrity (Natalie Portman) enters

Natalie: Hi Maria, Gabi.

Maria: Look Gabi it's Natalie Portman. What brings to Sesame Street?

Natalie: I heard about the Sleeping Beauty Pageant and thought I'd enter it. to FG: Can I dance myself to sleep?

FG: Let me check. (Looks at her clipboard) Yes that's still an option.

Natalie: Great. (Natalie starts dancing and singing to "Dance Myself to Sleep" with four sheep joining in)

At the end on the song, NatalieCelina falls asleep on the steps with the sheep.

FG: Only three slots remain. You better hurry kid

Little Bo Peep enters.

Peep: Excuse I'm Little Bo Peep. Have you seen my sheep?

Gabriela: Is that them? (pointing to Natalie.)

Peep: I think so but I better count them to be sure. Let’s see one sheep, two sheep, (yawns), three sheep (yawns again), four (suddenly falls asleep on Natalie’s lap)

FG: Better make that two. You could have used the counting sheep trick but not now. We're at the home stretch.

Cut b/w street scene.

Maria: Well Gabi's still hasn't been able to fall asleep.

Gabriela: It's hopeless mom.

Maria: Now don't give up yet honey. Miracles can happen.

Suddenly a puff of smoke brings forth the Fairy Napmother wearing pajamas and carrying a bag of sand.

FN: Did someone say miracle?

Sandwoman: I'm the Fairy Napmother and my magic Sleep Dust puts people to sleep.

Gabriela: Can you put me to sleep? Please?

FN: You bet. One sprinkle of my Sleep Sand and you’ll be in dreamland in no time.

FG: This is your lucky day kiddo. No one has used Sleep Sand in the contest yet.

FN: Contest? (Noticing all the sleeping girls) Wait a minute is this the 1st Annual Sesame Street Sleeping Beauty Pageant.

FG: Yes indeedy.

FN: Omigosh are there any positions left?

FG: As a matter of fact there are two left.

FN: Has anyone used Sleep Sand yet?

FG: (slightly annoyed) I just said no one has.

FN: All right. (Pours some sand out) Sorry kid but this is my big shot
(Sprinkles sand on herself and snores loudly while standing up.)

FG: Bad luck Gabi. You have only one chance left.

Barkley arrives and falls asleeping in front of Oscar’s trashcan.

Gabriela: Even Barkley is able to fall asleep. I guess I won’t be able to get in the Pageant.

Maria: That’s okay honey. You tried your best.

FG: Yeah you had some bad luck, but why don’t you sit here and watch the Pageant.

Gabriela: OK I’ll just sit here (yawns) listening and watching to everyone sleep. (yawns)

Maria: Gabi. (Gabriela finally falls asleep). She made it.

FG: And Gabriela makes 12. Once Prince Charming arrives we can begin.

Cut b/w street scene.

All twelve girls (Sleeping Beauty, Princess & the Pea, Zoe, Rosita, Elizabeth, Belly Dancer, Exerciser, Prairie Dawn, Natalie, Little Bo Peep, the Fairy Napmother, and Gabriela) are fast asleep and snoring. So is Barkley

Maria: Well Gabi finally fell asleep.

FG: All that's left to do is to wait for Prince Charming to come and pick the winner. (Horns announce the Prince's arrival) Hark I think I hear him now.

Prince Charming: It is I Prince Charming, here to pick the Sleeping Beauty.

FG: Welcome Prince. Let me show you the contestants.

Charming: Super, who do we got?

FG points to each contestant with the Prince giving his critique.

FG: First up is Sleeping Beauty. She used the old fashioned magic wand. (Charming: Huh that’s a little too easy.)

FG: Number 2 is the Princess and the Pea. Three guesses what she used. (Charming: You got to stick with what works.)

FG: This is Rosita Monster who used her Siesta song. (Charming: Very multi-cultural)

FG: Next is Zoe Monster who said the alphabet. (Charming: Educational)

FG: Here is Elizabeth who used her cat to meow her to sleep. (Charming: Oh that’s cute)

FG: Prairie Dawn had a glass of milk to make her sleep. (Charming: That’s nutritious)

FG: Marilyn ran around the block to tire herself.(Charming: That’s good exercise )

FG: Crystal hypnotized herself. (Charming: How’d she do that?)

FG: Natalie danced herself to sleep (Charming: I always liked that song.)

FG: Bo Peep counted sheep. (Charming: That’s always a classic)

FG: Here we have the Fairy Napmother who used her Sleep Sand (Charming: Boy is she sawing logs)

FG: And finally we have Gabriela who worked to hardest to fall asleep (Charming: What a trooper.)

Maria: Well your highness, who do you pick?

Charming: I choose. (looks to Barkley) Who’s that?

FG: Well Prince that’s just some dog who fell asleep near the contest.

Charming: He just fell asleep? That’s so cute. He wins.

FG: The dog? Are you sure prince?

Charming: Absolutely. Give him the bed. Better make that a dog bed.

The Prince kisses Barkley and he wakes up excited that he won.

Prince: Ladies and well ladies we have our Sleeping Beauty. Bye bye. (exits)

FG: Well that’s that. Do you mind keeping an eye on these Sleeping Beauties until they wake up?

Maria: No problem. (yawns)

FG: Well see ya.

Maria tawns again and sits next to Gabriella on the steps

Maria: Buenos noches honey. (Falls asleep)

Ending Scene:
Pan across all the contestants are fast asleep.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Liked the first one with Celina and the Sandwoman better. Though you could keep the line María has at the end from the second version. The long pan showing all contestants would work in either version, but if you have María fall asleep before the end like in the second version, then who would announce the episode's sponsors?
Nice storyline, hope there are some more on the way.

dietrich

Reaction score
I felt the first version was better. Will anyone take me up on my offer for some artwork to go with the story? :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
The first one definitely. The second version was hardly different. All you did was change Celina to Natalie Portman which makes no sense to me. Plus I can;t stand Portman ever since she did that elephant sketch with Elmo. She's dumb. Keep the original. I liked it a lot. Especially the tag at the end with Barkley winning. Typical SS fashion.

dietrich

Reaction score
I've been thinking of making a sequal to my fanfic. It would be the 2nd annual Sleeping Beauty Pageant. Does anyone have any ideas to make it different form the original? Maybe add new characters?

BEAR

Reaction score
dietrich said:
I've been thinking of making a sequal to my fanfic. It would be the 2nd annual Sleeping Beauty Pageant. Does anyone have any ideas to make it different form the original? Maybe add new characters?

Only if you can find enough ways to make it different and interesting. I thought the first one was really cute and clever. It was all very much played in typical Sesame Street fashion right down to the surprise gag at the end with Barkley (who wasn't even in the contest) winning. How could you change it? Would you change the characters? You basically used up all the female characters already. You would need to find new ways for them to sleep. If I were you I'd leave it alone and come up with something fresh. Maybe you could do another fairy tale parody.