Fan Poll: Favorite Sesame Street Christmas Production

What is your favorite Sesame Street Christmas production?

• A Sesame Street Christmas Carol (2006)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Special Sesame Street Christmas (1978)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (1978)

Votes: 45 84.9%
  • Elmo Saves Christmas (1996)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Elmo's Christmas Countdown (2007)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Elmo's World: Happy Holidays (2002)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CherryPizza

Reaction score
CEoSS gets my vote for so many reasons: The retro aspect, the heart, the ensemble cast (it wasn't called Big Bird's Special Christmas, after all), the mixture of humour and passion coming from stories rather than silly 'stunt' premises, and the simple fact that it reflects the Street's golden era in so many ways.

ASSSC was not a Sesame Street special by any stretch of the imagintion. It was a cookie cutter 70s variety special, sprinkled with SS to justify its existence. Oh, yeah... and Ethel Merman singing rarely works in anything's favour.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is my pick, no question! All the plots and subplots are so well-written and heartwarming and a Christmas classic nonetheless. Also, the answers the kids have for explaining Santa coming down the chimney and the ones Kermit reads off are hilarious!

Besides, the only other Sesame Christmas thing I've seen is Elmo's World: Happy Holidays and it cannot hold a candle to Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. The only things I really liked about it were that they actually sang "Jingle Bells" instead of replacing it with the topic word.

MissPiggyFan98

Reaction score
6. Elmo's World: Happy Holidays
5. Elmo's Christmas Countdown
4. A Sesame Street Christmas Carol
3. A Special Sesame Street Christmas
2. Elmo Saves Christmas
1. Christmas Eve on Sesame Street

CEoSS wins, but ESC is a very close second and will always be a honored part of my childhood. :jim:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Besides, the only other Sesame Christmas thing I've seen is Elmo's World: Happy Holidays and it cannot hold a candle to Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. The only things I really liked about it were that they actually sang "Jingle Bells" instead of replacing it with the topic word.
EWHH is good for educating kids about the other 2 major holidays, even showing the religious side of Christmas with a Nativity pageant. And they even managed to make a plot in it where Elmo actually emotes. A total improvement over the actual Elmo's World segments. I'd go as far as saying if Elmo's World were more like the special, it wouldn't be such a pointless waste of 15 minutes. Something more complex than 15 minutes on where your nose is? Imagine how great that would be.

2tal

Reaction score
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is the best for me. The others have moments but just a cup too much sugar!-D

Mary Louise

Reaction score
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is one of my most favorite specials! :smile: How many kids have worried about how Santa Claus gets down skinny little chimneys, or into homes with no chimneys? And I love Bob's advice to get me through the post-Christmas letdown: "Think of this Christmas day when Christmas is far away."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is one of my most favorite specials! :smile: How many kids have worried about how Santa Claus gets down skinny little chimneys, or into homes with no chimneys?
The very first time I saw this special I kept insisting to my parents that Santa slides down the chimney, only to hear one of the kids on the show had the same idea, lol.

And I love Bob's advice to get me through the post-Christmas letdown: "Think of this Christmas day when Christmas is far away."
I got to meet Bob at a Barnes and Noble signing a few years ago and he sang "Keep Christmas With You" for the audience. It was such a beautiful moment, I definitely teared up, hehe. And he was very nice and signed my Sesame Street Christmas Sing Along record album. :wisdom:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
My ranking:
1. Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
2. Elmo Saves Christmas
3. Elmo's Christmas Countdown
4. Elmo's World: Happy Holidays

I have not seen A Special Sesame Street Christmas or A Sesame Street Christmas Carol. I've read the Tough Pigs article on SSSC, and I've seen some clips from both specials online (I've watched parts of A Special Sesame Street Christmas on YouTube but never all of it). But if I were to see them, I'd expect to rank both higher than the Elmo's World special (and I'd expect to put SSSC higher than ECC).

As for what I've seen, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and Elmo Saves Christmas are the only really good SST Christmas specials. The others are mediocre at best. The only parts of Elmo's Christmas Countdown I really enjoy are "The Bert and Ernie Christmas Special" and "I Want a Snuffleupagus for Christmas". I saw a review of the special whcih said that Kevin James played a version of Santa that we've never seen before, and I don't quite know what it means by that (though I'm tempted to say that his Santa is just as bad as if not worse than Paul Blart).

Mary Louise

Reaction score
I got to meet Bob at a Barnes and Noble signing a few years ago and he sang "Keep Christmas With You" for the audience. It was such a beautiful moment, I definitely teared up, hehe. And he was very nice and signed my Sesame Street Christmas Sing Along record album. :wisdom:
Lucky you. Bob was one of my favorite adults on Sesame Street. Such a sweet man, with a sweet voice. And you got to meet him. I’m green with envy. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lucky you. Bob was one of my favorite adults on Sesame Street. Such a sweet man, with a sweet voice. And you got to meet him. I’m green with envy. :smile:
Aw, well you never know what can happen. :wink: Yeah I love how Bob brought such a sense of culture to the show. :smile: