Fanscript brainstorming

ISNorden

Reaction score
This may seem weird to some of you, but I've thought about doing a hug-themed fanscript for Sesame Street. Hypothetically, it's a "regular" episode (not a holiday/anniversary special) that could have aired in the 80s, before the huge format changes. Here are some bits and pieces I thought of using:

Street plot (only a few sketchy details so far): Oscar keeps trying to avoid being hugged by his neighbors on the street [I'll need help coming up with a reason]. Everyone who tries, ends up as a victim of Oscar's infamous grouch pranks. Near the end of the episode, it starts to rain; when most of the people are inside, Oscar finally thinks he's safe from "all that yucky, mushy hug stuff". Meanwhile, one of the human characters [any good ideas for a choice?] gets splashed with mud while waiting for a bus...and is VERY surprised when Oscar, instead of insulting them, decides that hugging isn't so bad once in a while. ("Just keep it a secret, OK?")

Sponsors: C (check my original sketch ideas), ?, 2 [Know of any other letters with sketches that fit the theme and/or the story?]

Other original material:
  • A "lost" Alphaquest film about C: Behind the door, the girl discovers a cozy-looking couch with colorful cushions...and meets a cute cat who wants to curl up with her.
  • A parody of Cookie Monster's trademark song: "C is for Cuddle". (Yes, Sesame Street's done altered versions of the "cookie" song on at least two episodes--focusing on different words, and sometimes different letters.)
  • The Count, feeling lonely away from home, tries to fall asleep by hugging a stuffed toy bat and counting the hugs. (This would go all the way to 40 before he drops off... :sleep: )
Classic material:
  • Jazz #2
  • "Two Is My Favorite Number"
  • Prairie Dawn's "emotions" pageant
  • Sign language "I Love You" cartoon
  • Grover's "hug/stop" game
Any ideas that you'd add to the list, or details you'd change? Please let me know!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Great idea! I love being creative, but hate writing, so this sort of brainstorming is fun for me! Anyway, for the "on the street" bits, does Oscar really need a reason not to want to be hugged?
:grouchy: Perhaps Bob, (being my favorite of the adults), or better yet a kid should be the one Oscar hugs?
I think 40 might be a bit too high a number, in that it might take too long to reach. I've noticed though that whenever I start to fall asleep doing something, I'll sort of tune it out, and keep doing it without realizing it. For example, one night I dozed off while doing my Spanish homework off of a cassette. When I woke up, I realized that I had answered a few questions, all of them correctly. My somewhat rambling point is that maybe, in order to make the skit shorter, you could sort of have the Count count in spirts. He could maybe say 1, 2, 3, 4,then jump maybe to 9, 10, 11, then maybe jump to 18, Etc. Does this make sense?

ISNorden

Reaction score
Good suggestions all round, Fragglemuppet, though I should have made one part clearer: it's the other characters who need a reason to hug Oscar, not Oscar who needs a reason to avoid them. Sorry for the confusing language!