Favorite Animal Films

Ziffel

Reaction score
There was also the neat underwater film of an octopus where we saw it and its eight arms up close. Nice dramatic music too. A guy at the beginning of the film shouts, "Octopus!" Not sure if it was Luis, but sounded like it could have been his voice.

Side trivia question: How many arms does a squid have?

Side trivia and joke: On the "Hollywood Squares" one time, Gilbert Gottfried was asked, "What animal has the largest pair of eyes?" Squid is the answer. Gilbert's joking answer was, "Marlon Brando at a buffet!"

Ziffel

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
yes Luis did announce for the cartoon.
I'm not familiar with the cartoon. Have you seen the film of an actual octopus underwater? It was shown a lot in the early to mid 70's but not sure how much further they played it. Sounded to me like it could have been Luis who shouts, "Octopus!" at the beginning of the film.

Ziffel said:
Side trivia question: How many arms does a squid have?
Answer: 10

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh okay. Actually, I just thought of an octopus on classic SS that was a cartoon! Remember the octopus that was playing all those different musical instruments with each arm? A guy's voice said, "One for the fiddle, two for the bow, three for the trumpet and four to blow....nine for the piano, ten for the (not sure what the word is here), hooray for the octopus! One man band!
Then the same thing was repeated.

Soul H

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Oh okay. Actually, I just thought of an octopus on classic SS that was a cartoon! Remember the octopus that was playing all those different musical instruments with each arm? A guy's voice said, "One for the fiddle, two for the bow, three for the trumpet and four to blow....nine for the piano, ten for the (not sure what the word is here), hooray for the octopus! One man band!
Then the same thing was repeated.
The way it goes is 9 for the piano, 10 for the hand.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks Soul H. I figured it was probably something that rhymed with band. And hand makes sense (hand to play the piano). Do you remember what 5 through 8 were? I think guitar might have been one of them and possibly drum and sticks for two others.

Xerus

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Thanks Soul H. I figured it was probably something that rhymed with band. And hand makes sense (hand to play the piano). Do you remember what 5 through 8 were? I think guitar might have been one of them and possibly drum and sticks for two others.
The song goes like this....

1 for the fiddle, 2 for the bow, 3 for the trumpet, and 4 to blow, 5 for the drum, 6 for the stick, 7 for the guitar, 8 for the pick, 9 for the piano, 10 for the hand. Hooray for the octopus, one man band!

SesameMike

Reaction score
Xerus said:
The song goes like this....
"1 for the fiddle...
Hooray for the octopus, one man band!"
Right after those words we sung, a short lead-in musical phrase of four notes "ba-dum bum BUM" (I think only on the first run-through) followed by the musical piece.

Does anyone remember where those same four lead-in notes appeared several years later, long after the short-lived "One for the fiddle" ditty was retired? I seem to recall it was in one of those short letter cartoons, perhaps the letter K. It went:
K
<insert word here>
<insert humorous animated effect here>
K
<insert that musical phrase>

Of course, it would be decades later, with the advent of Noggin, that I would hear that piece in its entirety once again.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Have you seen the film of an actual octopus underwater?
The only octopus film I remember began with a male voice announcing "And now, the octopus!". The soundtrack was an organ rendition of "Pomp and Circumstance", the piece traditionally played at graduations.

Then of course, there was the Muppet version of "Octopus's Garden" by The Beatles, in which they had an octopus "puppet" hanging by string.