Favorite celebrity appearances on "Sesame Street"...

ssetta

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly say that's true. I have this old album called "The Stars Come Out On Sesame Street," which has many songs by celebrities and muppets. Johnny Cash did a song called "Nasty Dan" with Oscar, Grover performed with Madeline Kahn and Lena Horne, and I know that Biff did something, but I'm not sure what. And also, Grover was seen with Stevie Wonder when, I think he was trying to 'be' Stevie.

Now, in recent years, they have had */\/SYNC, Backstreet Boys, Destiny's Child, and all those teen pop artists. What would any of you think of them having Britney Spears? The people at the workshop told me that "no way would we EVER have her on our show." In a way, I do agree because of the way she dresses. But remember what they did with En Vogue? Their totally sexy outfits were turned down, but not their great music. I don't see why they don't do that with Britney Spears. I mean, I can actually picture her doing something with Elmo, or Elmo even trying to be her. It just so happens that Christopher Cerf actually offered Britney to do an old song of his, but I do not know what the name of that song was. So, what do you think?

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
What about the following:

Elmo and Whoopi Goldberg singing a new version of "Somebody Come And Play", with Elmo on violin and Whoopi on drum.

Ernie and Rubber Duckie hanging out on the stoop with Liam Neeson. Rubber Duckie is directing Liam and Ernie reciting the alphabet, and has a special line...er, letter for Liam--"Z!"

Suzanne Farrell dancing while the Count counts. (And Gonzo fiddles while George Burns...whoops, wrong show.)

Grover and Madeline Kahn singing "Sing After Me".

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones singing "Zig Zag Dance" with the Count on "Elmopalooza"...I was in COLLEGE and watched that show just to see the Bosstones, one rockin' ska band.

Kermit and Al Roker in the first hurricane episode.

Patti LaBelle singing the ABC's in her own style!

Lou Rawls singing the ABC's with the kids (circa late 60's).

Billy Crystal as his SNL character "Ricky" talking about the letter U, it's UNBELIEVABLE!

Dizzy Gillespie playing for the human inhabitants of the Street.

(Has anyone noticed how many people have appeared on BOTH Sesame Street and The Muppet Show?)

I also remember Celia Cruz appearing on the show a couple of times.

Mr. Rogers judging the race between Big Bird and Mr. Snuffleupagus. Naturally, Mr. Rogers leaves before Snuffy finishes and when Snuffy gets to the finish line, he doesn't believe that Big Bird saw Mr. Rogers! (First ya run, then ya hop, then ya swing on the vine and then ya run to the finish line...whoops, wrong show again.)

Richard Pryor discussing "happy, sad, scared, and mad".

Jughead from "The Archies" telling a story about the letter J. (Cartoon segment)

The Pink Panther karate-chopping a stone into the letter K. (Same here.)

The all-star versions of "Put Down The Duckie" and "Monster In The Mirror".

Maya Angelou singing about her name (and quite horribly, I might add...stick to the poetry)!

Also, can anyone name the one Sesame Street human that later ended up as a guest star on "The Muppet Show"?

beaker

Reaction score
The Martians on Conan O Brien(Elmopalooza)
elmopalooza has to be my alltime fave Sesame special ever!

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
Specific favorites of Gibson and Williams (and a few celebs I forgot))...

Fave Mel Gibson "Street" appearance: "Lethal Weapon 3" on "Monsterpiece Theater", one of the few times he and Danny Glover (who was also in the sketch) played Riggs and Murtaugh outside of the "Weapon" movies.

Fave Robin Williams "Street" appearance: Improvisation with a stick, complete with a John Wayne impression, a "Good Morning, Vietnam" reference and a jab at his (at the time) Academy Award losing streak.

Others I forgot to mention:

"Downtown" Julie Brown at The Worm World Music Festival. It would've been a funny in-joke if she got in a "Wubba Wubba" somewhere, but it was still a genius appearance.

Rick Moranis singing with Bert about friendship...also, the segment where he played pool with Grover (Great reference to "The Hustler" in the sketch, with Moranis' character being named Minnesota Shorts, after Jackie Gleason's Minnesota Fats)

Martin Short's appearance as Ed Grimley.

Andrea Martin as any of her SCTV characters (like Edith Prickly or Miss Falbo)

Any appearance by Paul Simon

Billy Joel performing "Just The Way You Are" for Oscar The Grouch, with Marlee Matlin providing a sign-language translation

When they aired the early-90s PSA "Yakety Yak-Take It Back" (A pro-recycling retooling of "Yakety Yak"). This allowed through the back alley of the "Street" appearances by people like Quincy Jones, Pat Benatar, Lita Ford, Tone Loc, Natalie Cole and even Ozzy Osbourne! (Back in the days when he was still a maniac and not the TV patriarch emeritus)

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff

EDIT: Wait a minute...I forgot these two.

Big Bird and Snuffy being directed by Spike Lee (this is probably the only "Sesame Street" sketch with an adult-movie term in it, and that only makes it more interesting)

Joan Cusack talking about surprise with the Muppet Monsters. (Joan was good...now all we need is JOHN Cusack to appear on the show)

Gentle Giant

Reaction score
my fav celebs

Mookie Wilson and Keith Hernandez in the Put down the duckie song and NSYNC:smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
How come nobody mentioned R2 D2 and C3PO? That rocked! My favorite episode ever!!!

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Buck Beaver

Originally posted by Gonzo
The two appearances by c-3PO and R2-D2. My worlds collided, and my brain hasn't been the same since.

Quinnnnnnn
Hey! Pay attention, will ya?!

:stick_out_tongue:

Jackie

Reaction score
Garth Brooks always looks like he's having fun on Sesame Street.

zns

Reaction score
Gloria

My favorite's when Gloria Estifan sang Conga Beat.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Paul Simon -- Favorite appearance I wish I had seen. I keep hearing about it but never actually saw it!

Rick Moranis -- Gotta love that scene on the plane with Bert. Instant oatmeal: what a revelation! And I love that whiny stewardess demanding "The chicken or the fish?" :big_grin:

Erin