1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Favorite Character by Brian Henson

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by SamEagle 000, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Skeeter Muppet

Skeeter Muppet Active Member

*giggles* I'll mention him! I also think that Brian does the character well, and it's great to see Scooter again after such a long time.

-Kim
  2. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Did anyone else from the muppeteers do any characters in Return to Oz?
  3. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I agree, Brain's Scooter is excellent. But, even still, I don't consider Scooter to be a Brian Henson character. I consider him to be a Richard Hunt character. Just like Kermit the Frog. He is, and always will be to me, a Jim Henson character who is now performed by Steve Whitmire (yes, the new performers deserve credit as the character being partially theirs too now). Would you say Miss Piggy was an Eric Jacobson character because he's performing her now? I say he's performing her, but she's not an Eric Jacobson character.

Brian Henson is the performer of a Richard Hunt character, one of Jim Henson's Muppets (try remembering all that!!!). ;)

But, yeah, if we're considering all characters he currently performs, yes, I'd have to go with Scooter too.

I know what Byron's gonna say! :flirt:
  4. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Did Brian perform Janice in the Christmas Movie? Oh wow, like, I didn't know that, fer sure.

Bea:zany:{Why am I speaking like this?}regard
  5. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

I think Mak Wilson also was on it.
    I found a website some time ago with a behind the scenes picture with Brian doing the scarecrow.
    You can see it here http://www.angelfire.com/tx/returntooz/themakingofrtz.html
  6. matleo

matleo Active Member

Favorite Brian character is easil Sal Manilla. I just love him. I think he's one of the few MT characters who had a lot of heart to him and vulnerability that mkes him kind of funny. I love the way he and Johnny (Bill Baretta) can play off each other too. I personally think that when they're doing Johnny and Sal together it's as good as any classic Oz/Henson, Nelson/Hunt, or Goelz/Whitmire teamings. and the funny tihng is, the first time I saw Sal (Billy Crystal episode) I didn't like him. I thought he was too obnoxious to be funny and in that first clip they used him for he was. but when they got to the Cindy Crawford episodes and the Tony bennet episodes and fleshed him out a bit, I thought he was great!!

--Matt
  7. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

I feel abit the same as you Matt. The first time I saw Sal I also thought he was a bit anoying. But after awhile I got used to him. And he's actually quite good now.

I don't really think I got a favorite among Brians characters, but if I were to single one or two out it would be Sal closely followed by Phil van Neuter.
    I still haven't seen Brian do eihter Scooter or Janice yet so I can't condsider them in this.
  8. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

when muppets tonight came out, i didn't care for the new characyers because i didn't know them at all. when muppets from space came out, i still didn't care for the new muppet characters. but when the christmas movie came out, i enjoyed seeing the new characters especially sal. i like sal, he's funny. i think he and johnny are a great team.

i also like brian's scooter. i enjoyed seeing scooter back in the christmas movie and hope to see more of scooter in the future. that and also seeing more of janice!

ryan
  9. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Now, when you say more of Janice...

Like you guys, during the first few episodes of MT, I didn't like Sal. I thought he was just an obnoxious little monkey. That's about the time when my parents got rid of the TV hook-up. I saw an occasional episode of Muppets Tonight after that, but not enough to really remember him. Then in Muppets From Space, I thought he was funny, but, I still didn't like him cuz I barely knew who he was! IAVMMCM was when I really started liking him alot more.
  10. Princeton

Princeton Guest

My favorite is kinda obscure. There was this one episode of Dinosaurs called "Mighty Megalosaurus", where Brian plays a little creature named Widget, I think.
  11. muppetmayhem

muppetmayhem Member

12. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

Yeah, I liked how Brian voices Sal. And the long nosed green guy named Nigel who works the controls at Muppet's Tonight and sometimes spazzes out.

Also, Brian did a toy taxi driver named Cruise on The Christmas Toy.

And on Dinosaurs, Brian did a furry mammal named Arthur Rizzic who appeared in the very first episode and ended up becoming Earl's supervisor.

Brian also did a baby dinosaur named Aubrey who was believed to be Earl's real son.
  13. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

Sal the Apple...Sal the Apple...

I like Sal too. Pull his string!!! (sorry, sock monkey reference!)

Also "the elephant!" (Pepe's first appearance- with the most hilarious elephant I have seen in a long time! I wish they would put MT on DVD!)

Edit: ooops, I forgot the end parenthesis!!!

BJ
  14. Lu775

Lu775 Member

That's Seymore (and Pepe) they're two of a kind!
    Pepe is the red one
    Seymore has the big behind

(their running vaudville act on MT is classic!) :)
  15. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

Yeah you don't see him very much now, only Pepe.
  16. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

lu775...

Thank you! I'm SO glad that you remember that sketch-- classique! So that's Seymour! I always wondered what that elephant's name was! I do not know what MT episode that is, so help!

BJ
  17. Lu775

Lu775 Member

They actually show up in most MT episodes. Sometimes they ran the elevator, and sometimes they were allowed on the show to do their act.
    Another great moment has them trying to do the joke: "What do you get if you cross and elephant with a rhino?" and Seymore answers, "'ell-if-I-know".
    And when the audience doesn't laugh, they try to explain why it's funny.
  18. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

I can't believe no one's mentioned this character: The Storyteller's dog!

Always, always , manages to get a laugh outta me during one of the storys.

These are my favorites of his Muppet characters:
    Sal, he's just so funny. I've only seen him in Muppets From Space, and the new Christmas movie but he's great. Brian has an amazing ability to make almost anything Sal says sound funny. Like when he said "Gee Rizzo, your nose is so red you could even say it glows!" like he said it w/o knowing it was a reference to Rudolph, even though we all knew it was, lol. And the whole cake scene w/ him and Johnny in MFS was hilarious. And the gold record player moment in the new Christmas movie was funny.

My other favorite of Brian's is Dr. Phil Van Neuter. I've only seen him in Muppets From Space, but he was just so hilarious in it.
  19. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

What was also neat about Dr. Phil was that he had actual human hands. Just like the Swedish Chef.
  20. HappinessHotel

HappinessHotel New Member

I thought Seymour was awesome! Especially in that MT sketch of their Vaudville act. That cracked me up. Am I the only one?? I never see that funny elephant in anything. (Maybe we'll see him in Oz?) :)