Favorite Counting Segments

Reaction score
Name your favorite counting segments (1-10 or 1-20 in particular). You can also include backwards counting segments.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Do you just mean general counting segments that don't neccessarily teach a specific number (though the counting has to stop somewhere)?

HootsytheOwl

Reaction score
Hello everybodeeee!:super:

I would have to say my two favorite counting things on Sesame Street were "Gimmie Five", and " The One-Two Blues". Great music, great video, and great singing/stage presence by the actors/actress (Olivia).

Your dear friend,
Kitt

dinoboy

Reaction score
india man counting

this is one of my favorites. It's an animated skit where a guy from India begins counting to 10 with his fingers on two hands, then he reveals another two set of hands to successfully count to 20 on his fingers. The sitar music is phenominal not to mention when the India man turns into flowers.

PurpleHonker

Reaction score
The "Ladybug's Picnic" always gets stuck in my head... but I don't really mind it being there. I embrace it. :wink:

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
The pinball cartoons!

Also, the segment where the number 15 sings a song about how kids always forget about and skip over her when counting.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
MAN! I love those pinball number count cartoons. The music is quite appropriate, if you ask me!

CookieCountDawn

Reaction score
I like Milo Counting, Growing Numbers, and Pinball Number Count, among others.

Frank

ISNorden

Reaction score
My favorite "general counting" segments, some of which are pretty obscure:

• A multi-part sketch where the Count withdraws all his money at the bank, in singles, to count out the balance himself. (I distinctly remember him getting just over the $1 million mark, pretty impressive to a child of the 70s!)
  • The Bert and Ernie sketch where Ernie gets bored with counting sheep at night, so he tries counting fire engines--then balloons which explode much more loudly than they should. ("Uh...one?")
  • A two-parter with the Count as a sleepover guest at Bert and Ernie's; Ernie teaches him about counting sheep to fall asleep, but suffers for it the next morning.
  • A "Waiter Grover" sketch where the Count, for a change, is Grover's customer...and hypnotizes the poor monster into bringing zillions of hot dogs for him to count.
I don't know if the 1-20 sketches from the old days (before sponsors went that high) should be included, but here are my favorites for the sake of completeness:

• The cartoon with the four-armed Hinduesque figure counting on his fingers, followed by 20 East Indiian patterns and 20 boxes on an assembly line. I especially liked the bilingual version from the beginning of the second season...
  • The cartoon with 20 numbers getting destroyed in 20 ways (remember Cookie Monster's cameo at #17?).
Finally, my nominee for Best Backwards Count:

• The 1969 cartoons with the rocket countdowns that went wrong in various ways (falling over, launching the director, going off early, etc.) I wonder how many of these "blooper counts" were actually made? So far I've seen maybe seven...