Favorite Mr. Hooper Moments.

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
After reading the thread about Mr. Hooper's final episodes on Sesame Street before his unfortunate passing, I though it might be nice to share some of our favorite Mr. Hooper memories.

These are mine.

1) During the season when the cast of SS went to Hawaii, the cast somehow convinced Mr. Hooper to try his hand at surfing. Although he appeared scared to death, Mr Hooper paddled out, caught a wave & actually rode it all the way to the shallow water! I remember it was a somewhat fightening moment, because when he got off the surfboard, he looked like he was either about to go into shock, or have a heart attack!
The cast helped then Mr. Hooper up to the beach & layed him down on the sand, & when they asked him if he was okay, he looked up, smiled & said:
"I wanna do that again!" :big_grin:

Kowabunga, Mr. Hooper!!!!

2) Anytime Big Bird messed up Mr. Looper's name (sorry, I couldn't resist). :wink: Although he would appear annoyed having to constantly correct Big Bird, you could tell that they truly loved each other & were best friends!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I kind of wonder why they made that part with him going into shock? I myself was scared of that part.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Chris Gawley said:
"I wanna do that again!"
Gee. And I thought that line was made famous by Oscar on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." Lol.

Again, I was pretty young during the Hooper years, so Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is pretty much all I can remember of him.

However, thanks to 'You Tube' I was able to see the sketch with his number 10 machine. I liked the part Big Bird wrecked the thing. I liked Mr. Hooper's reaction when he saw what happened.

BEAR

Reaction score
Since I was about 2 years old when he died, I have very few memories of him. I have to say that my only real memories of him have been from watching Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. He was so wonderful in that special. I think it is pretty safe to say that out of the entire human cast, he had the biggest role in that one, in the subplot with Bert and Ernie. I always loved the scene where he visits Bert and Ernie's apartment to give them back Rubber Duckie and the paperclips.
"I got the best Christmas present ever... I got to see that everyone got exactly what they wanted for Christmas."

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
Unfortunatley, he died right before I can remember watching the show, but the funny thing is, I do remember his death episode when Big Bird wanted to give him a picture. But Luckily a few years ago I was able to see a lot of episodes with him on Noggin. So out of those episodes, I'd have to say, I like the episode when he got his GED from 1976. I like the part towards the end when he had Big Bird tend the store for him, and Big Bird was trying to make an Ice Cream Sundae for a little girl, but had no clue what he was doing, and he kept calling Mr. Hooper (who was in the arbor area trying to study) back into the store to show him how to do each and every little thing. Mr. Hooper never got too angry with him. I think if it was David or Mr. Handford they probably would have yelled at him. I just think it's a shame that I didn't get to know Mr. Hooper better.

CookieCountDawn

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Since I was about 2 years old when he died, I have very few memories of him. I have to say that my only real memories of him have been from watching Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. He was so wonderful in that special. I think it is pretty safe to say that out of the entire human cast, he had the biggest role in that one, in the subplot with Bert and Ernie. I always loved the scene where he visits Bert and Ernie's apartment to give them back Rubber Duckie and the paperclips.
"I got the best Christmas present ever... I got to see that everyone got exactly what they wanted for Christmas."
That is my favorite Mr. Hooper moment too. I haven't seen any other ones because I wasn't born yet when he was still on the show.