Favorite Muppet Show...

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
I am in the process of watching my new Muppet Show DVDs... and am seeing many episodes that I have never seen before!

I was just wondering if everyone had a favorite episode. :smile::wink::concern:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, which dvds do you have? Do you have all three season box sets that have come out so far?

The Jean Stapleton episode in season three is a favorite of mine - there was just something about that first half of season three that really seems special to me - the characters were well developed by that point but everything still seemed fresh and experimental. There was just such a great mix of regular and obscure characters in the JS episode along with some great bits. The opening number, the Jumping Beans, GLADYS, SAM doing the talk spot (with the Swedish Chef), a duet with CRAZY HARRY...so much to love in that one! The Loretta Lynn one (also from first half of season three) comes close but due to my not being all that big on country music loses a few points for me - but otherwise what a wildly wonderful episode - just the opening and closing themes alone could qualify that as an all-time classic! So wonderfully awful!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Me I only have Season One right now and I have gone through it over five times in the past few weeks. I would have to say that I can't right off hand recall the name of the guest, but one part I love is Kermit and Fozzie doing "Good Griff the Comedain is a bear"
I also crack up laughing every time I watch the Avary Schriber show, and Piggy tells her name, and then the reaction on Kermit's face makes me laugh. I'm laughing as I'm typeing this what a dork.

PurpleHonker

Reaction score
Picking just one episode is a most difficult task! I currently own seasons 1-3, and I would have to say the Madeline Kahn episode really stands out for me with it's reporters blowing up and all. Also nearing the top of my list are the episodes with Vincent Price (I love him and the Muppets, so it's just perfect!), Petula Clark (the chocolate moose is GREAT!), Gilda Radner, Steve Martin and Mummenschanz (pretty freakin creepy if you ask me!).

MeepMeepBork

Reaction score
I own all three seasons as well, and it's hard for me to pick a favorite, but I love the Gilda Radner episode from Season 3. "Lullaby of Broadway" featuring Brian Henson's penguin, a seven-foot-tall talking carrot, and another Muppet Labs experiment gone haywire. What's not to love?

I'm also quite fond of the Paul Williams episode in Season 1. Aside from the fact that he's one of my favorite singer/songwriters, the running gag about him being cute and little (an "honorary Muppet", as Kermit put it) is classic.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think it's a next to impossible task to pick one, single favorite episode of The Muppet Show. At least for me it is. However, since purchasing the DVDs, I think the two episodes I'm most partial to are the Bernadette Peters episode and the Harry Belafonte episode.

The episode with Harry Belafonte has one of the funniest moments (the Banana Boat number is hilarious!) and one of the most poignant. The ending is so inspiring. Tell me you're not tempted to go out and hug a tree after it's over.

I'm not really sure I know why I like the Bernadette Peters episode so much. I love the opening number. "How could you believe me when I said I loved you when you know I've been a liar all my life?" (actual song title) I love the ant and the grasshopper story. And then there's Just One Person. I can't help but cry hearing that song, no matter who sings it. And Bernadette's voice is beautiful during the performance.

I also love the Linda Carter episode, as evidenced by my username. The Chris Langham episode is hilarious! ... Gosh, how can you pick just one?

Son of Enik

Reaction score
So many great episodes to choose from. I have always loved the Harry Belafonte show, the Mark Hamill and Alice Cooper episodes best. I love the whole macarbe feel of the Cooper show and to see Hamil and the droids singin "When You Wish Upon a Star" with The Muppets was awesome and somewhat prophetic as The Disney Hollywood Studios has both The Muppets and Star Wars in the park.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Top 5:

5. Any episode featuring the Sesame Street Muppets
4. Vincent Price
3. Alice Cooper
2. Elton John
1. Mac Davis

GarlicGuy

Reaction score
Elton John....Vincet Price.....and the one where the pigs takeover.