1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Favorite non-Henson puppet shows growing up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beaker, May 4, 2004.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It wasn't this show was it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unhappily_Ever_After

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7L1QzhjMWg

Lol, that sounds cute.

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Nah, but I did like that one... tried TOO hard to be Married with Children, though.

It was a kid's show first of all. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. It seemed like it was just a given. I think the cat was either a D.J. or something... it was on Sunday Mornings before Beany and Cecil reruns on my local Fox network (this was before Fox Kids). I almost found out what it was once, and I forgot what it was. It may have been a local show, and we somehow got the reruns...

Lemme see if I can find something...
    AHAHA!

That's it! I found it!

The American Version of "DJ Kat"[/URL]

Don'cha hate it when the name of something you're looking for IS the general description of what you remembered it to be?

3. heralde

Lol, yup, sometimes you already have the answer. ;)

4. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I'm apparently not subscribed so I never posted here. Odd.

Puzzle Place
    Wimzie's House
    Book of Pooh
    Betweeeeen the Liiioooooons

You know, it took me until I was 18 to realize the pun in Between the Lions :p

5. Drtooth

That show came on JUST as I was getting out of High School. I remember vividly switching to the PBS channel during the commercial break of something for kids on another broadcast station in the middle of the afternoon (remember that? That was amazing) and saw some weird thing about a Potato. Then something called Cliff Hanger. It took me weeks to just give into the curiosity and see what the heck this delightfully weird thing was. That's how I discovered the show.

It had a sizable hiatus from switching to WGBH to Mississippi Public Television as the production company. But I find those newer episodes to be uneven. Instead of one or 2 stories and an in show plot revolving around them, they read one story with a framing device and read another... like the show was split into 2 different segments. And they dumbed down some of the educational content. At the end, they were teaching colors and numbers... in a literacy show. And I REALLY did not like the first season back where they just re-read the same stories... I mean, reused the same exact footage but had new framing materials. The writing and puppetry did shine through that, though. But I miss those earlier seasons.

I think the show ended now.

6. Fragglemuppet

Fragglemuppet Well-Known Member

Ooh, and who can forget Lambchop? My first introduction to the show was from a video tape that my mom bought me, and from there on I caught the show whenever I could.

7. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

I love Lamb Chop,m Charlie Horse, And Hush Puppy. RIP SHARI LEWIS! You are missed!

heralde likes this.
  8. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Wow, surprised I never heard of Under the Umbrella Tree! Total precursor to Bear in the Big Blue House it seems.

Um, what is a "Canadian accent"? I've heard people say this all my life, but what is it? Every Canadian Ive met or heard on tv sounds like a Californian or non-accented American. (ie: non southern/boston/new york accent) Do they mean the Sarah Palin/Fargo movie accent? As I've never heard a Canadian speak like that. Only accents I know of are Quebec people.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see much puppetry in the future. Cgi has overtaken everything along with flash cartoons. Closed to puppets right now is full bodied costumes ala the amazing and kick butt show Yo Gabba Gabba.

@Dr Tooth: Wow, never heard of a Mr Potatohead show. Its really from 1998??? Looks more like 1988...which isnt bad. As I LOVE shows like Hey Vern its Earnest, Pee Wee's Playhouse, etc. Im also a big Ed Grimley fan.

9. Drtooth

Yeah. About 1998 or so. I remember having to miss an episode to have to take PSAT's or something. It was a kid's puppet show that wasn't a kiddy puppet show. It had some subversive humor in it, I remember... had a character that was a punk rock moldy piece of fruit called Johnny Rottenapple. And a mad scientist Dr. Fruitcake. They once had a mutant reanimated ham run amok of the studio. And I swear there was an episode where they got alien television broadcasts that were incredibly bizzare flashing lights and weird sounds and the cast was trying to make heads or tails out of it. Very weird, fun, quirky show.

But, you know... it wasn't Power Rangers, so Fox didn't give 2 craps about it, and it languishes in obscurity.

http://www.mashmagazine.com/99nov/novcoolcareer.html
    is the only article I can really find about it, but it doesn't so much mention the show as say she was in it...

10. heralde

Have you seen the South Park movie? ;)

11. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I didn't really watch anything else Puppets
    I never even heard of all these other shows

12. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

Does anybody remember a show that featured a full-body puppet dragon and a talking apple tree? :confused:

I vaguely remember watching an episode once and loving it, but I've never figured out what it was called.

13. Dominicboo1

I don't remember a tree, but could it be Dudley the Dragon?

14. 80sRobot

80sRobot New Member

Eureka's Castle and Fred Penner's Place. Two great shows on Nick Jr in the early 90's.

15. heralde

16. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

Let's see...
    • Puzzle Place (One character was done by Peter, and then Matt took over)
    • Tots TV
    • Eureka's Castle
    • Lamb Chop's Play Along
    • Between the Lions (Peter Linz was on it!)
    Did you guys know Peter Linz was on Between the Lines? And he did two characters on Puzzle Place, and when he left halfway through the run Matt came in and took over both? What fascinating things you learn when its passed midnight and you should be asleep!

17. Dominicboo1

I love Between The Lions!

18. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I loved Today's Special, although Muffy kinda freaked me out. I don't know why! I also liked Dumbo's Circus, if it counts.

19. heralde

Yup, I remember watching Sesame Street every morning of course but then turning to Nickelodeon for Today's Special. To this day I love the image of department stores at night and I had no idea why, but looking back it's definitely because of this show. It was just very atmospheric and unique (it helps that they filmed in an actual department store!).

I'm glad TV Ontario put some episodes online because it's doubtful the show will be on DVD anytime soon.

Yeah I'd say that counts. Another show I'd watch all the time. I was actually more familiar with it than the original Dumbo cartoon, lol.

20. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Well-Known Member

I *loved* puppet shows as a child. I still watch them when they're on.
    My favorites were:
    Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    Eureeka's Castle (Magellan rocked!)
    Lambchop

One of my students brought in a Lambchop puppet for show-and-tell a few weeks ago and I just about died from all of the sweet nostalgia lol.