Favorite Sleep Sketches

dietrich

Reaction score
I was wondering what was everyone's favorite Sesame Street sketches about sleep. This can include Muppet sketches, street scenes, adult inserts, live inserts and cartoons. One of mine is Take a Cowboy to Lunch Day where everyone takes a nap after eating. Excluded from contention are the ones that have been replayed numerous times (Everybody Sleeps and Dance Myself to Sleep).

SillyRed

Reaction score
Another sleep sketch is where Bert and Ernie sing a Broadway-Style song about sleep.

There's been scenes where Big Bird is snoring! His snoring is 1 of the funniest sounds ever!!!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, I was going to say the songs "Everybody Sleeps" and "Dance Myself to Sleep" but I guess those are out of the running due to overplay.
But anyway, there's lots of great sketches with Ernie and Bert in their respective beds. Also, there's a good one with Grover in his bed talking about going under the covers and pretending that he's on the surface of the moon. And another one where his mom comes to give him a glass of water. Of course, I personally love the ones where Ernie wakes Bert up to tell him something (and Bert's almost always sound asleep and not wanting to be bothered) and then promptly Ernie winds up losing interest and falling asleep while Bert is left awake and frustrated. One particular time was when Bert and Ernie were camping and Ernie pointed out all the sounds of the woods. (At one point, he mentions a frog ribbitting and asking Bert, "Remind you of anyone we know?" :smile: ) -(I love that era. Back when Kermit was an active member of Sesame Street!) Anyway, there's actually a cool Sesame Street video that was released that features Maria telling Big Bird and Snuffy bedtime stories (most of them being nursery tales reported on by Kermit the Frog with Sesame Street news.) At the end of the video, Kermit himself pops up in his trenchcoat and says he's tired from all the reporting and tells Big Bird to move over and snuggles up with Big Bird and Snuffy in Big Bird's nest!!! That is so cool and cute! :flirt:
And you have to mention Ernie's dream of balloons all over Sesame Street because he's scared of the dark. (Balloons are something he likes that Bert told him to think about to calm himself down.)
And there's Bert's dream of ice skating and that really peaceful music. And Ernie and Bert singing "But I Like You". And there's "Imagination", which is another great lullaby. And the ultimate lullaby would have to be "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon"!!!!

(And Big Bird does have a distinctive snore!) :wink:

BEAR

Reaction score
Aww man! Big Bird's snore is awesome! You guys mentioned some great moments. I have a tape that I used to listen to a lot as a kid when I would lie in bed and it was called Sleepytime on Sesame Street. The premise is that Little Bird is sleeping over at Big Bird's nest and Little Bird is having trouble falling asleep. So Big Bird sings to her a bird lullabye that his granny used to sing to him and she falls right to sleep. Unfortunately, then Big Bird is having trouble himself getting sleepy, so all of his Sesame Street friends come by and try to help Bird get to sleep by singing their own lullabyes. I love that tape, especially because it has Mr. Hooper, David and Olivia on it, as well as Jerry Nelson as Snuffy back when Snuffy was "Imaginary".
Anyone else know this tape?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I don't know about that one, but I thought Olivia, Snuffy and Big Bird singing "One Little Star" was really good.

Of course nothing can compare with "Dance Myself to Sleep." Sleep sketches with :frown: and :stick_out_tongue: are always the best!

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I don't know about that one, but I thought Olivia, Snuffy and Big Bird singing "One Little Star" was really good.

Of course nothing can compare with "Dance Myself to Sleep." Sleep sketches with :frown: and :stick_out_tongue: are always the best!

I love "One Little Star."

I also liked "Dance Myself to Sleep," especially the version from The Street I Live On when they did that scene and cut to a clip montage of celebrity guests dancing to Ernie's bugle solo. I especially enjoyed watching Whoopi, Doris Roberts and Larry King.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember a classic episode during the late 70's where Big Bird had a hard time falling asleep. Bert comes in and suggests he march to sleep. Bert turns on a tape recorder and a marching song plays and tells Big Bird to get up and march. Big Bird does that and marches around the room while Bert's having a great time. Then Big Bird starts to get sleepy and tries to go back to his nest. But Bert wouldn't let him and keeps him marching. Big Bird has no choice but to leave his room. Bert was too busy marching to notice that Big Bird was out sleeping in the street.

Dantecat

Reaction score
I saw this episode at the Museum of Television and Radio Xerus.Besides,Why would he really sleep on the street?

SesameMike

Reaction score
Although this is part of the earlier "Everybody Sleeps" film, I give honorable mention to that eerie scene toward the end where a man is sitting in a (rocking?) chair. He is reading (I think), and he suddenly but gradually leans forward, out of his seat, to fall asleep on the floor.

How about this one where a kid is voice-over narrating a film of his own life. He says "I like to <do such-and-such>. And I also like to sleep." That last phrase, which was also the end of the clip, had the kid sitting in bed and reaching over to turn out the light. The room went dark with the screen. I think that soft background music played in this one.

BEAR

Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :excited: I was just reading the last post on here while listening to Muppet Radio and guess what comes on? "Dance Myself to Sleep"!!! Too weird.

Bert: "Where did the sheep get tap shoes?"....classic!!