Fear Factor

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
So, why is reality television seen as the low point of society? I'll admit that most of it's not very intelligent, but I enjoy some of the shows like The Apprentice and even the first Joe Millionaire. These shows entertained me. Yeah, they're all a little silly but my friends and I have fun watching them largely because of that. Judging by the ratings for some "reality" programs, millions of others enjoy them too.

As for contestants, of course they're just after a quick buck and their fifteen minutes of fame. What's wrong with that? If you watch Fear Factor, it seems like most of them are enjoying their time on the show. It's not like they're being forced to go through these stunts at gunpoint. I say let them do what they enjoy and go for the fame and fortune. That's the beauty of living in the U.S.

Also, as for "compromising their souls for money", how do we know that? It seems that would be a pretty personal evaluation. Not everyone has the same values as everyone else.

Yes, it's true the networks broadcast these shows because they're relatively cheap and more profitable. They also broadcast them because many people watch them and the networks can then charge more for advertising slots. This is the only goal of the networks--to make greater profits for their shareholders. After all, that's just capitalism at work.

I guess my basic point is that reality shows are simply made to provide entertainment. Like any other form of entertainment, not everyone's going to enjoy them. But, I really don't see how they represent the downfall of society as so many seem to think.