Feathers

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Does anyone know a place where you can buy ostrich feathers? I would like to give my puppets hair that dosen't look like fur fabric.

Jinx

Reaction score
Often you can find them at crafts stores such as Michael's or JoAnn's. I like to use maribou boas for hair. They're not expensive, and come in many colors. They're also pretty easy to sew onto puppet scalps.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
This is a great source for feathers... I've ordered from them a number of times.

http://www.tonyhill.net/
Agreed!... I've tried jo-Anns and michaels... but they have small boas... If you want the longer, or choose to adjust the size yourself... or maybe buy a single color... i'd go with Tonyhill.net.

Jinx

Reaction score
At both Michaels and JoAnn's the boas can be found in the doll-making supplies area. Often the turkey feather boas are most visible, but the maribou ones are there as well. Not sure what Cookie is referring to above, but the ones I got were about six feet long... more than ample for my needs!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
At both Michaels and JoAnn's the boas can be found in the doll-making supplies area. Often the turkey feather boas are most visible, but the maribou ones are there as well. Not sure what Cookie is referring to above, but the ones I got were about six feet long... more than ample for my needs!
My Joann's doesn't carry doll-making supplies. (Which stinks because I have a puppet in need of a doll wig.)

CoOKiE

Reaction score

Are you talking about the boa itelf being long or the feathers on the boa? i meant the feathers or are they called plumes? I'm sorry for not being specific.

I found the feathers/plumes on the boa to be really short for a character like animal or wembly. BUT if you're looking for the short haired type, then go for it!

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
I started a Puppet Builders links page on my website-
http://puppeteersunite.com/?page_id=1059
hope this little page helps you to find other materials you might be searching for later.

If anyone has any other links please send me a private message and i'll gladly include them.