Fellow Church People

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
Just wondering, what does everyone think of the Left Behind books and movies
Are you talking about the books they didn't add?

Davina

Reaction score
no there is a fictional series of novels (and some have been converted to film) known as the "left behind" series that they are refering to.. i've never read them so can't coment one way or the other really, but they are supposed to be about the end times when the "righteous are taken into heaven" and everyone else is "left behind" or something like that.. like i said.. never read them, don't know much about them...

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I would have to agree with Ilikemuppets but of course Fozzie Bear is right too when he says not to be inflamatory.
Just for the record, I am of the Catholic faith. It's a faith that comes under a lot of cristicism but I'm still proud to be Catholic.
My Mum and I try to go to Church every Sunday but it's hard when we live so far from the nearest Catholic Church. My Dad and brothers are not at all Church-going and sometimes I wonder if Dad and Paul have really been saved? I know my other brother Joel doesn't believe in God, in fact, the only time he speaks the name of Jesus is when he swears.
Still, the Bible says, "Judge not, les ye be judged". (Mathew 7:1). I always try to keep that in mind. While it is also written that "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) I believe there is good in everyone.
God bless you all.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, as has been said before, some things depends on what church you go to. A lot of Catholic churches I've been to say people who aren't Christian can still be saved as long as they are good people.

Also, I do agree, Catholicism does have a hard time.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with that herald! I don't think that you can be saved by being a good person if you're not a christian. That being said, there is nobody that Jesus didn't die for. nobody who is a Christian was born that way, and thrers nobody who can be saved by Jesus, so there's nobody who can't be a Christian if they choose to be so.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I guess so. I gusee well just have do our own seperate thing then. You know, I've herd before that if you follow the law in the old testement perfectly without flaw, you still would be saved to this very day. But sense no man can do the, that that's the reason Jesus did it for them because they could not.

I still like you and am your friend though. Of corse disagrements arn't reasons to end frendships.

Ziffel

Reaction score
You're right on the money, Ilikemuppets. "There is no one good, no not one" (Romans 3:9,10). "All fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) And like you said, if we are guilty of even ONE commandment of God then we are guilty of ALL (James 2:10) so no one can be "good enough" to be saved. That's why, as you also said, Jesus had to die. Jesus is God who also became man for us and lived a sinless life (which no one can do) and then sacrificed Himself for us so that whosoever believe in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) You are also correct, ILM, that Jesus died for everybody (WHOSOEVER believes in Him) and that He is also the only way to salvation (whosoever believes in HIM). Also as Jesus Himself said in John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life. NO ONE comes to the Father BUT BY ME". And Acts 4:12 "There is salvation in NO ONE ELSE. There is NO OTHER name under Heaven by which we can call upon to be saved." And 1 John 5:12,13 "He who has the SON HAS life, he who does NOT have the SON does NOT have life. I say these things to you who have the SON OF GOD so that you may KNOW you have ETERNAL LIFE."
Isn't that wonderful news that we can KNOW we have eternal life. It's so simple and yet so critical. Acts 15:11 "We are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus". Acts 16:30,31 "Sirs, what must I do to be saved? Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved."
It's not about what a church, religion, or individual says. God's word is clear. Jesus is the only way to be saved.
By the way, I've never heard of a Catholic church teaching that you can be saved apart from Jesus if you are a "good person". Since Catholicism is Christian that really surprises me if that's the case in any Catholic church. But even if it is, we have the truth given to us by God in His word and needn't be bothered or confused by any person or group saying contradictory things.
Glory be to Jesus. "He Himself IS our peace" (Ephesians 2:14)

Thanks brother ILM, for your good posts. Nice to have you here. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Traditionally, the "faith is more important than good works" argument is Protestant, not Catholic.

But like I said, respectfully agree to disagree. I don't think it's worth debating over and over. So, no hard feelings, but I'll just go now. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
I think Catholicism agrees that we are saved by God's grace through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. It's not that faith is more important than works, but rather that works cannot earn salvation, faith in Jesus Christ alone is what does. Ephesians 2:8-10 is a very helpful passage. It says:

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God--
not because of works, lest any man should boast.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

So it says we are saved by grace through faith apart from works. And then it shows that works are still extremely important for us to manifest because we were created for good works that we should walk in them. Many other verses show their importance like Titus 2:14 saying we should be "zealous for good works". God is all holy and cannot excuse sin. But we all have the sin nature and all of our righteousness is "as filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:4). That's why Christ had to die for us and when we receive Him as Savior He comes in to us and empowers us to live the way God intended us to live.
I like how one man puts it: "We are saved by faith alone. But the faith that we are saved by is not alone (i.e. genuine saving faith will RESULT in good works).
Remember also Galatians 2:21 "For if we could be saved by keeping the law, then there was no need for Christ to die."