Female Anything Muppets

JLG

Reaction score
Does anyone know who was doing the voices of most of the girl/woman AM's during SS's first year? Fran Brill hadn't been hired yet, so it had to be Henson, Oz, and Nelson doing them. We know how well Frank does certain female voices :mad: , but others really do sound like women to me---like the "mother" in episode #1's "Consider Yourself" sketch with Gordon, or the green girl in "Mahna-Mahna" (not the purple one---that's clearly a guy :sing: ). Was it Jane Henson? I thought she'd stopped performing by then. I admit I've seen next to nothing of pre-'70s Muppet films and don't know what Jane's characters sounded like.

Tim

Reaction score
My guess is that they used anyone handy. Jim I'm sure tried to find qualified female puppeteers for years and Fran was pretty much it for the longest time. To my knowledge, Jane never really did voices, Frank did a few, and since some of those bits were lip-sincet, they could have been anyone available. .Loretta Long did Roosevelt Franklin's Mom, for example, and even Rita Moreno did the "Women" song.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Wherre did you hear about Moreno doing the voices for that skit? i agree it sure sounds like her.

Tim

Reaction score
I forget where-a print article or interview with her many years ago. She had just mentioned in passing doing voice work with The Muppets, and I only knew her (at that time) from "The Electric Company", but always liked her and knew her voice real well.

She also did the "Hole In The Bucket" number with Jim.