Finger Grips

Grunter

Reaction score
Hi,
Ive been browsing the forums for a while, but this is the first time i post :smile:

I have a question, I tried my hand at a really simple build and noticed the lack of finger grips, and definitely saw the need for them.

I wanted to ask, what is the best method, the foam book shows actual like "finger" slots where each finger is to slide in. Swazzle's 101 shows a bar across the back of the mouthplate.

Any tips or ideas?
Thanks!

mrhogg

Reaction score
I sometimes use a fabric loop (some simple cotton or something, whatever's on hand) and glue it into place. Other times I glue a strip of foam to keep the hands in place, and other times I fill the head with scraps of foam, until it gets tight. Typically I don't have a problem with the chin grip, as they're typically small enough to not need the assist.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Nick Barone taught the "fill the head til it's full" technique in his workshop. I've done both that & Drew's way with the finger tubes. I have no preference. they both work well. I guess the upside of Nick's way is that I've torn my finger tubes right out before.

Be sure you cover your foam with some sort of breathable cotton before you put it inside though, so your hand isn't sweating all over the foam, causing it to break down more quickly.

Toasty

Reaction score
Another design element to consider is the addition of a small rounded pad (smaller than the size of a tennis ball cut in half) on the top of the mouthplate (where the performers fingers will rest). This will create a curved surface so the fingers will curl around it slightly (and grip) in a more natural position when the wrist is bent down in the proper position during performance.

This design is particularly useful with non-flexible mouthplates--like Fozzie. It's less important when using rubber or other flexible mouth plate materials -- like Kermit.

Grunter

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies I really appretiate it.

What Im aiming for is a flexible mouth plate, Like piggy or Kermit. So I have been trying to figure out the best available.

On the covering sugestion, I was considering using a tshirt like fabric, much like the "Foam Book" suggested.

Thanks guys!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Swazzle's 101 shows a bar across the back of the mouthplate.
That technique works very well with certain characters. Kermit's finger grip would likely be something like that because of how small the head is, if he has one at all. He's basically a glove anyway, so "finger slots" would be unnecesary, and would detract from the shape of his head.

I own one of the Muppet Workshop Puppet Kits, and that one has a soft surved "bar" near the back of the mouthplate (if it were right on the back, it would be too far back... back). It works nicely, again because of the size of the puppet.

A puppet with a large, hollow head would need the extra support of "finger slots" or "stuffing the head." But I am curious. Couldn't stuffing the head detract from flexibility? Maybe not. Just a thought.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies I really appretiate it.

What Im aiming for is a flexible mouth plate, Like piggy or Kermit. So I have been trying to figure out the best available.

On the covering sugestion, I was considering using a tshirt like fabric, much like the "Foam Book" suggested.

Thanks guys!

Gasket rubber is a favorite material of most puppet builders. You can buy sheets of it at Home Depot or Lowes.

I also like to use cheap foam camping mats, which you can get from a hiking supply store. It's even more flexible than gasket rubber, but the drawback is that because it's not as tough as rubber it can bow from the pressure of your fingers overtime. Here's an example from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Lightweight-Foam-Camping-Mat-Sleeping/dp/B001BSI5UW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1229383791&sr=8-6

Jinx

Reaction score
I've used many, if not most, of the above-mentioned methods, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. My primary criteria is that it moves with my hand with no latency.

For one of my puppets I took a cotton jersey work glove and simply glued it to the (rigid carboard) mouthplate. That was about 15 years ago, and it's still holding up great. This particular puppet has a rather tall head, so I needed to assure accurate lip sync. The only downside is that he's a bit cumbersome to put on.

I like the stuffed head, I like the finger tubes, I like a single, wide "tube" for all four fingers. I like a rigid mouthplate, and I like a gasket-rubber mouthplate. About the only things that I personally do not care for are the "bar" or "partial ball" on the upper plate. This is strictly a personal preference, because many puppeteers I know really like it.

The most important thing to know is what the requirements of the particular puppet are. I have to (get to?) adjust my style to each puppet in order to manipulate it in the most compelling way.

wes

Reaction score
I use finger tube, the foam Book shows you how to do this its great and the people I sell to love it! keeps the hand steady inside the head.

basically you take 1/2 inch foam and make a long cylinder just big around to fit your finger in. I put 2 on the top plate and 1 on the bottom.

It makes the puppet fit like a glove.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I use finger tube, the foam Book shows you how to do this its great and the people I sell to love it! keeps the hand steady inside the head.
Finger tubes are also shown being used in some behind-the-scenes photos of the Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas puppets being built.