First Foam puppet attempts.....

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
These are my first two attempts at making puppets out of foam. Previously, I've always used poly fill, but just wasn't getting the facial features or shape I wanted.

After purchasing The Foam Book Videos I made both of these puppets...... what do ya think?

Ryan

Reaction score
Very good! Excellent. Only one suggestion. I would probably make my own eyes. It gives the puppet more character, and store bought eyes tend to look cookie cutter. You can make them out of several things; ping pong balls (half or full), felt, even ice cream lids (ask Warrick, they've worked well for him). As for pupils, I highly suggest what I call "scratch resistant pads" They are small circles with sticky backs, which are meant to put on the bottoms of chair legs so they don't scratch up wooden floors. The can be found at most dollar stores. They come in black and green, and possibly red. I'm thinking of posting my first attempts soon. Good job!

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions Scooter! I was hoping that I would get feedback for imporvements! =) I have tried "the spoon method" before as well, but I have a difficult time of cutting the handle off without getting splinters flying off of the good spoon part that I wanna use. I do want to get efficient at doing that though, because spoons do make great eyes and the lids looks especially nice on them. I've never used the pads you metioned though...... neat trick!

Do you have a sample of how you used a WHOLE ping pong ball for eyes? I can't see how they would attach securely unless a "pit" is made for them to sit in?

Annnnd, Ice Cream Lids?! :excited: If Warrick doesn't see this and post here to share with everyone then I'll have to hunt him down! :halo:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Great work!! I need to get into that, too! Love them.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
That is one awesome looking puppet. It looks like it could have been IN the Foam Book!

Puppetplanet said:
I have tried "the spoon method" before as well, but I have a difficult time of cutting the handle off without getting splinters flying off of the good spoon part that I wanna use.QUOTE]

Try using a small hacksaw if you have one. I'm making some puppets for a church and one requires extra-large eyes. I found that the ends of basting spoons work really well for him, so I sawed off the handles and sanded them down to look smoother, and they look perfect.

Also at Muppetfest I met Steve Troop (who's been on here a few times) and he's got an excellent way of making any kind of eyes you want: go to Home Depot and buy one of those big round plastic outdoor lamp tops and dremmel out any shape you want. The effect he got with that method was amazing.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Puppet Planet,

Hi,
Ned looks fantastic ! Great Job !

When i use Ping Pong balls, I cut them in half. Then i glue an 'eyelid' onto them, most of the time it covers half of the semi circle ball.

Then just glue the bottom of the half ball to the head. You can use more glue where the eyelid ends, Seeing as there is more room.

Try to keep the excess glue on the inside of the ball, So it doesnt look sloppy on the outside, But it still has lots of grip.

see ya

BorkBork

Reaction score
Great job! I like ned!!!! Alot!

Warrick, you can get full pingpongballs with eyelids too! just cut them in half, put some antron on the full half and glue them together, put an eyeliner and the pupil. It will look great, and not showing any cutmarks or seams. This should work great with david pannapeckers eye-domes too :smile:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Thanks so much everyone for all your wonderful ideas!

Warrick: Scooter mentioned something about your ability to make eyes out of ice cream lids. Please do share, as an avid ice cream fan I'd sure like to make use of all those lids!! :excited:

fishbone

Reaction score
no,screw that...the eyes look great...don't touch them...you could sell them .seriously,nip & tuck on the first one? painted foam?.. nice :excited:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
fishbone said:
no,screw that...the eyes look great...don't touch them...you could sell them .seriously,nip & tuck on the first one? painted foam?.. nice :excited:

Yes, the first one is the nip and tuck method as shown on the Foam Book Videos. It was also painted with the Design Master Floral spray paint as suggested in the video.

Do I sound like a commercial for the Foam Book Yet? :big_grin: