First time puppet builder tips/help please!

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I have been wanting to start building some professional puppets like most of you puppet builders do on here for ages, I thought I had better start now so I can have a while to learn. I have a good puppet book for relative beginners but it doesnt give that much detail on how to do things, just a guide and I think I have gotten the hang of what to do now as I have read it over and it has photos of what to do too.

I found a really nice bear or lion type puppet made out of foam and I cant wait to start making him, I keep thinking that it might be too hard but the other half of my brain makes me believe I can do it and be optimistic, I know I can!

The puppet is a simple mouth puppet with fur on the back of the head reaching down to the part where you stick your hand, you know what I mean! The problem is it doesnt say anything about what materials to use except foam rubber and I need to know what exact type is best to use for a beginner and what is best for this purpose and something that should be available in most fabric/sewing shops etc.

The material use to cover the foam (well that part is optional) you can just cover the back of the head and actually paint the actual foam once its shaped properly. it looks like its just some kind of brown fur fabric like something you would get if you were making a soft toy. Does it matter what type of fur fabric is used? What types of glue should be used also.

Is foam rubber easy to get in a block like a cube?

This is the first time I have attempted making a puppet like this so I need all the help I can get.

Are most muppet style puppets made using foam and covered with fabric? When you make puppets out of poly styrene foam is it done in the same way.

I am using the puppet in the book I have as a guide, I will change it a bit. The hand and arm of the puppet isnt connected its just a big glove warn by the puppeter, I am thinking I might attach it some way to the puppet or I might even use rods, are rods used on most muppet style puppets that you puppet builders make, I want to start getting more familiar with using rods.

I hope someone can help, any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
from, Paul :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yes, most hand and rod Muppet-style puppets are made from foam and then either painted, flocked or covered in fleece and/or fur.

There is lots of information available already right here in this forum. Try doing a search for "puppet building". You'll likely find answers to most of the questions you have are already here!

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Thanks

Thankyou very much for some more of your great help. I was just wondering, what does flocked mean?

Thanks,
from Paul :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Flocking is a process where a special adhesive is applied to the puppet's head and a fine dust-like coloured powder is applied to the adhesive using a special machine called a flocking wand. The Muppets began using it sometime in the 1970s I believe to make their carved-foam puppets appear "fuzzy" and match the rest of the Muppets.

There is more information available at this link - www.axtell.com/flock.html.

puppet builder

Reaction score
Sketch, sketch, and Resketch...

Hi Paul,

Building a professional grade puppet takes a lot of thought, effort, is very rewarding and I encourage you to do so!

However, I can't emphasize the design process enough. If you intend to create a principal character. Think about what you need it do be able to do. Sketch, sketch and when you think you're there... resketch.

Even if it's only cartoonish. If your sketch makes someone smile, you're close, really close.

Then take up materials and build.

Good Luck!

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Thankyou very much for your help. All I need the puppet to do is just be a puppet if you know what I mean, I only want it to be very simple but the size and type like muppet style puppets.
I have a great book and I am going to build one out of that and start with that and possibly modify them, if it comes out well I will continue building and experimenting building different types of puppets abd hopefully get really good at it.

Its my dream to become a really good puppet builder and a professional puppeteer! :smile: :excited:

biblebetty

Reaction score
Drawing or sketching

puppet builder said:
Hi Paul,

Building a professional grade puppet takes a lot of thought, effort, is very rewarding and I encourage you to do so!

However, I can't emphasize the design process enough. If you intend to create a principal character. Think about what you need it do be able to do. Sketch, sketch and when you think you're there... resketch.

Even if it's only cartoonish. If your sketch makes someone smile, you're close, really close.

Then take up materials and build.

Good Luck!
I understand that it is important to draw or sketch your charter but what it you don't draw? what do you do then? I could use the help!!

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
A lot of builders will suggest drawing so that you can get an image of the features you want in the character your going to build. It will give you an idea of what your finished product will look like. Even if you don't draw well, you can still draw a circle or oval in the shape of what you want your puppet to be and then begin to add different features such as hiar (curly, wild, straight, etc.) and lips, big nose or little nose, will it have eyes or glasses..... etc. This helps to decide what you think will look best.

I think the drawing method helps builders have a starting point and reference for building their character.

Personally, I just go straight to the puppet building process. However, I take my time and imagine the character and what I'm shooting for. I'll already have some idea while I'm building the head and body etc. Once I get down to putting on features I will pin on the nose, ears, eyes, hair, etc... to see what I think looks best. It helps me to see the actual effect in real life than on paper and also.... because I always enjoyed playing with dolls when I was little. *laughing*

I'm sure Buck, Foz, and some others will probably be posting here soon too. =)

puppet builder

Reaction score
Developing a Character!

biblebetty said:
I understand that it is important to draw or sketch your charter but what it you don't draw? what do you do then? I could use the help!!
Hi Betty,

Drawing, regardless of basic ability or advanced isn't the end all. It's just a incredibly helpful tool that gets you to the final product. In this case, getting the puppet built.

Frank Oz said it best... the the documentary Biography: Sesame Street (2001, I think). [paraphrazed but basically] "Performing Bert with Jim was like playing jazz riffs. Everybody remembers the voices (Bert, Grover, Piggy, Fozzie, Yoda...), but what people don't realize - and this is the hard part - (we/I) create the character first and the voice naturally will follow."

So, if you don't feel comfortable by starting with sketching. Think about (The Message...) you want your puppet to get accross to others? What is the character like? Personality, size, species, shape, color, texture and a whole host of other things should derive from asking that initial question over and over.

I actually derived a list that I can go through every time I get stuck while in the design process of a new puppet. When I think about those sorts of things, ideas just form in my mind and sketches eventually appear. The tough part is we're human and sometimes these ideas don't form as quickly as we'd like. However, they do eventually show up!!!!

Don't be afraid to make mistakes! Making puppets is just a fun thing, so the important thing becomes trying, and trying again.

It's a never-ending process. More than likely, you'll find yourself developing a real appreciation for art, all different kinds and it will infuse itself into your puppets.

Food for thought: Search the web for: "the color wheel" and "color theory".

Good Building!