Five Children and It Official Release

Psammeadboi

Reaction score
Five Children and It, the Jim Henson Co. movie based off the book by E. Nesbitt has been officially released today July 5, 2005. FYE and Saturday Matinee Stores are carrying it. Wal-mart, however, has a habit of releasing things early (which they can get in big trouble for).

I have watched it, and I love it. The creature shop effects are awesome and the story is wonderful. Kenneth Branagh and Zoe Wannamaker from the Harry Potter films play wonderfully batty, absent-minded characters. Freddie Highmore (star of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) plays the main character, Robert. A wonderful little actor. Comedian Eddie Izzard is the voice of It, aka the Psammead. A fiesty little thing thats is as sharp as a tack with comebacks and oneliners.

I've read the book and was very pleased with the outcome of the film. The wishes are intact and the added characters help make this a fully rounded film. I recommend this film to any henson fan and/or fans of a fun movie with a moving storyline.

Enjoy!!!!

(Oh yes, and stick through the end credits!)

DannyRWW

Reaction score
This seemed to come out under the radar. Oddly enough it comes with a ticket to the charlie and the chocolate factory atrocity. For what its worth though your review above makes it sound good so I might check it out.

luvtosr

Reaction score
Does anyone know if they are going to make the sequel The Phoenix and the Carpet ? I'd quite like to see it done.

Mario

Reaction score
So this movie is pretty new if it has Freddie Highmore in it. Did it come to theatres? I haven't heard anything about it. But, seeing that it has Freddie in it, and Eddie and its a Henson and the fun name, I'm definitely going to be seeing this one.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Well I rented the movie at blockbuster and my biggest disapointment is that I didn't buy it instead. It was a fun, imaginative family film. None of the toilet humor you get in films geared towards children these days. In fact it certainly seemd to be in the spirit of Jim Henson: sophisticated story telling that I felt adults and children could appreciate. It's a shame that this film did not seem to get a wide release in theatres (or maybe I missed it). I'm going to go look for the book though, perhaps a good one to use for a children's literature class? I certainly enjoyed the story in film form.

Mario

Reaction score
Great! I'm part of a movie club where theres a new movie to watch each week, I'll have to recommend this one.

Psammeadboi

Reaction score
Original Info

This film was only released in the UK. Therefore, American audiences have no idea what it actually is, lol. Being a fan of the book and The Jim Henson Co. I happened to stumble across this film.
I tried many times to contact the production companies about a US release to no avail. But, thanks to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the movie was released. I believe Five Children and It was Freddie Highmore's first mainstream film, even before Finding Neverland.
So, spread the word about this wonderful film. It's pure fun and intellect!