Five Favorite Characters

SSLFan

Reaction score
Who are your favorite characters on Sesame Street? Like, if you were counting them down from 5 to 1, who would they be? Here are mine:

5. Telly Monster: Ya know I had never really noticed that Telly wasn't popular with today's audience. It's funny since I'm quite fond of Telly. One characteristic we both share is we're both worrywarts(of course,I don't worry as much as Telly, lol.). I remember having a Telly plush, and it seems very rare to find one of those! Telly is one of Sesame's most underrated characters, and is one of the greastest to ever come out of the "new generartion" of muppets.He should really be appreciated alot more. Love ya Telly!

4. Zoe: Okay, she's not a classic muppet, but she is very fun to watch. I've heard people refer to her as "girl Elmo" (?), but to me she is just simply Zoe. She has the most awsome personality, and the funniest laugh. I must admit, I peferred her better without her tutu, but it gives her a nice 'girly-girl' look. Unlike her male counterpart, Zoe is very much tolerable, and is another reason why she is one of my favorites.

3. Bert and Ernie: Okay, first off, my favorite of all E&B sketch would be the Eygptian pyramid one. You know, the one with the dancing statue that looks just like Ernie? And secondly, who doesn't enjoy this famous Sesame duo who has entertained us for more than 40 years? Hopefully their new skit can put them back into the spotlight. *crosses fingers*

2. Elmo: Surprised? As much as I have bashed Elmo and complained how he has been hogging the show, he is a childhood favorite. I remember when I was little, everytime I saw something with Elmo on it(mostly videos), I would yell and scream until I got it. I even remember when going to a SSL show(Elmo's Coloring Book to be exact), I bought EVERYTHING with Elmo on it, including a bendable figurine, an Elmo flashlight, and even an Elmo T-Shirt. I guess however, since I''ve gotten older, I've grown away from Elmo, but never from Sesame Street completely(if that makes sense).It's like I like(d) Elmo, but hate what he's become(new annoying voice, clean fur, etc.) Although as much as I've hate what he's become, he's still one of my all time favorites.:embarrassed:

1.Big Bird: BIG BIRD! BIG BIRD! I LOVE YOU! "The Bird" is the best Sesame Street charcter(to me, anyways). He's just a big lovable, kind- hearted bird who has been on the street since day one. The one thing I love about Big Bird is he is the tallest of all of his friends which makes him very unique. He is also able to do things other muppets can't(roller skate, travel to other countries, etc.). He also has a great singing voice and isn't afraid to express his feelings. Although he isn't as popular as he used to be, :wisdom: will always be the true "star" of Sesame Street.

Well, that's my top five.What is yours?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
*wembles* ...I can't do just five! ! ...So I'll do ten. :halo:

10.) Elmo: Yes... I really do love the little red guy. He's cute, he's furry, he has a great singing voice... and he's got great PR. :stick_out_tongue: Elmo was a childhood favorite of mine--"Happy Tappin' With Elmo" was one of my favorite songs as a kid--and still is! Sure he's literally everywhere... but I don't blame Elmo or Kevin Clash. I have a huge amount of respect for both of them. I think Sesame Workshop dug themselves into a hole promoting Elmo so much and now they can't pull him back without an outbreak of small children yelling.

9.) Telly Monster: Yes. I love Telly. Who doesn't? He's so innocent and funny. Really funny. He's got such great timing with the human cast members (most notably Alan and Chris) and with all of the Muppets! He's great with Baby Bear, hilarious with Elmo, Zoe, or Rosita, and just awesome with everyone. I agree with SSL when he said that Telly is extremely underrated. It's just not fair. He's in nearly every episode and he gets hardly any exposure. I love Telly!

8.) The Count von Count: Do you know why I love the Count von Count? Because he loves to count! The Count ROCKS! I really want to see more of him. He's so much fun and is incredibly classic. He's also got one of the best musical talents on the Street. That, and he's the last character Jerry Nelson really comes back to provide a vocie for, which means a lot.

7.) Prairie Dawn: She is so FUNNY! Prairie is a snarky, thirty year old woman trapped in a seven year old's body and with a seven year old's patience. Nothing really ever seems to go right for her--but she never loses her chipper grin. I love Prairie with Cookie Monster presenting the Letter of the Day--oh, c'mon, I love Prairie in everything! She was absolutely hilarious in the new "Count on Sports" DVD. Rock on Prairie Dawn!

6.) Bert: Wonderful, wonderful character. He's so... odd yet thinks himself so normal. Bottlecaps, pigeons, and paperclips? C'mon Bert... I love him because he's such a nerd, and the "Which Sesame Street Character Are You?" quiz might say I'm Ernie, but a lot of times I feel a lot like Bert. Just completely run-over and needing my own little happy things to keep me going.

5.) Ernie: Yes... I might be biased towards Ernie because I've been compared to him... but I don't care. I LOVE that cheeky orange Muppet! He's so funny and mischevious! And it may seem that he doesn't care how far he pushes Bert but... he never pushes him too far, which is what makes Ernie shine. Oh and "I Don't Want to Live On the Moon" is one of my all-time favorite songs.

4.) Cookie Monster: Who doesn't love this furry blue thing? Ravenous, raucous, and rumbly... I love him. You just want to go give him a big hug (and hope he doesn't eat your shoes). I could care less if he's cut back on cookies recently (even though, honestly, he hasn't all that much) he's still the wonderful character I've known my whole life. Oh, and seeing him on The Colbert Report really made me love him even more.

3.) Oscar the Grouch: Don't say anything about me! Scram, will ya?

2.) Big Bird: I really think SSLFan said it all... and if he didn't Big Bird's song "Wonderful Me" surely will. I love him so much... he's the one Muppet I will always want to give a big hug to. He's the best thing to happen to television... ever. Big Bird rules. :wisdom:

1.) Grover: My personal favorite... the furry, blue, cute, adorable, sometimes-SU-per monster is just... well... he's an every-man (seriously). He does everything. Grover is the best.

AHaHaHa

Reaction score
5. Snuffleupagus. If I'd been watching in the 70's I probably would have been too freaked out (those eyes!), but as a kid I was really into dinosaurs and he was the closest thing to a wooly mammoth on tv.

4. Grover.
Two words:Super Grover. Bless his little cotton socks.

3. Cookie Monster. One of the things I really remember from my childhood are the Alistair Cookie skits. Fantastic.

2. Oscar The Grouch. 'Nuff said.

1. Count Von Count. He's a vampire (kind of) and purple and has a fine singing voice. I needed no other reason to love him as a child. And I haven't lost any of it as I've gotten old and grumpy. As bad as it is to admit it, I think he ruined me for men before I was even 5. "Do you have a) an accent, b) a cloak c) a monocle d) spontaneous thunder and lightening? Any of the above? No? Next please..." :wink: :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
5. The Big Bad Wolf - In his many different incarnations, this guy cracks me up! He's gone through several performers, but he's still always funny to me.

4. Oscar the Grouch - "I told you, leave me alone! SCRaM!" :grouchy: :smile:

3. Herry Monster - I miss him. He's gruff, but sweet. He's great!

2. Ernie - Ernie is such a great character. He's so much fun. I love how he teases Bert, and how he always has to play. He and Bert make a perfect team.

1. Grover - He's also one of my favorite overall Muppets. He tries so hard at everything, and he has to say and do everything just right... though he doesn't always. Who doesn't love Grover (and the many incarnations of Grover)?​

Honorable mention: Kermit the Frog. I didn't include him because his personality didn't reallu fully develop until The Muppet Show, and so I usually don't count him as a regular Sesame Street character. My overall favorite Muppet character.

Another honorable mention: Captain Vegetable. Just a great Jim Henson (and later, Richard Hunt) character that cracks me up!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I remember when I was little, everytime I saw something with Elmo on it(mostly videos), I would yell and scream until I got it.
Okay! That's funny to me!:big_grin:

Big Bird: Gotta love that guy! Always a laugh riot! Love how he drives the humans crazy but without being unlikable and he is smart(alec) in all the right places.

Oscar: But do I love this guy. He just says what on his mind and doesn't care when anyone thinks of it, heh!

Bert: I just love that he is who is and doesn't let anyone change that about him! And he has a sharp mind!

Coooookie Monster: He knows who he is, he knows what he wants and he goes for it and he doesn't let anything stand in his way so look out!

Grover: My favorite but it's a tie up with him and cookie to me but I had to choose one of them! I love his determination! Too me Grover is the best of all things Sesame and is one of those characters that really defines what sesame Street is all about! But what I really love about him is that he keeps trying and never gives up! He's super!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My Top Sesame Street 5

First off, Kermit is a free-agent so he’s out of the running for my count.

1. Ernie has always made me laugh. I see him as Jim’s major contribution to Sesame Street and he will always be my favorite character on the program. Who else could pop off a friend’s nose and get away with it while exhaling his trademark laugh? Poor Bert. :stick_out_tongue:

2. Oscar the Grouch seemed the most magical character to me as a kid. His trashcan is like an endless portal to other worlds. I was hoping to see him explore them in the Grouchland movie, but that mugging monster ruined it for me. We all can have a Grouch temperament at times, but there is a marked innocence underneath. I take that lesson with me when meeting a grumpy grouch in everyday life. He's also a father figure to Slimey - the first worm in space!

3. Cookie is the king of the monsters as far as I’m concerned. I always find his direct approach refreshing. I’m still not pleased with exactly how SW is handling the whole veggie thing.

4. Big Bird is a given. He was the ringleader in my day and still is in my heart. I also liked Little Bird in juxtaposition with him. There’s just something about the visual and performance of this big yellow bird. I think the sight of him is what jumpstarted Sesame’s success in the first place. :wisdom:

5. :search: Last I have a three-way tie. Don’t ask me to choose ‘cause I won’t.
I have always loved Herry's gruff look and voice and sweet demeanor.
I can connect with Telly Monster's worrisome nature and neurosis of blowing a small incident out of proportion.
Sherlock Hemlock made the most mundane case seem fascinating. He reminds me so much of my childhood.

Beaker <3

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to try:

5. Stinky the Stinkweed - I haven't seen him on any recent episodes! Does anyone else remember Stinky? I loved Stinky, for a plant I thought he was especially cute and funny.

4. Cookie Monster - Ok, while not my absolute favorite, I still appreciate Cookie. I love how his eyes move, and Cookie always seems to have his heart in the right place, which is cool. And when he did the letter of the day segment and ate a violin, I almost died inside, because even though it was prop, I play violin and I know how much work goes into making actual violins!

3. Grover - Sometimes I just want to find the little monster and give him a big hug. Grover is very cute both looks and personality-wise, and I just love to see Super Grover every once and a while.

2. Bert - I love Bert! He's a serious Muppet, which is pretty nifty, and he collects things, which is also nifty. He adds a lot to the show for me, and he makes sketches with Ernie even better.

1. Ernie - Ernie has been my absolute favorite Sesame Street muppet for as long as I can remember. I don't even know why I loved him so much in the first place. It's one of those unexplainable things, you know? But I love his hair, and the duckie, and I love that he's a messy Muppet, because I'm messy, too.

*Note - If Elmo's World didn't exist, I think Elmo might have made my top 5, but Elmo's World kind of ruined the character for me.