1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Floyd "in joke"!

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by muppetperson, Jul 19, 2012.

1. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Just found out why Floyd is pink.It is a reference to classic band "Pink Floyd"!
    I wonder if Zoot is Blue as a reference to "the Blues"? And isnt Dr Teeth based on Elton John?
  2. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

I don't think Dr. Teeth was based off Elton John.......I thought he was based off someone else. I can't remember who though.
  3. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

You're right.I searched it and he is based on Dr John, who ever he is!
  4. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I thought Dr. Teeth was more based on Dr. John than Elton John, Dr. John being a popular keyboardist/singer from New Orleans who had the same sort of loquacious way of speaking and eccentric dress. But I definitely think some Elton John was thrown in there.
  5. Hartley

Hartley Member

Watch film of Dr John from the 70s (such as his performance in The Band's fantastic concert film The Last Waltz) and you'll see that he is Dr Teeth :D

That never even occured to me about Floyd! Maybe I never noticed what colour he is cos most of his face is hidden behind that moustache!
  6. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

Actually, Floyd's name and outfit were both inspired by The Beatles' album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, hence his name Sgt. Floyd Pepper. The way he walks sometimes is based on R. Crumb. Zoot, I don't think he was based on anyone in particular , except that he is supposed to represent the burnt out musician in his 50s.
  7. DrDientes

DrDientes Active Member

Zoot is based in the Argentine saxophonist Gato Barbieri, according to Muppet Wiki.