Foam Question For The Pros

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I have used various types of foams for my work. The reticulated foam that I have acquired in the past is really rough and has extremely large pores in it, having similar qualities to a brillo pad, which I find extremely uncomfortable so I hate to use it. I've talked to several manufacturers who have reticulated foam available in different pore sizes/count... too many to choose from.

David Pannebecker used to obtain his foam from BestWay Foam Inc, but their site is currently under construction. If I remember correctly, the 3/4 inch sheet foam he was using wasn't "reticulated" but a ployurethain (forgive my spelling) which shouldn't be confused with the lesser quality poly foam Joann's fabric sells.

In my quest for the "perfect" foam, I've asked the opinion of manufacturers regarding the difference of reticulated versus other types of foam. They said that the only difference is that reticulated was for outdoor use for it's porus quality because it allows water to pass through. It just feels like crap. :smirk:

So, what is the pore size/count that you guys use and where do you get it? Is the texture rough like what I've been getting, or am I just a prissy wimp that thinks everything should be baby bottom soft? lol

After all, we're putting our hands in there! :wink:

Thanks for the help,
-Michele

PS: I've also been told that reticulated foam doesn't break down any slower than polyurethane foam. So who am I supposed to beleive, the pros who make it or the pros who use it? *laughing*

PPS: In the inventory I received from purchasing supplies in bulk from a builder that went out of business was a huge bolt/roll of Nasa Foam, which is what she used for her puppets. It's much lighter than the polyurethane foam and seems to have a sort of water resistant layer on it. Anyone know what this is or how it's different from any other type of foam.... better, worse, etc? I really like it.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think what I've generally used is 35 ppi too and I think that is what's most commonly available. The holes are still somewhat large at that size and the texture can be a little rough. The tradeoff between the number of pores per inch is that the higher the ppi number the less the foam weighs. You could probably find foam with fewer pores per inch, but the puppet is going to weigh a little more and may not "breathe" as well.

I believe that the term "NASA Foam" refers to Visco Elastic Foam, which is commonly used to make pillows and mattresses. It's a memory foam developed by NASA that retains it's shape very well.

intozlight

Reaction score
Reticulated foam has a much better stretch vs break point than most foams. Most foams are designed to be fillers not structural support. They are not meant to take the kind of stresses that we put on puppets.
I believe the puppet builders have found that reticulated foam is the most durable/forgiving/workable foam type for what we do. It is light weight and breathes well to. Higher density foam gets much hotter during a performance (I know).
You can always put in a liner as well if it is rough on your hands. Hope this is some help.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Well lucky me, there is a local supplier that has reticulated and many other kinds of foam! :excited: I took a trip down to their warehouse today and got to check out all the varieties available. I didn't try every single type of foam they had, just the types that looked durable and compareable to the reticulated (without the rough texture).

Regarding the breaking points..... several of the foams that I looked at (including the reticulated) all broke apart with about the same force of pull aplied to them except for the 1/2 inch Nasa type foam I acquired from that inventory purchase. They didn't have anything like that kind of foam in stock but they are looking to see if they can get it and exactly what it's properties are.

The only thing is, the Nasa type foam doesn't stretch as easily as the other foams and I'm thinking this isn't good for easy mouth movement. I'm thinking maybe I'll just use this foam for the bodies of my ventrioquist figures. I've got an entire bolt of this stuff and would like to put it to good use. *laughing*

-Michele