foam questions

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i made a foam puppet. the thing is, no foam body. i just got two button up shirts glued em 2gether and stuffed em with poly-fill and he doesnt look good. I pulled it off. The thing is I know i can make a foam body but i dont wanna use too much foam on one puppet. what should i do? and if theres a way to make a body without the

i have a big piece of foam thats about 6 inches high, 3 feet wide, and 10 feet long. how many puppets can i make with that? i plan on making about 5 or 6. is that too much? can i make more? if i do make 5 or 6 should i make a foam body? HELP!!!!

BorkBork

Reaction score
you should try and find half inch thick foam, that works best for puppets. Make the body as you would make a head with 2 flat pieces and some darts here and there. It doesn't take much foam for a body like that :cool:

pdbooch

Reaction score
Hey PunkNPuppets,
You could also make tube shapped bodies
for your puppets. I'd have to see the head though to get
a better idea of what type of body your after. Did you
post any pix of the head yet? Is this the puppet head you used
spray paint on from a couple posts ago?

You could get the 1/2 inch thick foam, that BorkBork mentions, from a local fabric store, such as Joann's.

Have you picked up "The Foam Book" yet? There are some good ideas
in it for us beginners! Check out my webpage below to see what I've
done puppet-wise. Some of the solutions came from that very book.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by pdbooch
Hey PunkNPuppets,
You could also make tube shapped bodies
for your puppets. I'd have to see the head though to get
a better idea of what type of body your after. Did you
post any pix of the head yet? Is this the puppet head you used
spray paint on from a couple posts ago?
http://members.aol.com/mstrcrowley666/images/washington02.jpg

no not spray paint, paint brushed. then i brushed Modge Podge on it.

upwithkids

Reaction score
You may be able to take your foam to a foam fabricator and have them cut it down to 1/2" thick sheets for you. You could check with an upholsterer to find one in your area.

Good luck...

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
good luck??!?!?!?! i didn't even understand what they said....

you'll need it!

Sarah

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
heres how i made that puppet -
I took a block of foam, not the big one, a smaller one, cut it in half with the electric turkey knife, then i put one on top of the other. then i had to make it sorta smaller. THEN i shaped the block into the shape i wanted with the electric turkey knife. and i think my technique works.

but if i use a 1/2 inch pice, do i have to stuff it with cotton or something?

bernie

Reaction score
that all depends....

if you make a tube out of the 1/2 " thick foam, it gives you a "sleeve" to put your hand up in to work the puppet's mouth. the foam itself should give you enough substance to make the puppet's body without stuffing inside-- just put clothes on top.

i have also made a body out of plastic canvas (the stuff they use for needlepoint) and then covered that with quilt batting and clothes. plastic canvas is easy to cut and sew together with some yarn and gives you a pretty rigid structure. it's also light weight, which was a big deal for the puppets i made.

good luck. :smile:

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
I got it figured out my destination!!!! i did some measuring on the foam today and i figured that by using my technique i'll be able to build 10 puppets. well, ABOUT 10 puppet heads. I'm gonna make all the heads first, then after i do so i'll make the bodies. For the rest of the puppets i'll use my other technique. u take 2 layers of felt for the puppet and stuff cotton stuffing between them (then do all the sewing or glue gunning or whatever it is) that's how i made Phil. (http://members.aol.com/mstrcrowley666/images/dsc_010.jpg, http://members.aol.com/mstrcrowley666/images/dsc_018.jpg) The thing is it u really cant determine what shape u want the head 2 b. They usually turn out kinda square or, umm, the square like shape thats like rounded, Ex- the head on this guy http://members.aol.com/mstrcrowley666/images/dave.jpg that puppet will be made with my Felt & Cotton (F&C, as i call it) technique.

pdbooch

Reaction score
hey punkNpuppets,
Just a question/suggestion: Are you using actual cotton or polyfiber stuffing? The polyfiber won't "lump up" and crumble as much as the cotton might, plus it will be a bit lighter weight when performing.

Are you planning on making all the bodies pretty much the same? I'd suggest doing the bodies first, since when sculpting (and that is what puppet building is) its better start from the base and work your way up. I know its a chore (believe me I know.) When I'm making a puppet head first I tend to loose steam by the time I get to the body, but maybe that's just me.

Hope I dont' sound like a "know-it-all"

Sheesh, I'd hate that

By the way, I love the "square" shaped head thing you got going on with your characters! It reminds me of Tim Burton rather than Don Sahlin/Jim Henson stuff.
Actually, phil reminds me a lot of Invader Zim!
Very Cool