Foam Wholesalers?

Phantom

Reaction score
I'm looking for some wholesale foam suppliers and I would appreciate any points in the right direction. Googling, I've found Reilly Foam Corp who has SIF and we use an upholstery foam where I work from Foamex.

Foamex has 6' X 100' roll or 3/4" upholstery foam for $450 (thats about $1 per linear foot). Buying it by the sheet is about double unless its on sale.

I know these are just few of many, so please list some if possible. Thanks.

edit: I've been using 1" foam for the last few years because it's "beefier" 1/2". I was wondering what the foam of choice for you all. Thanks.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I use whatever I need: 1/2, 1", 2", 4"...

My 4" foam I get by riding around late at night and find old couches by the road, then I take the cushions off it and go home, rip the material from around the cushions, and I have a big ol' block of 4" foam!! (Late at night, because it's kinda embarassing to let folks see you rummaging through trash.

Found a good slice of pizza that way...

j/k).

Ryan

Reaction score
Phantom said:
I'm looking for some wholesale foam suppliers and I would appreciate any points in the right direction. Googling, I've found Reilly Foam Corp who has SIF and we use an upholstery foam where I work from Foamex.

Foamex has 6' X 100' roll or 3/4" upholstery foam for $450 (thats about $1 per linear foot). Buying it by the sheet is about double unless its on sale.

I know these are just few of many, so please list some if possible. Thanks.

edit: I've been using 1" foam for the last few years because it's "beefier" 1/2". I was wondering what the foam of choice for you all. Thanks.

Thickness varies on puppet size. For my smaller puppets with flexible mouths, I make sure I use 1/2 inch. I use 1 inch foam for my larger puppets with rigid mouths (Karen Before , Karen after , Murky's head is also 1 inch )

1 inch makes your puppets heavier and bulkier. If you want to make a less expressive character, go for 1 inch. If you want some flexibility to your puppet, try 1/2 inch.

Also, another note: I've been told by someone who works for Henson and other building companies that the mint green high-density foam is the best, even outranking scott foam. I've been told it lasts longer and glues better, which seems to be the case each time I use it.

Phantom

Reaction score
The mint green stuff is what I've been using for the past year. It seems pretty durable.

My puppets are usually ridgid mouth 18-24" half-body and the 1" gives me the feel that I want. I do use the 1/2" on smaller designs. I was just curious. I like what I do...so...

I can just see Kev dumpster diving with Muley. "Oh look! A taco..."

Anyone with a foam supplier? Anyone?

Oh, yeah. Nice puppets, Ryan.

The Foamex is the mint green stuff.