Follow That Bird: A look back

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
This was one fun little childrens movie I liked watching. It was great to see the characters on Sesame Street get their own movie. I also liked that everybody went to go searching for Big Bird. That really showed that these people were Big Bird's "family."

I also liked the songs in the movie and have several on them on a few cds with other songs I listen to when I go running. I think I'm going to have to rent this movie again.

ryan

DerekJ

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
This was one fun little childrens movie I liked watching. It was great to see the characters on Sesame Street get their own movie. I also liked that everybody went to go searching for Big Bird. That really showed that these people were Big Bird's "family."
What struck me was that Ken Kwapis's direction seemed like a "truer" sequel to James Frawley on the first "Muppet Movie" than Henson could manage with "Caper" or Oz with "Manhattan"--
The "traveling" plot, the wide open Midwest countrysides, the celebrity cameos who didn't look embarrassed about going along with the gag, and, like TMM, an alternate universe where Muppet-logic was normal daily life.

That, and its nostalgic look back at an 80's pre-Elmo SS, when the street and characters still mattered, and Snuffy was still "imaginary"...

(And always suspected there was something genetically Grouch about Sandra Bernhard in the first place...) :grouchy:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That, and its nostalgic look back at an 80's pre-Elmo SS, when the street and characters still mattered, and Snuffy was still "imaginary"...
Actually, I believe by the time the movie was made, Snuffy was visible (though I'm not positive. I'm pretty sure the movie was made in 1985 and I thought Snuffy became visible by 1985...)
And to be fair, Elmo has been around on Sesame Street since at least the late 1980s. I think he's been there possibly as early as the late 70s or early 80s, but again, I might be wrong on that. Of course, in any case, he was only a minor background character who's only in recent years become the breakout star.
(Much like the fate of other TV shows, like that minor character Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli on Happy Days or Steven Quincy Urkel on Family Matters! :zany: :crazy: :smile: )

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Snuffy in FTB either. I think he was still 'invisible' at the time. (Remember movies are usually filmed ahead of time before they are released in theaters) He didn't really interact with anybody since he was watching Big Bird's nest, so I don't know. I do remember a scene where Big Bird was out hiking and he saw a Snuffy that really was imaginary. About Elmo, I think he made a brief appearance at the end. I believe it was Richard's Elmo.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I remember seeing Elmo at the end and and looked out of a window when Big Bird came back. The movie itself is great due to the fact Elmo wasn't even a star, not even a small star with a few lines here and there. I liked seeing a lot of the older characters that aren't shown that much anymore.

ryan

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I recently bought this movie on DVD and was instantly transported back to my childhood watching it. It was great to see some of the adult characters who have since left the street such as Olivia and Linda (I don't think she's around much anymore, is she? Correct me if I'm wrong). I remember when I was little, I used to cry when Snuffy and Big Bird said goodbye to each other. I also agree that it is very much like TMM in style. Anyway, it's a classic and I'm glad I'll be able to enjoy it for years to come.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I'm not sure about Snuffy in FTB either. I think he was still 'invisible' at the time. (Remember movies are usually filmed ahead of time before they are released in theaters) He didn't really interact with anybody since he was watching Big Bird's nest, so I don't know. I do remember a scene where Big Bird was out hiking and he saw a Snuffy that really was imaginary. About Elmo, I think he made a brief appearance at the end. I believe it was Richard's Elmo.

For the record, FTB was filmed in 1984, but released the following summer.

Snuffy didn't appear until 1985.

So this is pre-visible Snuffy.

Censored

Reaction score
Also, Snuffy was always visible; the adult humans just never looked in the right places when he was around.

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
It's strange when you compare the 2 movies. The first one Elmo only makes a brief background appearance at the end, and in the second one he is the STAR of the entire movie. Boy how time changes things.

Xerus

Reaction score
I noticed in that movie, the adults didn't bring up the subject, "Imaginary friend", at all. Mainly because this was an emotional time for Big Bird and he didn't need the unseen Snuffy angst right now.