Follow That Bird Discussion Thread

FutureMuppeteer

Reaction score
I will try and speak with him when he gets back to work...the college teachers up here in ontario are currently on strike. so, I will try and ask him.

as for what he did on the movie, I believe he was a behind the cameras guy...he teaches Techinical Operations (how things like the cameras, lighting grids, audio boards work)

He has a giant picture in his office taken on the set of "Follow That Bird" hanging on the wall. I am not sure if Jim Henson is in the pic or not. I will have to look at it more carefully when I get back to school.

P.S. he also worked on Fraggle Rock....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
FutureMuppeteer said:
as for what he did on the movie, I believe he was a behind the cameras guy...he teaches Techinical Operations (how things like the cameras, lighting grids, audio boards work)
Maybe he knows how much time Jim Henson and Frank Oz actually spent on the set, and maybe he knows about some significant deleted scenes from the movie.

FutureMuppeteer

Reaction score
he might be able to tell some stories about them too...like I said, I will try and ask him about it.

AAO

Reaction score
You know, I realized, for this being the first Sesame Street movie, Ernie and Bert were hardly in it...I know Big Bird was the main character in the film, thus the name "Follow That Bird" ... but when Sesame Street started and this movie was released during its 16th season summer hiatus in August - which means Sesame Street was still at the beginning of its game...Anyway, Ernie and Bert were still very popular...i just wished that there could've been more of Ernie and Bert...Big Bird's my favorite Muppet - but it would have been more awesome with that..oh and to the guy that knows the teacher who worked on the movie.....that's awesoome! yeah try to get some info from him..

BEAR

Reaction score
AAO said:
You know, I realized, for this being the first Sesame Street movie, Ernie and Bert were hardly in it...I know Big Bird was the main character in the film, thus the name "Follow That Bird" ... but when Sesame Street started and this movie was released during its 16th season summer hiatus in August - which means Sesame Street was still at the beginning of its game...Anyway, Ernie and Bert were still very popular...i just wished that there could've been more of Ernie and Bert...Big Bird's my favorite Muppet - but it would have been more awesome with that..oh and to the guy that knows the teacher who worked on the movie.....that's awesoome! yeah try to get some info from him..

They were in it a lot actually. Okay, so maybe not as much screen time as Oscar or Cookie Monster, but at least B & E got featured in their own musical number. That's a lot!

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I think the Lack of Ernie and Bert had a lot to do with Jim Henson's Limited amount of time that he had to spend on this movie. Keep in mind at this time he had a lot of other projects going on, and was only able to tape a few scenes for this movie. I think even a few of his lines were dubbed, like the parking lot scene were you can briefly see Ernie and Bert sitting in the back of Oscar's Sloppy Jalopy and Ernie is telling Oscar how Bert lost Big Bird.

TDY

Reaction score
Wow - I haven't seen this movie in so long, which is why I'm gonna buy it today!

I loved this film! The scene with Ms. Finch in the beginning was really funny - "Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?" - and the scene with Bert and Ernie in the plane was fun, too. The movie's plot was wonderful, the music was awesome, and the acting was superb! Follow That Bird is one of the few good children's movies out there (which also includes Don't Eat the Pictures!)

"Big Dodo!?" - Big Bird

" . . . to a place called Sesane Street" - news caster
"Sesane Street . . . ?" - grover
"Sesame Street. Sorry" - news caster

FutureMuppeteer

Reaction score
Ok folks...

school is back on...

I have asked my teacher who worked on "Follow That Bird" for an interview...and he agreed. so, please post some questions that you will want to know and I will do my best to get them to him.

His name is Kevin Donoghue and he was Video Co-ordiator (sp)

go ahead and check the credits...he is there.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
FutureMuppeteer said:
I have asked my teacher who worked on "Follow That Bird" for an interview...and he agreed. so, please post some questions that you will want to know and I will do my best to get them to him.

His name is Kevin Donoghue and he was Video Co-ordiator (sp)
Here are some things I'd like to know:

*Who played the mailman who delivered Snuffy's post card to Big Bird?
*Were there any deleted scenes that your teacher remembers?
*does your teacher know of any major changes between the original script and finished film?
*what was it like working on the film?
*How often were Jim Henson and Frank Oz available to actually perform as opposed to just dubbing voices?
*How were Miss Finch and the Dodo's performed?
*Was there any limit in the availability for Lorretta Long, Bob McGraph, and Emillio Degardo?
*What was it like working with Dave Thomas and Joe Flaherty? Were they purposely hired to play The Sleaze brothers because they had previously worked together on SCTV, or was their pairing a coincidence?
*How often were Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt available to work in the movie?

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
*Was there any limit in the availability for Lorretta Long, Bob McGraph, and Emillio Degardo?

Sorry, I think you meant Bob McGrath and Emilio Delgado.