Follow that Bird vs. The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland

muppetfan89

Reaction score
Which film is better? My vote goes to Follow that Bird, becuase it has a very good format just like pervous Muppet films, and was perfect for both kids and adults. Elmo in Grouchlnad, was Ok, but just a little too cute/childish. Basically, I don't think adults would enjoy it as much as kids. Your thoughts?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't vote right away, because I haven't seen "Groundland." However, at the moment I would speculate that "Follow that Bird" is probably the superior film. It was a well crafted story with genuine emotions and taken very seriously. It didn't shy away from mature topics and assume kids "wouldn't understand." Instead, it challenged and helped kids to understand.

Kids are not benefitting from children's entertainment that talks down to them and keeps them in a little bubble. Based on my observations, I think they are growing up not knowing about the rest of the world and not caring either.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I say both, since I love both Big Bird and Elmo!:wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
AS I oft said, compairing FTB to EIG is like comparing The Empire Strikes back to Revenge of the Sith (It used to be Attack of the Clones, but I said that before that one came out). They are both great movies IMO, but the older one is better for multiple reasons.

I once posted a review of EIG somewhere. Basically it said, "this is what I want to see out of Elmo." Not Elmo's world. not Elmo talking to random celebrities. Elmo being Elmo, having a lot of character developement. We see Elmo's refusal to share (insert obvious reference to Elmo's World and 90's-current SS) which led him to a downward spiral. he had something, and in his refusal to share it, he almost lost it.

And we had quite a few cameos by all of our favorite characters (sans Kermit, unfortunately). And Big Bird, Oscar and Telly got in on the plot, allong with Maria and Gordon. So it was much more than an "Elmo" movie to me. Plus, seeing Dave Golez play a Sesame Street character is always a pleasure.

But I have fonder memories of FTB, and still have the original single 45 release promotion from seeing it in theaters. Both movies I just loved, and I find it sad they don't do any more Sesame Films like this anymore. Even a DTV one.

You should see how lush and beautiful the street looks in compairison to the televised set. I wish they were able to keep that set and use it on SS. It looked like the big busy street it was meant to be.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I say definetly Follow That Bird.
Better scenery.
More of the SS characters were involved in the story.(Gordon and Maria were the only two SS humans involved in The Adventures of Elmo In Grouchland's storyline.)
Plus Kermit appears in Follow That Bird.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Elmo says Elmo needs a break!

Follow that Bird. I found it to be a rather emotional film about what makes a family and finding one's place in the world. Elmo in Grouchland is what every other Elmo project is about - Elmo. The red guy is okay, but I'm just tired of Elmo-ego-centered projects. :frown:

Follow that Bird is a well crafted story, Elmo in Grouchland was more of a photo-op with him mugging the camera. And was anyone else upset that Oscar was barely in a project set in Grouchland? :grouchy:

This year’s ABC special, “Elmo's Christmas Countdown”, bears only Elmo’s name. I wish SW would strengthen the brand name of Sesame Street when these opportunities came up. I had my favorite characters as a kid, but I really loved them all. Still do. There's even a place in my heart for Elmo...just not in the center. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Follow that Bird. I found it to be a rather emotional film about what makes a family and finding one's place in the world. Elmo in Grouchland is what every other Elmo project is about - Elmo. The red guy is okay, but I'm just tired of Elmo-ego-centered projects. :frown:

Follow that Bird is a well crafted story, Elmo in Grouchland was more of a photo-op with him mugging the camera. And was anyone else upset that Oscar was barely in a project set in Grouchland? :grouchy:
Well, that's the only true problem with it. it's still an enjoyable film, but it just isn't a classic like FTB for those reason. I feel at least it gave us a chance to see Elmo explore his character and not just be ...well...what he is in EW. EIG was one of the first of many Elmo-centric ventures, and definately the most major of them. I think there could have been more to the film, and there just wasn't. After hearing what happened with MFS, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony wanted SW to do a lot to the film that wasn't originally planned.

it really is a shame they just couldn't make a film like FTB or even close as it was now. But for what it is, i found it surprisingly enjoyable.

mrsieve

Reaction score
I say definetly Follow That Bird.
Better scenery.
Thats because one of the 'Follow That Bird' filming locations (Bolton) is close to where I live :wink:.

FYI, The other location was Georgetown.