Forgotten Christmas Specials

Censored

Reaction score
Most people are familiar with the regularly featured Christmas specials, many by Rankin and Bass, such as "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" and "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer." However, some may not know that there was an earlier cartoon version of "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" for theatrical release in 1948 by the Fleischer brothers (the people who gave us Betty Boop and early Popeye cartoons). In a book about Fleischer, it states that it was shown every year until it was "replaced by another (and lesser) version." That seemed to be an obvious jab and the Rankin and Bass production. Well, I just saw the Fleischer version today and I think it's great, but I don't think it's better than the famous Rankin and Bass film from 1964. For one thing, the Rankin and Bass film was longer with more story and context; also it had musical numbers throughout the film. The Fleischer version was a standard short cartoon with only the classic Rudolph song in the beginning and end. Having said that, the Fleischer Rudolph is absolutely heartwarming, well done, and definitely something you should watch if you get the opportunity. In this one, Rudolph and his parents are just an average family (who happen to be reindeer) waiting for Santa to deliver presents on Christmas Eve. When Santa sees him, he asks him to guide the sleigh and the rest is history. One possible problem with showing both Christmas films on TV to kids during the holiday season is that they contradict one another. Still, imagine a special where two kids are debating the true story of Rudolph, one telling the Fleischer version and the other telling the Rankin and Bass one. Anything is possible artistically if you really want to do it.

Another forgotten Christmas special is actually a Rankin and Bass production itself. It's called "Nester, The Long Eared Donkey." The story is about a donkey with particularly long ears, who gets made fun of and shunned by others. Although the theme was obviously borrowed from Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, this film definitely stands on its own. How good is it? Well, I'll put it this way, most Christmas specials I rent or tape from television. This one I bought brand new from the store. It is the most delightful and inspiring Christmas special I've ever seen and it has all of the music and charm that is expected of Rankin and Bass. There are a couple of reasons why it might not be shown very much. For one thing, unlike the more secular counterparts, this Christmas special is clearly religious and Christian based. Secondly, there are some bittersweet moments such as one of the lovable characters dying, other animals being taken away to an uncertain fate, and some cruel human characters. Yet, within the context of the special, it all works beautifully and it has the most satisfying and heartwarming ending.

Great stuff. :smile:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Many people dont know "The Year Without A Santa Clause" but it's most famous for the Heat Miser song, love it.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I sware to god that it said "Favorite Christmas Specials" then I edited it, so yeah... :smile:

Censored

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
Many people dont know "The Year Without A Santa Clause" but it's most famous for the Heat Miser song, love it.
Yeah, "Year Without A Santa Claus" may have become somewhat obscure too, but it's probably better remembered than the two specials that I previously named. It was actually both the Snow Miser and the Heat Miser who stole the show with their catchy songs. Ironic that they were both relatively minor characters in the story who have now become the best remembered. It is one of my favorite holiday specials.

Here in New Orleans, I live in the territory of the Heat Miser. The Snow Miser must have made some kind of deal with him though because last year it snowed in New Orleans on Christmas day! Very unusual. But, I think the Heat Miser got the last word this time when he gave us Hurricane Katrina eight months later. :eek:

G-MAN

Reaction score
Another sort of obscure one I think is The Little Drummer Boy, which I still have yet to see.