Fraggle fic: The Minstrel's Path

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, finished reading. Loved it all and how it was presented. It's really interesting to see how Cantus weaves everyone around the events that are about to take place so they take place.
Thanks for posting.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I definitely agree with the Count on how cool it is to see Cantus bring everyone into the events so they can happen. He really does have a knack for keeping an open mind and communicating with people different from him. Thanks for sharing!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. That's the reason I've included these segments in the fic, even though they're more than half transcript: to show what's going on with cantus, what he's actually doing and why. And with whose help, heh heh.

Four down, one to go, and then I can start posting original fic again!

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'm just a posting fool! Everybody knows it! Although they usually leave out the "posting" part.

The Minstrel's Path
Part 25
by Kim McFarland

It was a dark and stormy night, but that was elsewhere in the world. Here, in the Gorgs' garden, it was a pleasant spring morning.

The Minstrels surfaced and listened. Junior Gorg was in the garden, tilling the soil with a rakelike harrow in preparation for planting. He was facing away from them. They went around the garden wall quietly and quickly, before he turned and spotted them. Before they reached their destination Cantus paused and unthreaded his Magic Pipe from his backpack. He glanced at the others. They understood; he wanted to make a proper entrance. They readied their instruments.

Junior Gorg looked up when he heard the soft tune. Fraggle music. He had been hearing it more and more lately. He glanced around. The Fraggles were nowhere to be seen. Oh well. It was still peasant to know that they were somewhere nearby.

The Minstrels walked to the Trash Heap, playing their tune. Philo and Gunge forebore to interrupt with their usual introductory patter; Marjory liked their music, and, well, it was nice to listen to. Marjory rose and regarded them. When they finished playing Cantus declared, "I am in the presence of the wise Trash Heap. "

Philo and Gunge looked at each other. Indignantly Gunge said, "Hey, you're steppin' on our lines."

"Never mind that," Marjory said. Addressing the Minstrels, she said, "Where have you been?"

Cantus told her, "We have been traveling the Rock, uniting it with music."

"You should have been here! Such wonderful things have happened, I can't begin to tell you! Junior Gorg was crowned King."

That soon? "Is he a good king?"

She chuckled. "He is no king at all. He abolished the monarchy, saying that the world was fine as it is and doesn't need to be ruled. He threw away his crown. In front of five Fraggle witnesses."

Cantus digested that quietly. From what he had seen, the Gorgs had been clinging to the empty trappings of power for generations. Both he and the Marjory had seen the possibility of change in Junior. Neither would have imagined that he would break with Gorgic tradition completely. Cantus said, "What led him to do this?"

She answered, "He ate a magical Nirvana Tree leaf. It shrank him to your size, and for a little while he walked in the footsteps of a Fraggle. He made friends among the Fraggles, and he found out that they have names. Do you believe he never knew that? He had never realized that Fraggles are people! And he even came to me for advice." She sat back, very pleased.

Impressed, Cantus said, "There have been many changes since we were here last."

"And that's not all. The Fraggles had a singing contest, and a Fraggle sang with a Doozer. That was the first time a Doozer has ever joined in Fraggle events. By the end, everyone was singing together, even Junior. Oh, it was beautiful!"

"I wish I had been here," Cantus said quietly.

Murray looked at Cantus. These were the very things that Cantus had been working for all his life, unity among the different people of the world. At least part of it had been accomplished through song. And it had happened without him. He laid a hand on Cantus's back and whispered, "Boss?"

Cantus looked up. Murray asked, "You okay?"

Cantus smiled. "I am very okay. Murray, we may not have been there to see these wonders, but what matters is that they happened, and the world is a better place because of that. The lesson has been learned!"

"These lessons must not be forgotten," the Trash Heap said in a very serious tone.

"Yes," Cantus said, nodding thoughtfully.

Murray had thought that Cantus would be upset by the news that the Fraggles here had not needed him to teach them. He found out how wrong he was during their processional. Cantus's manner was euphoric, even a little giddy. It was all Murray could do to keep a straight face as he sang.

Cantus shouted, "Hail, Fraggles!"

In unison they called back, "Hail, Cantus!"

Mokey eagerly said, "Ooh, Fraggledom welcomes Cantus, our mystical Minstrel who travels the rock uniting us with music!"

"Yeah!" Red exclaimed.

Cantus raised a hand and said solemnly, "I stand welcomed."

Gobo and Wembley ran into the Great Hall. Gobo began, "Cantus! The most amazing thing just happened in Outer Space! Well, I went out there, and the Silly Creature couldn't see me!"

Cantus replied, "Outer Space is not my concern. But it is yours."

"Well, I know! So don't you think this is really great? You see-"

"Yes, and I do see, and so will you."

Gobo looked puzzled. Red burst in, "Cantus, do you have a great new song for us this time?"

"I do."

Boober moaned, "Oh, not another great new song. They're always so thrilling. I'm sure it's bad for the digestion."

Red had just given Cantus an idea. He announced for all to hear, "This great new song is even greater than our usual great new song. In fact, it is the greatest!" The assembled Fraggles exclaimed in wonder. "It is…The Song of Songs."

"How thrilling," Mokey breathed.

Boober muttered, "Bye-bye, digestion," and slouched away.

Gobo was not ready to give up his point. "I just want to ask you, though, why couldn't the Silly Creature see me? Is it blind or am I invisible?"

Cantus answered, "Invisibility is in the eye of the beholder. The answer is The Song of Songs."

Eagerly Red asked, "But tell us, how does The Song of Songs go?"

"If you listen, you will hear your part. For you are all part of the song! And the song is all part of you."

Mokey said to Red, "He's right! I do hear my part!" She started humming.

Red responded, "Hey, so do I!' She began singing with Mokey.

Gobo said, "I don't wanna hear my part. I want to go back to Outer Space!"

Red had tuned him out. "Hey! When can we sing The Song of Songs?"

"Yeah, yeah!" Wembley enthused.

Cantus declared, "We will sing The Song of Songs when we hear The Honk of Honks!"

"The Honk of Honks?" Red repeated, puzzled.

"The Honk of Honks. And one of you must honk it!"

Gobo said, "Yeah, one of you can honk The Honk of Honks. I'm going back to Outer Space." He turned to leave.

"And that one is Gobo!"

Gobo stopped, then turned back. "What?"

Wembley, thrilled, said, "Gobo, did you hear that? You, of all the Fraggles in the Rock, get to honk The Honk of Honks! Wow! Wow! Wow!"

"But…why me?"

Cantus answered, "Because you are you."

Red griped, "Gobo has all the luck."

Cantus turned to her and shook his head. "Well, yes…" He nodded. "…and no."

"Well, what is The Honk of Honks, anyway?" Gobo asked.

"It's bigger than all of us because it is all of us. So go now and find The Honk of Honks! The Song of Songs begins after the third snack. You have until then." He walked away, leaving them with that puzzle.

Boober chose that moment to enter the hall, wearing his apron and carrying a tray of cookies, and cheerfully announced, "Snack time!" Thrilling songs intimidated him, but he was at home with food. Everyone hurried over for some.

Across the hall, Cantus saw Gobo leave the hall, tail lashing. He followed him at a distance, munching a lemon swirl.

Gobo led him through a rising tunnel. The limestone gave way to strange straight rocks, all the same size, with white lines between them, and thick metal poles running horizontally across the space, at just the right height for an incautious Fraggle to bang his head on. The geometry was Doozer-ish, he thought as he waited, hearing Gobo's voice coming faintly through a tunnel in the flat wall.

Gobo came through the tunnel and nearly walked into Cantus. "Oh, I can't believe it! Cantus! The most amazing thing just happened."

Cantus shook his head and raised a hand, stopping Gobo. "The most amazing thing is The Song of Songs. But it will not start without The Honk of Honks, remember? Now you know what you must do, so do it! Now!" He walked off before Gobo could protest.

Of course Gobo would be frustrated, Cantus knew. Gobo was brave, intelligent, and adventurous. But he was also young, and often did not look past the surface to the true meaning. He had to learn to see with more than his eyes, and the only way to learn that was to do it. Cantus knew that from long experience.

When Cantus returned to the Great Hall, Gobo following reluctantly behind, the cave was full of Fraggles practicing their part of The Song of Songs. Wembley saw him first. "Hail, Cantus!" he cheerfully exclaimed.

"Hail, Wembley."

"Hail, Gobo!"

"Hi, Wembley," Gobo muttered.

Red asked, "Hey, Gobo, have you found The Honk of Honks yet?"

Mokey, Wembley, and Red were all listening eagerly. Gobo paused, then admitted, "No, I haven't even looked yet."

"What?" Wembley said.

Red rolled her eyes. "Well, get going, Gobo! What're you waiting for?"

Boober bounced into the hall with another tray. "Second snack!"

Wembley said, "Oh, hail Boober! Hail snacks! He went over to Gobo and said, "Gobo, you better hurry! One more snack and then it's time to sing The Song of Songs."

Annoyed, Gobo started off, saying, "All right, all right! The Honk of Honks can't be that difficult to find."

Cantus was standing in front of the stone Fraggle Horn. He said, "Not if you see when you look."

Gobo exclaimed, "The Fraggle Horn! Of course!" He went around to the mouthpiece, drew in a big breath, and blew. The sound echoed through the Great Hall and the passages beyond. Gobo said to Cantus, "That's it, right?"

Murray, shaking his head, said, "Wrong."

Cantus elucidated, "Right and wrong."

"Huh?!"

"That's part of it, but not all of it."

"What?!"

Red said, "You heard him, Gobo. That's part of it, but not all of it. Go find the rest!"

Gobo asked Cantus, "But where do I look?"

"Wherever there is something to find."

Cantus sauntered away, leaving Gobo with one more piece of the puzzle.

Gobo went up the tunnel that led to the Gorgs' Garden. When he returned he had a strange, battered, curly thing like a bent pipe that flared at one end. He attached it to the Fraggle Horn. Murray remarked, "You're sure this is it, are you? Because if you're wrong you're wastin' our time."

Cantus said, "No time is wasted time."

"Right. I forgot."

Gobo said, "Oh, don't worry. One Honk of Honks, comin' right up!"

He blew into the mouthpiece. The two horns made different sounds which somehow harmonized. But it wasn't enough. The Minstrels listened, shaking their heads.

"Well?" Gobo asked Cantus.

"It's part of it, but not all of it. You see, we're all part of everything, and everything is a part of us."

Cantus left again. The Minstrels watched as Gobo tried to figure out Cantus's riddle, despite the distraction Wembley provided.

Boober, who had just finished distributing his latest offering, said, "Third snack is over!"

"Oh boy!" Mokey said.

Wembley, who had been rehearsing his part while standing on his hands, turned rightside up and cried, "Ooh, that means it's time for The Song of Songs!" He was vibrating with excitement.

Cantus said, "Correction: it's time for The Honk of Honks."

Red said, "But where's Gobo?"

Gobo hustled into the hall, carrying some strange things. "Here I am! And I've definitely got it all this time!"

Everybody watched as Gobo fitted a funnel-like device he had borrowed from the Doozers to a pink, Gorg-sized hair curler, then attached them both to the curved pipe. When he finished he said to Cantus, "There! Ready?"

"If you are."

Gobo took a deep breath, then blew hard. The chord, ranging from the deep bellow of the Fraggle horn to the squeak of the curler, was impressive. But it was still incomplete.

Gobo said, "Well? Aren't you going to start The Song of Songs?"

With a show of regret Cantus said, "We would if we could, but we can't, so we shan't."

Shocked, Gobo said, "What?"

"That wasn't The Honk of Honks."

"It wasn't?!"

Cantus raised his voice. "Sorry, everyone, The Song of Songs is canceled."

All the Fraggles exclaimed in dismay. Gobo said, "Hey, now, wait a minute!"

Cantus told him, "You did what you did. It might have been all; it wasn't enough."

"Hey! But—but wait!"

Cantus turned away. Gobo's friends tried to comfort him, but Gobo was still angry at himself for failing. When he said, "Isn't there anything I can do?" Cantus looked back.

"You could have done everything. You did something. And now…there's nothing."

Gobo wandered despondently out of the Great Hall. He had failed. He had disappointed everyone. He didn't want to look anyone else in the face now. He walked back up the tunnel to Outer Space, muttering, "There's nothing like blowin' it to make you feel like you blew it. I've let everyone down. And there's nothing I can do about it." He looked up, started to see Canus waiting silently. "Cantus."

Cantus had anticipated he would come this way. He said quietly, "What's done is done. What is, is. What was, was. What will be, will be."

"What're you talking about?"

Cantus pointed. "You. What you haven't done."

"But I did everything I could."

"In that case, let's talk about something different which might be the same."

Gobo let out a breath and began walking. "I don't feel like it."

Cantus walked with him. "You did when you first came this morning. What was it you were so excited about?"

Gobo turned away. "Oh…it's not important now."

"Everything is important. Either than, or nothing is. I prefer the former."

"Well, it was just—I was excited because the Silly Creature couldn't see me."

Cantus nodded. "Ah, yes. The Silly Creature is one of those."

"Those what?"

"Those who can't see, see?"

"No…"

"Takes one to know one."

"But why couldn't it see me?"

Gently Cantus said, "Listen. I'm going to make this simple. Has the Silly Creature ever touched you?"

"Oh, no, I'm much too fast for it."

It, Cantus noted. As if the Silly Creature was a thing, not a person. Of course 'it' couldn't see Gobo; neither was real to the other yet. He asked, "Have you ever touched the Silly Creature?"

"No. Why should I?"

"'Cause you need to. You must let the Silly Creature touch you, and you must touch him. Once touched, he will see, and so will you."

"But, why?" Gobo asked, genuinely puzzled.

"Why not? And remember, you don't need your hand to touch just as you don't need your eyes to see."

"But-"

Cantus said softly and earnestly, "Do it for me. Do it for yourself. Do it for everyone."

"Okay. If you say so!"

Cantus walked off. He couldn't have made it any clearer. Gobo would figure it out. He had to. He couldn't come this far only to fall short. He must take the final step!

Cantus returned to the Great Hall. It was filled with Fraggles. They all looked at him with pleading eyes. He answered their unspoken question: "What is done may yet be undone, and what is yet undone may be done," and walked over to the modified Fraggle Horn to wait.

They did not have to wait long. Soon Cantus ran into the great hall holding a small, colorful thing in his hands and shouting, "Cantus! I finally got it all-" He stopped, startled, when he saw that the hall was full of Fraggles, all looking expectantly at him.

Cantus saw the alien object in Gobo's hands. He had done it! Cantus said, "We've been waiting for you. The Song of Songs is about to begin."

"But…well…I mean…well, how did you know?"

Murray quipped, "He's not wise for nothin', you know?"

Cantus told Gobo, "And now it is time to honk The Honk of Honks."

Gobo hurried over to the Fraggle Horn and attached the party squeaker Doc had given him to the Fraggle Horn. He said, "Ready?"

Cantus answered, "Ready!"

Gobo drew in a breath, then blew as hard as he could. The chord made by the horn composed of artifacts from the Trash Heap, Fraggles, Doozers, Gorgs, and Outer Space vibrated through the rock. Mighty waves of sound reached outward, to the Doozers' building site, into the Gorgs' garden, and even as far as Doc's workshop, linking them all with music.

Fraggle Rock, The Honk of Honks (heavily excerpted here), and all characters are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. The overall story is copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Another fun chapter! I definitely like seeing how Cantus might have been momentarily disappointed by not getting to see all the events that happened around the Rock, but it is enough for him that they happened. Plus I do like seeing Boober serve his snacks!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er... Cantus ran in with the alien object to show himself? And who's this "Canus" character?

Small nitpicks aside... I've always loved that line, how you don't need hands to touch someone just as you don't need eyes to see.
Thanks for posting, here's looking forward to some original fic for this fic for a change. :smirk:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Oh, poopie. I hate it when I switch names around. This is just a little odd; my best goof was having Janken bark into the telephone in A Wandering Heart. As for Canus, that's a bit of foreshadowing for a later chapter in which it is revealed that once per lunar cycle Cantus grows fangs and howls at the moon. Now you know why the other Minstrels never question Cantus. Lycanthropes aren't vegetarians!

If anyone else is reading this: thoughts on the transcript-fic thing? It's not something I plan to repeat, and to be honest I was a little leery of those chapters, as it just seems a little "off" to take a TV episode and add to it. It's certainly not something I'd hope to encourage. I only went with it because those segments are crucial to the story, and without them the fic would have made little sense. So--opinions, anyone?

By the way, while listening to MUP3s from the animated Fraggle Rock series, I realized that Cantus sounds like Weird Al Yankovic.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Because they're plotpoints for the story, and since you weave the actions to help the reader know what's going on, I like your use of the transcriptorator. If you don't want to use it in other stories, that's your call. Just hope this one keeps rolling rolling rolling on, it'll be rolling rolling on.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Heh, "transcriptorator". I like that word.

Never fear, I'll somehow bumble through. The next chapters will take Our Heroes to a location you probably wouldn'e expect. The Minstrels gotta keep moving!

I definitely like seeing how Cantus might have been momentarily disappointed by not getting to see all the events that happened around the Rock, but it is enough for him that they happened.
He was momentarily dismayed, yes. They hadn't needed his guidance after all? What was he doing here, then? On second thought, however, he was quite pleased that these Fraggles didn't need him to guide them every step of the way. They were learning important lessons by themselves, so his time here was not wasted. If anyone would get the message, they would!

Slackbot

Reaction score
What could break Cantus's heart?

The Minstrel's Path
Part 26
by Kim McFarland

The Minstrels had been traveling north for some time. They had started soon after the thaw, and now…well, it was hard to tell what time of year it was. It seemed like it should have been warmer. The farther north they journeyed, the cooler the overall climate became. That was why they had started out when they did. They wanted to arrive during the warmest part of the year.

When the Minstrels reached an underground river, Cantus and Murray stopped and stared, puzzling the other Minstrels. Brio asked, "What's wrong?"

Murray said, "There's a bridge."

Cantus asked, "Who built it?"

Murray tested it with his foot, as if to assure himself that it was real. The wood creaked slightly but held firm. He said, "Either or. Maybe both."

"Both would have to agree to it," Cantus said.

Murray nodded. He told Brool, Brio, and Balsam, "This river is kind of a dividing line between territories. Before, any bridge over it was temporary, little more than a sturdy board, and it was always taken away when it wasn't being used. This one's built to last. Looks like things have changed since we left."

Instead of crossing the bridge, they turned east and entered another tunnel. When they could hear voices in the distance Cantus took the Magic Pipe out of the bindings of his backpack. The others took their cue, except for Murray, who already had his guitar in hand. Cantus stopped and gestured Murray forward. They looked at each other for a moment, then Murray nodded and took the lead, playing his guitar. Cantus followed, playing softly on the pipe.

They entered a long gallery. More lanky, green-furred creatures like Murray had been drawn by the music. They looked at them in amazement—but not alarm or hostility. Things had changed. Cantus remembered the way they had eyed him at first, so long ago. Warlike Fraggle, beware of it! But the children hadn't known any better, and had listened to his music, and stopped being afraid. And by now they were grown up and had children of their own.

When they finished Murray spoke. None of the others could understand what he said; it was another language, full of vowel sounds and hums. The other creatures there were momentarily startled. Then they started grinning. One snickered.

Puzzled, Murray said, "What's so funny?"

Another Pisca answered, "Your accent. You talk like a Fraggle."

Murray shrugged. "Oh, yeah. Well, that happens when you travel with a Fraggle for half a lifetime." He gestured at the rest of the troupe. "We are The Minstrels. We travel throughout the Rock, playing our music for all."

"M'rray?" another Pisca asked.

He looked at her. She looked different, but he knew the voice. Edrra. He said, "Yes. It's been a while."

"I did not think you would still be alive."

"Well, I am."

She looked uneasy. He could guess why. The obvious subject made him uncomfortable too, so he changed it. "The bridge. Who built it?"

Cantus, guessing that Murray would be a while, started playing his pipe softly. The others joined in, giving the other Pisca something to listen to.

She answered, "We and the Fraggles did. We trade things." She shrugged.

"That's great."

"M'rray, have you returned?"

She didn't have to say that as if it would be a calamity, did she? "No. I'm only visiting. My home is with The Minstrels. We travel." He glanced over at the Minstrels.

"You have no real home? Or family?"

She looked as if she pitied him! He said, "Where they are, that's my home. They are my family. Cantus is my brother-found."

She shook her head. "A Fraggle? I don't understand, M'rray."

"You never did. That makes both of us." He smiled a little wryly. "Smile. Listen to the music. Forget the past. I have."

"That's the wisest thing you've ever said."

Some things don't change. He said, "You have a mate now?"

"Yes. And children."

"Then why worry about me?" He walked back to the Minstrels and joined their tune.

After they finished Murray said in a low voice to Cantus, "How about we move on."

"So soon?"

"Yeah."

Something was bothering Murray. Cantus nodded.

In the twisty tunnel leading to the river, Cantus asked, "Who was the one who mispronounced your name?"

"She wasn't mispronouncing it. That's my name. M'rray."

Surprised, Cantus said, "Mray?"

"No. M'rray."

"All this time I've been mispronouncing it? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Heh. You say it with a Fraggle accent, that's all."

Cantus tried again. "Mrray."

"No, no. That sounds weird coming from you. I'm used to Murray, so let's stick with that, okay?"

"All right." A person had the right to decide what they would be called, Cantus told himself. Still, he was not happy to learn that he had been mispronouncing his closest friend's name all along.

"Anyway, they built the bridge together, and they trade now."

"That's wonderful."

"It certainly is a change."

"Why did you want to leave so soon?"

Murray stopped walking and sighed. He could just tell Cantus that it was none of his business, and the Fraggle would accept that and move on. But he really didn't want to keep secrets. "She was someone in my life."

Cantus looked at him, puzzled. He had never mentioned her before.

Murray went on, "All right, she was my mate, long ago. All Pisca are supposed to be paired off, that's just the way it is. She and I, well, it wasn't the best match. We didn't hate it, but, well, there just wasn't anything there. We probably would have been good friends if we'd been just friends. When I left it was a relief for both of us. Oh, don't look at me like that, it's not like we had children."

"You left your mate to travel with me?" Cantus said in disbelief.

"Yep. And I don't regret a minute of it," Murray said firmly. "And it freed her up to find someone else and get on with her life, so it was best for everybody."

They looked at each other for a moment. Then Cantus said, "Crazy Pisca."

Murray smiled. "Yeah. Let's move on."

When they got close to the Fraggle colony Cantus paused. A familiar scent led him to a cluster of pointy-capped, spongelike mushrooms. He picked one and, looking at it closely, said, "I haven't seen one of these since we went south." He bit in. It tasted as good as he remembered, and brought back surprisingly vivid memories.

The other Minstrels looked at the mushrooms. Brio and Balsam each picked one and sampled it. They found the taste pleasant enough. Brool didn't bother; the scent didn't appeal to him. Murray had tried these once, long ago, and knew he didn't like them.

The Minstrels made their way to the Fraggle Colony. Cantus closed his eyes as he walked, playing the Magic Pipe. Music and memories guided him back to the place where he was born.

The acoustics changed. Now they were in an open cavern. He could hear the echoes of the music off distant stone walls, and the soft sounds made by many attentive Fraggles. He opened his eyes and saw the cave of his home, exactly the same as it had been when he grew up here, then same as it had been for millions of days and would be for millions of days to come. He lowered his pipe and began to sing,
"Music grows in the rose,
Rock and rain and the blowin' snowstorm.
Everything seems to sing
Everywhere I go..."

Murray could hear the passion in Cantus's voice. He really was keyed up. Well, no wonder, he thought, and sang along with him.

When they finished the song Cantus raised a hand, palm outward, in salute and said, "Hail, Fraggles. We are the Minstrels. We travel throughout the Rock, bringing together its peoples with music. We have traveled to the south, to the east, and to the west, and now we are here in the north."

"What are you?"

The question was asked not out of suspicion, but in honest curiosity. "I am Cantus, and I was born in this colony. This is Murray, who came from the Pisca colony on the other side of the bridge. From the south come Brool, who is of the Ainu; Balsam, of the Thrumb; and Brio, a southern Fraggle. Though we come from different peoples, we sing our songs together."

"Can we sing with you?" asked a young, eager Fraggle.

"Absolutely. All of you are invited to join in the music, because the music belongs to all of us!"

They played and sang for some time. It was a little like a Fraggle Medley; the Minstrels provided the idea of the song, and the colony's Fraggles built on it and made it their own. Stone soup music, Murray called it. It went on for a long time, and wound down only because the participants had sung themselves out for the time being and wanted rest and food.

A Fraggle came up and spoke slowly and deliberately to Murray. It sounded like gibberish to Cantus. Murray's eyes widened. He replied.

Though Cantus had no idea what they were saying, he understood now. This Fraggle had learned to speak Pisca—or was still learning, from the careful way he spoke—and wanted to show off his skill. Cantus smiled. The bridge was not only over the river. The bridge was in people's minds as well.

"Jago?"

An old Fraggle, his fur and hair pale with age, came up to the Minstrels. He sat on a boulder and looked at Cantus. "Jago, is that you?"

Cantus had not recognized him until he spoke. "Tunesmith?"

The old Fraggle waved a hand. "No longer. Cheel is now the Tunesmith. I've taken back my name. Shonky. Call me that."

"I'm happy to see you again," Cantus said warmly.

Shonky smiled and nodded. He said, "You did it, didn't you? I never really understood what you were trying to do, but it looks like this is it."

Cantus sat beside him. "We are all part of the world. Our differences are not as important as our similarities. Music is our common ground, and that is why we travel throughout the Rock."

Shonky studied him, then said, "It makes no sense to me, but not much does these days. If that is your calling and you're happy, then I'm glad."

Gently Cantus said, "I want to leave the world a better place than I found it. If our music can bring people together, I will have succeeded."

Shonky nodded "You…you took a new name, didn't you? I'm sorry, I don't remember it."

Cantus was unoffended. It was normally an insult to call someone by a childhood name rather than their chosen name, but he could not blame Shonky for being forgetful. "Yes. My name is Cantus."

"Cantus. Cantus," the old Fraggle repeated, trying to commit it to memory. "Where do you live now?"

"We travel the rock."

"Don't you have a home? A colony, a family?"

Cantus smiled. This was the one point that most people found hardest to believe. "The Rock is our home, and we Minstrels are a family. The colonies we visit welcome us."

"Still, it's a shame, never even having children."

Cantus chuckled. "I have sired fifteen children in twelve colonies. Two of them have children of their own."

That startled Shonky. "Fifteen children? And I thought music was the only thing on your mind."

Cantus heard a stifled laugh from Murray. Calmly he said, "It is an honor I have been given many times."

Shonky shook his head. "I don't know when you found time for music. You certainly will have made the world a better populated place."

Cantus merely nodded. There was no malice behind Shonky's remarks. Shonky started to say something, then looked curiously at Cantus. "Jago…I was going to say something…" He shook his head. "My memory is bad. I can remember things that happened when I was young, but not what I'm talking about." He laughed apologetically. "That's what happens when you live a long time."

"At least you still have your flute."

"No," Shonky said, shaking his head. "I retired many, many days ago."

Cantus was shocked wordless for a moment. He said, "You were the Tunesmith!"

Gently Shonky said, "That was my job. When it came time for me to retire, I was glad to put down my flute. Not everybody lives and breathes music, Jago."

Cantus felt a tightness in his chest. How could the Tunesmith have given up on music? He had shaped Cantus's skills, challenged and frustrated him back when that was what he had needed to set him on his path. Cantus could not imagine wanting to live without singing and playing music. Music was life itself!

But, he told himself, that was not true for everyone. Even his old master could tire of making music. Cantus must accept that. He said, "I would like to play for you, Tunesmith."

"I'm retired. Cheel is the Tunesmith now," Shonky told him.

"You were my Tunesmith. If you will call me Jago, I will call you that."

"You took a new name…" He searched his memory.

"May I play for you?"

"Yes. I like to listen, at least."

Cantus sat on the stone floor in front of Shonky, legs crossed, like a student in front of his teacher. He raised the Magic Pipe and began to play.

Murray looked over. He recognized that tune, though he had only heard it once, over half a lifetime ago. The other Minstrels, assuming this to be a cue, laid hands on their instruments, but Murray held out a hand, stopping them. This was a private moment between Cantus and his erstwhile mentor.

Shonky closed his eyes and listened to the pleasant tune. When Cantus finished Shonky said, "You play beautifully."

"Do you remember that song?" Cantus asked.

"My memory is bad. I'm sorry. I may have heard it before, but I don't know where."

"When I first brought Murray to visit this colony, Fraggles weren't friendly with Pisca. When we came in, we played this tune, Murray on his guitar and me on my pipe. People stared at us, not sure what to do about the alien I had brought into our home. Then you came over and, on your flute, joined with us. If you hadn't done that, things might have turned out very differently. I am grateful."

Shonky paused a long time. Then he whispered. "I wish I could remember that. I'm glad that it happened."

Cantus said, "You taught me everything you could, and you trusted and supported me even when you didn't understand. You did not have the answers I was looking for, and because of that, I went out and found my own answers. That was not what I wanted, but it was what I needed. Thank you."

Murray came over. He said, "Thanks from me too. I remember the day you played with us too."

Shonky smiled. "You're welcome, both of you. Jago, you said you both played it. Would you both play it now?"

"Of course," Cantus answered.

Murray sat beside Cantus, guitar in his lap. "Sure thing."

Shonky closed his eyes and listened. He still could not recall that day, he thought he could hear a flute in the distance of time.

Fraggle Rock and all characters except Edrra and Shonky are copyright © The Jim Henson Company and are used without permission but with much respect and affection. Edrra, Shonky, and the overall story are copyright © Kim McFarland (negaduck9@aol.com). Permission is given by the author to copy it for personal use only.